300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running shoes for academy?

My old Nike's are over 5 years old and I'd like to get a fresh new pair of running shoes for the academy. Can anyone recommend me a good pair that will last all 6 months? I really like the NB M3090 but some of the reviews say it has durability issues. Thanks!
    Serving Anne Arundel County since 2005

I just bought brooks for my academy. So far so good!
    I recommend going to a shoe/running specific store. One where they can watch you walk and tell you exactly what kind of shoe you need.

Comment

I suggest going to a running store and having a gait analysis done. You might end up spending more than $60 for a decent pair of running shoes, but it will be worth it.

Keep in mind that the insoles are generally made of very cheap materials and wear out a lot faster than aftermarket ones. Most original insoles will wear out well before the outsoles on a decent pair of running shoes.

I currently alternate between a pair of asics and a pair of new balance. Both have spenco polysorb total support insoles and this combo works for me.

Comment

We did do running and PT in our academy, but half the time it was on the spot punishment for something or other, so we were doing it in our boots and BDUs.

For "scheduled" PT/runs, I had a pair of Asics that did fine.
        "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

The Asics Nimbus 14. They're expensive, but great.

Comment

Buy an actual pair of "running shoes" not just the "newest kicks in town." A quality pair (Brooks, Asics, New Balance, etc) will cost upwards of $100. I suggest going to a running shoe store and having them put you on a treadmill and film you running, they will be able to recommend a specific shoes that will fit your needs. Once you have that suggestion go to promotive.com and buy a pair for a good discount 25%? (sign up immediately because it takes a few days to verify).

You should not wear shoes past 500 miles or 2 years, whichever comes first.

Comment

Originally posted by Ransom View Post
              My old Nike's are over 5 years old and I'd like to get a fresh new pair of running shoes for the academy. Can anyone recommend me a good pair that will last all 6 months? I really like the NB M3090 but some of the reviews say it has durability issues. Thanks!
              A few people have mentioned them already, but I'm using the Brooks GTS 12s in my academy, and they are great. The running store I got them from did the gait analysis, and I found something in the way I roll my foot I didn't know even existed, and it helped make running a lot more comfortable for me than before. I really recommend going to a place that does this, as knee/ankle/other injuries will not be a good thing. Set me back about $100, but definitely worth the cost over a $40 pair of shoes from a non-specialty store.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
                Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12

DO IT NOW!
                This. I bought these shoes and they are excellent. I didn't notice a difference the first few run but, now that they're broken in, they are excellent. You will find that you will be able to run more effortlessly than before and will not tire out as quickly, especially if you're like me and had never had a pair of true running shoes before.
                "It is not how these officers died that makes them heroes -- It is how they lived." - Vivian A. Eney

Comment

Originally posted by Clinton41 View Post
                  This. I bought these shoes and they are excellent. I didn't notice a difference the first few run but, now that they're broken in, they are excellent. You will find that you will be able to run more effortlessly than before and will not tire out as quickly, especially if you're like me and had never had a pair of true running shoes before.
                  Not to mention that my knees don't get nearly as sore as they did if I used generic shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul150 View Post
                    Not to mention that my knees don't get nearly as sore as they did if I used generic shoes.
                    This is music to my ears. I suffer from a slight IT Band problem, sometimes if I don't spend the time to stretch it out, it rubs against the outside of my knee and ends up in me having to slow to a walking pace with extreme pain. Sometimes its fine, its kind of hit or miss. Worse case scenario, I pop an Aleve before I run to keep it from flaring up.

Comment

Get some Nike's with a Fitsole 4.....they mold perfectly to your feet after about 2 weeks.

Comment

Ransom, since you know it is your IT band, do you know how to fix it?
                        "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." -Christopher Robin.

Comment

Shoes are a frequent subject, and I often see people recommending specific brands that worked wonders for them, but this might not work for you. I posted my generalized response to picking out the best shoes "for you" in the health and fitness section.
                          "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." -Christopher Robin.

Comment

Originally posted by lilyWA View Post
                            Ransom, since you know it is your IT band, do you know how to fix it?
                            I've researched stretches to do frequently to loosen it up. I plan on getting a foam roller too to do some of those painful exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by Ransom View Post
                              I've researched stretches to do frequently to loosen it up. I plan on getting a foam roller too to do some of those painful exercises.
                              Foam rollers are miracle workers. Great to use when your just sitting around watching tv at the end of the day.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3397 users online. 149 members and 3248 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X