Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tattoos in the Academy

Hey Everybody,

First off I would like to thank anybody and everybody in the forums for posting such great information in these threads I've learned a lot in my journey to working as an LEO.

That journey also happens to be just around the corner. A Dept in California has notified me they are willing to hire me and put me through their academy. I spoke with the hiring Sgt. about my tattoos, the visible ones at least. I have a full sleeve on my left arm, and he notified me of the fact that while on duty I could only have limited exposure, and I agree 100% for many reasons.

My question is for those of you who have been sponsored through a full time academy. Do they have to be covered throughout the academy? or only until you get to Patrol?
    If so what is the best way to cover them up? a "Tat-Jacket"?

Any info helps.
    thanks.

In case you're wondering I also have a couple leg tattoos. (PT shorts)

Some academies allow you to wear a "sleeve" to cover them up. They are tight fitting and cover arms & legs. I think Under Armor makes them in black and tan.

Comment

Originally posted by eagleI View Post
      Some academies allow you to wear a "sleeve" to cover them up. They are tight fitting and cover arms & legs. I think Under Armor makes them in black and tan.
      eagleI, Thanks for getting back to me. I know he said I was allowed to wear a sleeve or any cover up. But the order was not clear on just strictly to patrol or academy session as well. Do you have tattoos that are exposed as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Have1heart View Post
        eagleI, Thanks for getting back to me. I know he said I was allowed to wear a sleeve or any cover up. But the order was not clear on just strictly to patrol or academy session as well. Do you have tattoos that are exposed as well?
        That's going to depend on their exact policy....for us, you cannot have ANY exposed ink at any time while in uniform, or while representing the department in any form or fashion.
        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

I don't have any tats but know what recruits in the academy were allowed to use. The agency may have a different policy & require you to wear long sleeves year round.

Comment

depends on the academy, if they are para-military most likely they will need to be covered. we didnt have a policy on them while in the academy, alot of guys i knew had tats. i got one on inside of my forearm and when i got hired on it has to be covered by a compression shirt or a long sleeved uniform shirt
            sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

Thanks for the great information and insight.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8399 users online. 451 members and 7948 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X