Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I able to make it?

Hello,
    I applied for the MNPD (Nashville) and passed the pre-test with excellence.
    I always wanted to be a law enforcement officer. Now that I am accepted for the July 2013 academy I have a little bit of a concern that I am not able to get through the physical training.

I am 47 years now. I don’t smoke, drink or do drugs. I work out at the gym regularly and also run twice a week.
    But I am not sure if I can compete with the younger generation in the academy.
    Can anyone of the experienced PO give me some advice?

Thank you

you don't have to compete with the younger people.

You only need to meet the minimum hiring / graduation standards . If you are able to meet the standards you will pass...............ONLY you know what your true fitness level is
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

would'nt worry so much about others as i would focus on your own academics and physical fitness to get through the academy. if you know what the academy expects of you set some personal goals and work towards them before the start of the academy.
      sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

Owning to the fact that I am not familiar with this academies physical training regimen I can only offer some general advice: if you are in shape now; get in better shape starting tomorrow. Most academies screen you before hand and if you pass, you are in; it is then gradually increased in intensity level until graduation. Things like defensive tactics and the like are usually crawl, walk, run. You are not expected to be at graduation day level on day 1.
        Originally posted by SSD
        It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
        Originally posted by Iowa #1603
        And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Since this is your first post I will match you with my first one.

First of all you need the mindset that no matter what happens, failure is not an option. If you have a family this will make more sense. Second, we had a guy who was 43 in our academy. Our academy was para-military with tough daily PT and this guy did not seem to be in amazing shape when he came in, but passed (Cooper test standards). He was later washed out during his probationary field training for not being assertive enough, but that's another story.

PT should be important to everyone, especially a cop.

As Sgt Jon already stated, assuming you pass the entrance standards, academy staff is just looking for improvement over the course of the academy.
          Last edited by cantorzorn ; 03-06-2013, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Yes you can do it. Don't worry about the young bucks.
            1*

Comment

Don't know about your academy - some are more physically demanding than others - but I went through the Oregon DPSST academy at age 47 and it was no problem. I'm was the oldest in my class and am not in excellent shape but in terms of fitness, I was probably middle of the pack. You'll see some youngsters in terrible shape.

Comment

your 22 year old recruit must run 1.5miles in 11:30 You may have to run it in 14.10 Both can be done by a 47 year old. once you nail your requirements, I'd advance from there. If you never ran before and get a 15;55on the mile and a half, u have about two weeks worth or training to do.

They may jump higher,run faster but you may fini9sh before them at the academy.

Comment

I too am a bit older, 59. I start my academy in 8 weeks. I think the mindset is the most important thing. Just believe in yourself. I am in really great shape now. My background detective believes in me and that I will pass as do my panel interview team. They told me that I am in better shape then some of these 30 year olds. Hang in there... as will I!

Comment

In my academy class, we have a total of 34 students. Our class leader is 46 years old and outruns/lasts 70% of our class. I'm 22, and he beats me most of the time. Age doesn't mean you can't compete with the youth, my advice to you is to start jogging/running atleast a 1-2 miles daily before you start to academy. Even if you have to walk half of it, start building up your cardio. You have a good bit of time before you start the academy so take advantage of it!

Good luck!
                    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
                    -Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Keep working out regularly, continuously improving.

DON'T QUIT.

You'll be fine.

JUST DON'T QUIT.

Comment

Well, I was going to offer some "wisdom" to you, but my colleagues have covered it. They usually do. Read back through their thoughts. Not a bad one in the bunch. Go for it, and best of luck.

Comment

Thank you all. I am more worry about if I don't make it through the academy and may don't get hired after, I gave up a great job which I have right now. But my fulfilment would be to become a Police Officer. This thought let me sleep bad right now.
                          When I did the pre-test three weeks ago we past a class room with 26 people in and were told that this was the rest of 105 applicants from the last pre-test who made it into the academy. A lot quit and some where fired due some stupid things they made during the academy outside. I am not worry about doing stupid things. lol
                          Like I wrote before, just worry about not to make it. With 47 it is hard to get a good job again these days.

Comment

Try being 34 and a diabetic with an insulin pump...I would trade you your age for my diabetes..lol..What I'm saying is that you can do it. I too am concerned about my condition and how it will effect me when I enter an academy, so what I am doing is pushing myself now in preparation for when I am excepted. I am doing the Insanity workouts and I am having no trouble keeping up. That being said. YOU CAN DO IT, just like the others that have responded you have to go in with the mindset that failure is not an option and that nothing will prevent you from walking across that stage and getting a badge pinned on your chest. Keep working out, keep running and good luck

Comment

I'm in a similar situation, I'm 41 and leave for the academy in April. Several folks have made the comments about my age, I laugh to myself. I see my age as an advantage period, and you need to get the same mind-set. Nothing trumphs realworld experience.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3249 users online. 148 members and 3101 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X