300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy Prep

Hey guys new poster, and was wondering the best way to prepare for the academy. I have been doing parking enforcement and I am finally ready for the academy since Im out of school. My departments special officer academy is in the end of October so I have roughly 4 months to bust my *** into shape. I was thinking crossfit, or MMA training as the PT consists of push ups, sit ups, mile run, squat thrust (or 50 yard dash it may be changed) and pull ups. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried doing a Search on this site. This sounds like something we have answered many times.
    #1 expectation we have of Recruits/Trainees: Use your resources before asking us to give you the answer. (This also might be a good question in the New Jersey site.)

Comment

Originally posted by eagleI View Post
      Have you tried doing a Search on this site. This sounds like something we have answered many times.
      #1 expectation we have of Recruits/Trainees: Use your resources before asking us to give you the answer. (This also might be a good question in the New Jersey site.)

Great advice^^^^^ In addition, I'll add this. Hopefully, you've developed good study habits, and the ability to take notes. I fully realize that times have changed, and many years have passed since my academy days.

Still, some things never change. One of those is the dedication which will be required of you to successfully complete all the academics which will be thrown at you. There will be ZERO ability to procrastinate on any project or assignment(s). Should you fall behind, you'll never catch up. There simply won't be time......even at twenty six weeks. All of this is in addition to the physical aspects of the academy you've referenced.

If you're a family person, your family life will suffer. Your family will have to be just about as dedicated to your successful completion of the academy as you are. If you study well with a group, consider that as you progress through the academy. OTH, if you study and absorb better privately, do that.

Keeping up with all of your academics, submitting any required assignments on time, having your uniforms and gear ready for inspection, can mean that you'll have at least one day of the weekend off to spend, either with your family, or as you so choose.

Sunday night though, hit the rack early enough to get a good night's sleep, and be up at the required time. All of the above, especially the self discipline and dedication will apply, even if you attend a relatively laid-back academy. It will be more applicable if your academy is of the military type.

Best of luck as you enter this phase of your career.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
        Great advice^^^^^ In addition, I'll add this. Hopefully, you've developed good study habits, and the ability to take notes. I fully realize that times have changed, and many years have passed since my academy days.

Still, some things never change. One of those is the dedication which will be required of you to successfully complete all the academics which will be thrown at you. There will be ZERO ability to procrastinate on any project or assignment(s). Should you fall behind, you'll never catch up. There simply won't be time......even at twenty six weeks. All of this is in addition to the physical aspects of the academy you've referenced.

If you're a family person, your family life will suffer. Your family will have to be just about as dedicated to your successful completion of the academy as you are. If you study well with a group, consider that as you progress through the academy. OTH, if you study and absorb better privately, do that.

Keeping up with all of your academics, submitting any required assignments on time, having your uniforms and gear ready for inspection, can mean that you'll have at least one day of the weekend off to spend, either with your family, or as you so choose.

Sunday night though, hit the rack early enough to get a good night's sleep, and be up at the required time. All of the above, especially the self discipline and dedication will apply, even if you attend a relatively laid-back academy. It will be more applicable if your academy is of the military type.

Best of luck as you enter this phase of your career.
        just did a search sorry about the duplicate thread, and great advice thank you

Comment

Your cross fit idea is a good one, and it's never a bad idea to bang out sit-ups/push-ups daily, but I got really into sprint-distance triathlon before I went to the academy and had a great time. I was in the best shape of my life and since PT scores (and probably yours too) were linked to overall grades, it was really helpful. Plus there's something to be said for actually enjoying your workout and learning to push past your exhaustion. Oh, and do bring an iron and ironing board to the academy. You'll be hero to the guys that didn't.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10752 users online. 526 members and 10226 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X