300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is provided by the department?

I am pretty close to completing backgrounds, and if all goes well will be in a July Academy as a sponsored cadet. Generally speaking, what is provided by the department and what would I have to purchase as a sponsored cadet?

If it's of any assistance, it would be Bakersfield PD, CA.

Thanks.

Wouldn't it be wiser to ask them (the people who actually know the answer to your question) than the rest of us, who would simply be guessing?

Comment

My thought was to get a general idea of what I will be purchasing to have an idea of how much I will be spending. Money isn't an issue, I just like to have things somewhat in order, but I don't want to ask a bunch of questions to my BI and then have him irritated with me while he wraps it up.

If anyone wants to provide any general info, awesome. If it's almost always dept specific, then that is fine too.

Thanks.

Comment

It all depends on the department. For my academy i have to supply everything, I've spent about $2,000 on the good stuff plus a firearm. Meanwhile the agency next to my town issued them everything.

Comment

The sponsoring agency should be able to assist you in this question. A previous post made this point to you, very clearly, very validly. Much of your success, or lack thereof, is going to depend on your ability to read and understand clear and concise English.

Sounds a little harsh, I know. But, simply inquire of your sponsoring agency. Problem solved.

Comment

California law requires that an employer issue all safety equipment at no charge.

Basics should include your weapon, ammo, cuffs, most (but not all) leather, baton, OC, flashlight, walkie talkie. Beyond that what constitutes “Safety Equipment” is usually negotiated by the Police Association and is usually found in their Memorandum of Understanding or MOU, which is their contract. Strangely enough, the current BPD MOU only mentions vests. http://www.bakersfieldcity.us/admini...026-13_all.pdf

BPD may or may not issue more, such as academy uniforms. As the others have said, your best bet is to ask BPD. Saba Uniform in Bakersfield usually takes care of everyone in the south part of the valley. They should have everything BPD does not provide.

In addition, make an effort to read the above MOU. It will tell you a lot about agreements the Association has made with the Department as to how you will be treated, benefits you will or will not receive, etc.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thanks L-1. A lot of good information in there. I appreciate you taking the time to find that for me, as I had never seen or heard of an MOU.

Comment

For my first Academy, I had to buy my own uniform (Dockers), shoes, and PT gear, as well as 2 locks for 2 lockers. Vest, belt, pins, and duty gear was provided.

For the second, I had to buy my own backpack, shoes, PT gear, and a lock. The uniform, vest, and duty gear was provided.
                The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                that we are all that stands between
                the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8312 users online. 287 members and 8025 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X