NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

How in the world did you make it through Academy?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NYCTNT
    DENIED!
    • Aug 2007

What happened to OP.
    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

• striketm
      Forum Member
      • Nov 2010

Week 10 completed. Everything makes sense now and the real police training began. 9 more weeks to go.
      Go wildcats!

Comment

• Koala45
        Forum Member
        • Aug 2010

How did I get through it? I looked at it logically. Hundreds of thousands of people have made it through academies around the country before more. Thousands of people have made it through the very academy I was in. I told myself that if they can make it, so can I. I also refused to quit and told my Sergeant once that the only was I was leaving that academy was with a badge or an injury.

Comment

• Indiana
          Forum Member
          • Nov 2010

Like all the other posters have repeated; it passes. At first the weeks ahead look like forever. Keep focused and just look at getting through the next training evolution and not at the light way at the end of the tunnel. I'm at week 20 of a 30 week academy and it STILL seems like it's passing like molasses. I'm old, in pain, wondering why the hell I'm trying to compete with 25 year old kids, and everybody is sick of each other and we all keep questioning why the hell we're here, is this really what we want to do. And it's EXACTLY the emotions thousands of other recruits have had here and everywhere else. It's a mindf**k. It's the reason all those people quit on day 1 and day 2; they couldn't get past the psychological barrier. You'll get through it. And despite time seeming to stand still at times, it actually does pass.
          “Faith in faith' he answered himself. 'It isn't necessary to have something to believe in. It's only necessary to believe that somewhere there's something worthy of belief”

Comment

• tanvalley313
            Forum Member
            • Sep 2012

I couldn't have said it better, shorter and sweeter than the first responder, "slamdunc" did... get through it. It will also be a good "self test" for you and this job. At least it was for me. Once you get through it and build a foundation, there aren't too many things you have or will go through, that can top the feeling of accomplishment when you get to graduation day. Get in the groove, work hard, bond with your classmates and breathe.

Once you handle that, the real work will begin and you'll see why the academy put you through those tests, drills, mind games and scrutiny. But, you'll be able to handle it, because YOU GOT THROUGH THE ACADEMY.

Work hard, breathe, stay safe and keep your fellow officers safe.

Comment

• Iowa #1603
              Senior Veteran
              • Aug 2007

Clearing the spammer
              I DON'T ALWAYS LIKE BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER .......Oh who the hell am I kiddingI LOVE IT. Stay safe my friends

Comment

• striketm
                Forum Member
                • Nov 2010

It's week 19 day 2. I will graduate this friday. Sometime during the early days of the academy, I almost quit but thanks to the support system and my wife, I made it to the finish line. It was challenging and I am so glad i did not quit.

There is light at the end of the tunnel and keep fighting your way to the end. Good news is the new training phase will begin during advance training and FTO.
                Go wildcats!

Comment

• Aerohead
                  BOFA
                  • Jul 2010

Originally posted by striketm
                  It's week 19 day 2. I will graduate this friday. Sometime during the early days of the academy, I almost quit but thanks to the support system and my wife, I made it to the finish line. It was challenging and I am so glad i did not quit.

There is light at the end of the tunnel and keep fighting your way to the end. Good news is the new training phase will begin during advance training and FTO.
                  Good s**t! Congratulations!
                  Originally posted by RSGSRT
                  We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                  Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

• Lady Blue
                    Bitch With A Badge
                    • Nov 2013

First, congratulations. You made it, or at least will by the end of the week.
                    My experience was that there is no "one" thing that gets you through. At times, it was a pure hard-headedness that drove me to prove to the instructors that they were not going to drive me out. Other times is was a sense of previous accomplishment that drove me forward to the next task. There were days that the only reason I didn't quit was that I did not want to face my family and admit that I had failed. There were also a time where I had firmly resolved that I was going to resign when we took our next break, but by the time that break came I had decided that I could at least hack it for the remainder of the day.
                    In God We Trust
                    Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

• resdog
                      Forum Member
                      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by LetsRollSoul
                      Yeesh...if this was the case I would NOT be getting in law enforcement. The academy was fun in its own strange way...but if its the best part of the job...ugh what is there to look forward to? Maybe it's rewarding in how it shapes you and identifies who you are deep down...but best part?

loosely reminds me of when people say to live it up in college because those are "the best years of your life"...life actually got better since college for me!
                      I wouldn't say it's the best time of your career either, life does get better. Even though, I have said that the academy is the best time of your life that you never want to do again. But you will have much more rewarding experiences after you get on the street.

Comment

• resdog
                        Forum Member
                        • Dec 2013

Originally posted by jchughes05
                        Hour by hour, Minute by minute, Second by second. You got this!!
                        It's true if you can stay positive. Short term goals makes it easier. Just remember that it's a game and they're trying to prove that you will quit. Don't quit and you'll make it. A DI gave me a resignation memo and said sign it, you can't make it. I kept it in my pocket for most of the academy to remind myself that it was my choice to quit and only my choice, not the DI's. They did find it on me during an inspection/smoke session, after that I kept it in my duty bag.

Comment

• Smoke_192
                          Forum Member
                          • Oct 2013

I am just finishing my 20th week, Graduation rehearsal is tomorrow and graduation is friday. believe me, IT GOES BY FAST! it feels like it will take forever to get to that day but when you do and look back, you will think to yourself it was just a blur. My advice to anyone going through the academy - DO NOT QUIT! think of the big picture and take it day by day. make goals for the day, make it to the first break, make it to lunch, make it to PT…etc.. The first month, they just try to get in your head and make you think you can't hack it, but you can, you gotta be strong! If you quit, you'll spend a lifetime of regret.

One instructor i just had gave the class this advice - "think of how long and how hard you tried to get this job. Now you have to work even harder to keep this job"

Comment

• striketm
                            Forum Member
                            • Nov 2010

Thank you!
                            Go wildcats!

Comment

• Che
                              Forum Member
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Smoke_192
                              One instructor i just had gave the class this advice - "think of how long and how hard you tried to get this job. Now you have to work even harder to keep this job"
                              True that. I hope they covered the warning signs of when bad things happen to good people.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 26734 users online. 72 members and 26662 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...