What flashlight?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What flashlight?

My academy date is right around the corner and I am in need of a flashlight. I am looking at two lights right now. Either Fenix tk11/tk12 or Streamlight Strion. What flashlight would you recommend? I realize there are boat loads of options out there, but just thought I'd ask for peoples opinions. Thanks

Originally posted by AngelsFan View Post
    Either Fenix tk11/tk12 or Streamlight Strion. What flashlight would you recommend?
    I cannot intelligently comment on the Fenix, but IMHO, the Streamlight Strion (as with most Streamlight products) is bright, dependable, and from a reputable manufacturer.

Extraordinarily Ordinary & Remarkably Unremarkable!

"I bet you have an "Operator" patch on your gear"--CCCSD
    "Everyone has a purpose in life. Some people's purpose is to be the example of what NOT to do..."--tanksoldier

Comment

I am a big fan of my MagCharger (rechargeable MagLite). It's bright (not like the standard D cell MagLite), it's durable, and it has a lifetimes warranty. It is also made in the USA, which is hard to come by these days.

In my opinion, and some may disagree, a flashlight should also be constructed of material making it sufficient to use as an impact weapon. It seems a few quality lights fall short in this department. Whacking someone with a maglite is not PC, and it does not sit well with some folks on the job, but sometimes it may be your only option.

I think I paid about $100 for mine, comes with a charger, and car plug in adapter. It's a solid light.
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
        I am a big fan of my MagCharger (rechargeable MagLite). It's bright (not like the standard D cell MagLite), it's durable, and it has a lifetimes warranty. It is also made in the USA, which is hard to come by these days.

In my opinion, and some may disagree, a flashlight should also be constructed of material making it sufficient to use as an impact weapon. It seems a few quality lights fall short in this department. Whacking someone with a maglite is not PC, and it does not sit well with some folks on the job, but sometimes it may be your only option.

I think I paid about $100 for mine, comes with a charger, and car plug in adapter. It's a solid light.

+ 100

Comment

Originally posted by AngelsFan View Post
          My academy date is right around the corner and I am in need of a flashlight. I am looking at two lights right now. Either Fenix tk11/tk12 or Streamlight Strion. What flashlight would you recommend? I realize there are boat loads of options out there, but just thought I'd ask for peoples opinions. Thanks
          I'm a huge fan of Fenix. I beat the crap out of my TK41 working in the desert all the time and it's still going strong, so I can vouch for the dependability. Between the TK11 and the Strion, the biggest difference is controlling the output modes. With the Strion, the on/off button also controls the hi/low/strobe options. Some people are okay with this but I find it irritating as hell. If I want the light to come on low every time, I don't have that option with the Strion. With the TK11 you twist the bezel to select the mode, and use the tailcap button to turn it off and on, so you can select the mode directly.

Comment

Well, I was going to give you some advice, but you're an Angels fan so nevermind.

Well, ok, I've had the halogen version of the Strion for years, and when money permits, I will be getting the LED version. Never had any real issues with Streamlight, and they take care of their customers. I would also get a full size light. I have the Ultrastinger and it is bright as hades, for when you need to see across a field, or use it as an impact weapon. I also have the SL20XP for regular duty use. It has halogen and LED so once I make contact, if I deem the subject a low risk, I can switch to LED and save their eyesight. I'm just nice like dat.

You probably won't need the flashlight at first, will you?

PS - get the Streamlight stylus that uses AAA or the "larger" version that uses AA batteries. they can fit in your shirt pocket or hang round your neck via laynard under your shirt, and are bright enough to clear a house with. Perfect for an emergency backup.
            I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Like Reils and Phil said, I've had my MagLite for about 20 yrs. Never give it up. But 3 yrs ago I got the LED conversion for it. It's like a new lite and bright as heck. Maybe triples or quadruples the use time before a charge. Definitely suggest it if you get a recharge Mag.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/terra...-310mr-ex.html

Comment

Thrunite Scorpion V2- Got tons of compliments from instructors and other students while I was at the academy. It's super bright (750 lumens) and very compact (about the size of a surefire). It also has 5 different modes (strobe, momentary, firefly, lock-out, and perm. on).

Invest in a charger and a few rechargeable 18650 batteries and it'll be worth its weight in gold.

Now on patrol, I work nights and it is by far my favorite light I've used.

PS- don't get the light for life lights- my department paid for them and they're junk. They last 12 minutes at most

Comment

If it is not to late, check out Olight. IMO they make the best flashlight available.
                  This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

I use a Streamlight Stinger LED, It is lightweight enough that it isn't ackward on my belt, but big enough that it could be used as an impact weapon in a worst case scenario. Same as the maglight listed above, it came with a charger, lifetime warranty, and its 180 Lumens.

Only downside I found is you cannot adjust the bezel to adjust the pinpoint of the light.

Comment

I use the Strion LED as my main flashlight at work, and I love it. I kind of wish I had gotten the Stinger just to have a little bit bigger of a light, and after about a year of having this one I'll be switching to it. A lot of my co-workers also use the Pelican LED Patrol light and it, too, is a great flashlight.

Comment

I'm using the Strion in academy right now. I really like it. Compared and compared, and decided that light was best for size, brightness, and price. I ended up with the HD version, and it still floods a room like crazy.
                        Compared to the Stinger, there is only one downfall. The front switch option. The Strion ONLY has a tailcap switch. While the Stinger is available in a DS model to have both options, it will cost you much more money. In a dark room, the difference between the two lights is fairly negligible. Not to mention the Stinger weighs almost twice as much and is bulkier (it will take up more room). These don't seem to matter to most people, but is are absolute make or break factors for me. I want my belt as lightweight (it will be heavy, so why add more weight than you need?) and easy to use as possible.
                        Last edited by DocJ; 08-24-2012, 02:41 PM.
                        "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."
                        -Steve Irwin

"The brave man inattentive to his duty, is worth little more to his country, than the coward who deserts her in the hour of danger."
                        -Andrew Jackson

sigpic

Comment

I have a rechargeable Strion and love it.

Comment

I used the Pelican 7060 while in the academy. It was rechargeable, very bright white light, had a rear switch and a thumb switch, both worked momentary and switched. The hex shape felt good while shooting the night courses whichever grip I used. It was also pretty light compared to a magcharger/lite which I also carried as a backup.

I felt it was a good light to use if you did not have a lot of experience with flashlights, especially with shooting courses at night.

Comment

I have four flashlights with me on duty, being a MagCharger, a Streamlight Stinger, a Streamlight Strion LED, and a Borealis from Black Bear. I only ever use the Borealis and the Strion. The other two are basically backups. You won't regret the Strion LED. It's a bright, dependable, durable flashlight.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8353 users online. 319 members and 8034 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X