Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do people actually fail these???

Currently run my 1.5 in 9:50
    about 50 pushups in 1 minute and 55 situps in 1 minute. So is there something that they are not alluding too? Or is it that most of the people fail are civilians who typically dont perform physical fitness tests (not an insult just average fact).

Comment

Originally posted by NavyK9 View Post
      Do people actually fail these???

Currently run my 1.5 in 9:50
      about 50 pushups in 1 minute and 55 situps in 1 minute. So is there something that they are not alluding too? Or is it that most of the people fail are civilians who typically dont perform physical fitness tests (not an insult just average fact).
      There are a lot of answers to this based on how many different ways people choose to live, exercise and eat. I personally feel that it's very easy to get caught up in the typical "feel" of how we work out or exercise and once in that cruise control state we tend to not push ourselves beyond that. There are so many people who are not naturally fit anymore and when you combine that with anything out of the "norm" for their body weight, daily lifestyle, cruise control, etc... these tests can become difficult. These times and numbers typically take a lot of time to reach and/or maintain and funny enough many of us feel we can just put it together in a month or so. o.0

Example: my son is 14 and he can run the mile in about 6 minutes and he's never been a runner but if he doesn't maintain that as he grows older then chances are he'll lose that pretty quick.

Comment

Within a month ? WoW. This is true. I have had a regular workout regime for the last 11 years of active duty, so I see how it for myself is the norm. Will be intresting to transition back to civlian life.

Comment

For anyone viewing this thread. I would highly encourage crossfit.com, P90x, Insanity, or any type of circuit training. Build up your run distances to about 3 miles, then focus on decreasing your times. Good luck to everyone!

Comment

Well Navy, im assuming your IN the navy lol, so I can see why it would be easy for you, I am a civilian, and although im fairly active, I have lost a lot of my endurance since high school, where I used to wrestle and could easily run 5 miles just to warm up before practice. Now the biggest thing holding me back is this severe pain im getting in my knees from running, even though im running on a soft track. I googled it, it seems I have runners knee(s) due to my flat feet, it suggests I get good running shoes and some good insoles for people with flat feet, im going to do this and go to the doctor to see if there is anything else I can do, hopefully I will be able to correct this problem and start training hard and prepare myself for this, otherwise, if i can not overcome this, then I guess I will not be able to become a cop which is very disappointing, especially since my plan, if I didnt get on anywhere soon enough after college was to possibly join the Navy, but if my knee problems are not corrected, then that seems out of the option as well. I honestly will have no idea what I will do with my life...
            I was thinking about bike riding a lot to try and build up endurance without hurting my knees, then Id be able to pass the PAT, but I dont see how I could pass the academy if I can not keep up constant running without pain.

Comment

Originally posted by grenster88 View Post
              Most departments hand out info on the minimum requirements to pass PT, and that's what people train to meet, the minimum.
              Even though they know the minimum standard, they show up unprepared. They practice the run on treadmills and their other events in an air-conditioned gym. The fitness thing is something that needs to be maintained throughout the entire law enforcement career. Many agencies don't have an annual physical fitness test, so when the officer graduates academy, he becomes complacent.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Are you allowed to wear whatever kind of sneakers you want in the academy? (since I was doing a little research and there is a special kind of shoe that should help somewhat with the knee problems im experiencing while running)

Comment

I have a feeling as long as your shoes don't have wheels on them, you'll be allowed to wear whatever you like.
                  R.I.P. #2083, You will never be forgotten.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. Matt. 5:9

Inmates seem really into counting the number of officers it took to take them down. If only their love of math had blossomed earlier.

Comment

They practice the run on treadmills and their other events in an air-conditioned gym.
                    This is very true. No substitute for running outdoors or on a indoor track, or doing pushups and situps in 95 degree + weather.
                    R.I.P. #2083, You will never be forgotten.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. Matt. 5:9

Inmates seem really into counting the number of officers it took to take them down. If only their love of math had blossomed earlier.

Comment

you'll be allowed to wear whatever you like.
                      ฮอลิเดย์ พาเลซ

Comment

Originally posted by addseo1118 View Post
                        This thread is over three years old. You're new here, but please don't revive a dead thread.

Ohhhh.... wait.... I see what's going on here. You are injecting a link to that website in your post(s) in an attempt to improve search rank.

Kindly, GTFO. Here, let me help you. Reported.

Thank you.
                        “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11767 users online. 425 members and 11342 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X