Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to prepare to become a state trooper

Hey,

Guys I finally decided on going into my dream career in Law Enforcement. My parents and girlfriend are full force supporting me but I don't know how to prepare physically and mentally for a paramilitary style 22 week academy. My state police have high standards and I will not give up till I am fully in shape mentally and physically for this academy in June 2013. I wanna be what they are looking for and have never had to experience anything like a polygraph or a major oral board interview. My state police also have a written exam but their study guide is like a 10 page pdf...I need to know what I can use to study....I seek help from the experts or the people with experience.

Originally posted by RIHoward View Post
    My state police also have a written exam but their study guide is like a 10 page pdf...I need to know what I can use to study....I seek help from the experts or the people with experience.
    I don't mean to burst your bubble here, but I went on line and took a look at their study guide. It's pretty clear as to what you will be tested on and what you need to study, even down to giving practice questions and books to read. I will admit though, the practice questions suck.

Perhaps the problem is that you're having difficulty comprehending what the study guide offers. If that's the case, you may not be ready for the job. A position in law enforcement requires a certain ability to read and interpret documents and follow complex instructions. If you are still drawing a blank after reading the study guide, you may not have reached the point in life where you are ready to enter the profession.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Its not that I can not read and interpret the material I just feel like that 15 page PDF isn't enough. I feel like I should take the study guide and keep that in mind while also reading other law enforcement material. I wanna know more than what the study guide gives me. The guide gives me resources to read but I don't know if those are the best textbooks to read on a career as law enforcement.

Also I need to know how to prepare physically, right now I keep in great shape as a volunteer firefighter but I don't work out on a daily basis and need some material that is written by law enforcement and not some third party company that thinks they know how to write material on instructing someone to get physically fit to be in Law Enforcement. Firefighting was a option in my life but I chose law enforcement because it was something different that I have never tried but always have had a interest in.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that preparing for any law enforcement job, you should definitely work on running and weights. What does the academy require of you in order to pass on the physical aspect? If so, here is what I found on google as far as physical requirements: http://www.risp.state.ri.us/docs/Rec...estBooklet.pdf
        As long as you can do what's in the booklet, you should be good. Good luck!
        NYPD
        Test: 2326
        Score: 97
        List #: 4xx
        Medical: Mar '14
        BI: May '14
        Psych/Oral Psych: May '14
        JST: Oct '14
        Mini-Medical: Nov '14

Comment

Its not that I can not read and interpret the material I just feel like that 15 page PDF isn't enough. I feel like I should take the study guide and keep that in mind while also reading other law enforcement material. I wanna know more than what the study guide gives me. The guide gives me resources to read but I don't know if those are the best textbooks to read on a career as law enforcement.

The Study Guide is just that, A study guide. It is not an all encompassing compendium of the questions you'll be asked. As my colleague noted, quite often, the written exam(s) seek to measure a candidate's ability to think and reason clearly.To read and follow instructions which range from simple to complex. They measure simple Math , and your proficiency in English and Grammar. Situational questions are often asked, not so much to test your experience, as none is required for an entry level position. They are asked to measure your ability to apply simple common sense , deductive and inductive reasoning. There are many good study guides and aides available to assist you, and a "Google" search should reveal some good results. The requirements for the Physical aspects of the exam are not a state secret, and should be available on the Agency website. If not, a call to a Recruiter, or a simple visit to your area State Police Post should provide you with all the information you'll need. If it's of any encouragement to you, my Agency runs a twenty six week Academy (live in). It' is a highly structured military environment, and yes, recruits do fail. OTH, a good many recruits enter the Academy with NO prior military experience. They excel at the Academy, do well in a subsequent ten week FTO Program, and become excellent Troopers. If you're currently in good physical shape, obviously, you want to maintain that. Do your research, and good luck as you enter the process.
          Also I need to know how to prepare physically, right now I keep in great shape as a volunteer firefighter but I don't work out on a daily basis and need some material that is written by law enforcement and not some third party company that thinks they know how to write material on instructing someone to get physically fit to be in Law Enforcement. Firefighting was a option in my life but I chose law enforcement because it was something different that I have never tried but always have had a interest in.

Comment

Your CRAZY! You have your foot in the door with fire-fighting & your not going through with it?! That boggles my mind! Do your homework, man! Search the net, everything is on here. Master your body-weight, boxing, MMA, sprinting and of course do some boring LDR. Blah.

I suggest you not put all your eggs in one basket, keep going for FF & pursue this dream of HP as well. You have your work cut out for you. Good luck!!

Comment

Personally I looked into firefighting as a career....I just didn't want it as bad as being a Law Enforcement Officer. I'm 18 and going to be 19 when my state police open the academy for accepted applicants and I'm afraid they will reject me because of my age. The Rhode Island State Police have a 18-35 years of age range for applicants, but my father thinks they are looking for applicants in their mid-twenties? What do you guys think?

Comment

Personally I looked into firefighting as a career....I just didn't want it as bad as being a Law Enforcement Officer. I'm 18 and going to be 19 when my state police open the academy for accepted applicants and I'm afraid they will reject me because of my age. The Rhode Island State Police have a 18-35 years of age range for applicants, but my father thinks they are looking for applicants in their mid-twenties? What do you guys think?
                OK, it's NOT important what we think, it IS important what the Rhode Island State Police think. Here are a couple of random thoughts. The 18 age is possibly for entry into a "Cadet" program. Most states/or agencies will require a minimum age of 21 to be a sworn officer. Now the ball is in your court. Do some research. Very possibly, the written test for State Trooper is administered by the State Personnel Dept. If so, they should be able to provide you with some pertinent information. Try contacting the Rhode Island State Police. They should have a Personnel or H/R section. Or visit your nearest State Police Post/Barracks and inquire. In the meantime, stay in shape, do a great job for your current employer, and prepare mentally and physically to kick major *** in every phase of the hiring process. Good luck.

Comment

Thank you everyone! I'm not letting anything stop me and if I don't get accepted then that won't stop me from the next academy! I'm gonna prove myself to meet their standards and I hope to come out on top when I am done.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10523 users online. 414 members and 10109 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                  X