300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA academy PAT question

How much running is typically involved in the California academy? I overheard someone say they were running up to 5 miles by the end of the academy. Is that 5 miles non stop? Or 5 miles made up of smaller runs throughout the day? Do you run every day? What's the most you run non stop? I know that you are usually tested on the 1.5 or 2.0 mile run. So just trying to get an idea of the most you are expected to run non stop. thanks.

Every academy is different. I went to Rio Hondo our first run was about 2 miles but they saw how fit and in shape my class was and then went to about 3 miles for the 2nd run and up from there. I think we topped out at about 8 mile runs give or take. BUT every academy is different also I've heard that POST is changing the PT a little bit to. As far as running you run aka jog every where you go in the academy period. And yes the runs are no stop. if you can do about a 10min mile for at least 3miles you should be fine.

The runs do vary in length some days you will have a longer run than others. It really depends on many factors, class times, what tac staff or di's are leading the run and so forth.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

good info, thanks. you mentioned POST may be changing the PT a little. Any idea how they plan to change it?

Comment

it will be more of a dynamic type pt. not run run and run some more. from what i've heard that want the academies to incorporate more of an aerobic style of pt. more that is geared to what LEO's do, qucik and short durations for reps, now mind you there will be running some short and long distance but not all the time.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Interesting. I'm already a senior probation officer and I work on a DOJ task force right now. But I've been considering making the jump to the police side of things for awhile. If this change in the academy structure comes to fruition, it might make my decision a little easier. Not that I'm lazy, mind you. I'm actually in fairly good shape. Just something about run run run every day that turns me off. I wonder if the POST website would have any info on the subject.

Comment

Yeah I dont know if they have posted on their site yet. I was talking with a tac officer/ instructor ar rio hondo about it. it makes sense to me to change the format. at times it didnt feel like we were doing pt except on the runs.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
              from what i've heard that want the academies to incorporate more of an aerobic style of pt....
              I think you might mean anaerobic. The literal opposite of aerobic. An anaerobic pt session is 10x harder than aerobic work-out.

Comment

My academy changed halfway thru-we were running for 2-3 miles before the coaches (after coming back from POST training) moved to shorter runs (2miles) and more "leg bails" or sprints

Comment

Jonnyboy, can I ask what academy you went to? thanks.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8985 users online. 378 members and 8607 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X