300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running at the academy

Just curious, how far does one usually run while at the academy? Also, how often (daily, every other day, etc.)? I know it's not going to be the same at all academies, but it will give me a feel for how much I need to prepare.

DYZ

We did PT (on avg.) 3x a week. Rarely more than 2 miles, never past 3 miles. I'd aim for being able to do 3 miles @ a 9 minute pace. The state recommends 3 @ 10min/miles.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
    (")_(")
    Copy and paste Bunny into your
    signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

We did PT 3-5 times a week if I remember correctly. Usually 1-2 miles a day, overall about 1 hour of PT total with push ups, situps etc.
      Ask them, Tell them, Make them.

Comment

That's pretty short distance. What academies did you guys attend - local or state?

DYZ

Comment

Federal...
          "..." added because Federal is too short to post alone LMAO
          (\__/)
          (")_(")

Comment

Think about really though, why run 5+ miles? That's not happening in a suspect chase.
            (\__/)
            (")_(")

Comment

Well, why do military personnel do it (Army, Marines, not so much Navy or AF)? Most of them have jobs where they're sitting or not really physically active on a daily basis. Most of them don't actually run 5+ miles a day after Basic, Boot, or whatever you wanna call it. They do it to stay in shape. Good cardiovascular fitness can keep you alive longer.
              Also, it's not only what happens during the chase, it's what can happen when that chase is over, the suspect is cornered, and now he's desperate. It can be hard to take down a muscular, physically fit suspect if he's desperate and your fitness is not up to par. If you are fit and used to running for that long, you're not gonna be winded after the chase and can wrestle as long as it takes to subdue him.

DYZ

Comment

3 miles at a good pace is pretty good cardio fitness. It's unlikely you'd even chase someone a mile. I was never in the mil, but they have a lot more time (24 hours a day) to make people work. doing a 5+ mile run takes time. And that is very limited in many academies considering what all they want to fit in.
                (\__/)
                (")_(")

Comment

Yeah. You've got a good point there that I hadn't considered. PT in the military does take a long time, but they don't have to teach you the law or report writing or anything like that.
                  That brings me to another question - did you have to do cadences when you ran?

DYZ

Comment

Sometimes, but we were usually were sent on group runs by without staff, so we didn't really do that.
                    (\__/)
                    (")_(")

Comment

How do academies handle strength and conditioning? Do they make you do it a certain way, ie. calisthenics, weights, or both, or is it left up to you as long as you can make the cut?

DYZ

Comment

We did both.
                        (\__/)
                        (")_(")

Comment

We ran Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On average we ran 1.5 to 3 miles. We would always sing cadence. However, it was not just running. We would stop half way through and at like 5:30 in the morning do push-ups in the middle of the street and then flip over to do sit-ups. Then get back up and continue running. Then shortly there after we would see a bank on the side of the road and do more push-ups, but now at an incline. Usually takes an hour. So your not just running. The 2nd to the last day we ran for a total of an hour and 30 minutes and come to find out afterwords we ran 8.2 miles without stopping. Needless to say that day we started with 18 running the 8.2 miles and finished with like I think 13.

Comment

ndoane24, when you guys did the 8.2 miler, what was the pace like? Were you running or was it like a fast jog?

DYZ

Comment

I've been to 3 academies. Each ran us between 3-5 days a week, 1-3 miles a day, through most of the program. On rare occassions th edistance was up'd to 3-5 miles. The running was incorporated into the day's fitness routine, and an easier day running did not necessarily mean an easier day, and visa versa.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8969 users online. 422 members and 8547 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X