Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Background questions, new to forum. Please help!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background questions, new to forum. Please help!

Hello everyone!

I am scheduled to have my medical on 8/30. I have a question that's been bothering me. In 2007 I filed bankruptcy. Here it goes...I purchased a property when I was very young (bad move). The person that I purchased it from didn't expose major damages to the property. To make the story short I couldn't keep up with repairs and mortgage payments and decided to file chapter 13, dismissed. I regret it so much. I know this looks very irresponsible on my part. I contacted the recruiter help desk and explained to her my concern and was told that that might be a character issue and to explain it to my BI. I also have student loans that are differed until next year. and a voluntary repossession for a vehicle in 2009. Any thoughts, suggestions? PLEASE!!!! Would I be DQ right away for this?
    Exam #: 0308
    List #: 9**
    Medical: 08/30/2012

Bankruptcy is a legal right. Absent any evidence of fraud, the mere fact that a candidate has undergone bankruptcy cannot be the sole basis upon which employment is denied. 11 USC § 525

However, part of your background investigation will look at:

1. How you confront and overcome problems, obstacles and adversity

2. Personal accountability and responsibility

3. Financial integrity

Problem indicators in this area include past due accounts, discharged debts, late payments, collection accounts, civil judgments, and/or bankruptcy.

If your financial history reflects irresponsible conduct and a lack of due diligence on your part (not planning ahead, living beyond your means, not making reasonable efforts to make good on your debts prior to filing bankruptcy, etc.) then you may have a problem.

If you go to http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/bi.pdf and start reading at Page 149 you will get an idea of what is considered when evaluating an applicant's financial history. While this is the standard for my state, the principles are fairly universal for most of law enforcement.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

You probably won't be an instant DQ; however, if you don't have enough time between all of your " negative" accounts and proof that you've "changed" and have become more responsible and mature you will probably get DQ'd until you can show it.

With that said, you won't know and we can't say for certain what this BI will determine. Just be honest and explain yourself. My suggestion to you is to be sure you take ownership and resoponsibility over YOUR actions. In the end, you may find you will need more time to pass and proof that you are no longer naive and " very young".

Comment

It's very difficult to add to the excellent replies you've received. There's an old Latin saying, "Caveat Emptor", or "Let the buyer" beware. In retrospect that's what you should have done with regard to the house. While there may not have been full disclosure of the defects by the seller, perhaps with a little more care you would have noted them yourself. It doesn't look real good appearing to blame the whole thing on the seller.

Let me advise you of the Background Investigator's function in the hiring process. He/she is a gatherer of facts. The Background Investigation serves two basic functions.
        1). Determines whether or not the applicant meets the minimum requirements for hire.
        2). Determines whether or not there is anything in the applicant's background which would
        preclude his being hired.
        The Background Investigator reports his findings to persons more highly placed in the hiring chain.

I agree totally with my colleague's advice that you be fully forthcoming with regard to your difficulties, and that you accept full, as in total responsibility for any errors in judgement you may have made. Good luck in all your efforts.

Comment

Thank you so much everyone!
          Exam #: 0308
          List #: 9**
          Medical: 08/30/2012

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4780 users online. 184 members and 4596 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X