300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC Spray

We just found out today we get sprayed on Monday.

We've been tased already, and that sucked. I heard this was way worse, so I'm trying to prepare myself. Anyone else get sprayed yet? Are there any tips ya'll could give to help relieve
    the burning? Thanks!

Only time helps..........................

There are countless "remedies".....they don't work. TIME, Water,& more time.

Be prepared to have the fires of Hades raining down on your face.

Tase me every day and twice on Sunday but DON"T OC me.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I'm an OC/NLW instructor for the Navy and I did level 2 certs for about 40 Sailors two days ago. Like Iowa posted, it's going to suck, that is no joke but the "hurt" will subside with time.

Pay attention to what the instructors put out. You may experience:

-Eyes shutting on you
      -Involuntary extension of your hands to your face
      -PAIN (burning sensation)
      -Excessive mucous
      -heavy breathing or slight difficulties

You can control these symptoms by calming your butt down and staying in control of your faculties. Remember your training and if you have to go through a fight-through scenario or stages such as baton and fighting off an attacker - man up and get through it. The sooner you get through it the sooner you will get to decon.

People try different methods of decon from simply washing off with baby shampoo and paper towels and sitting in the shade for a while, to using Stridex pads and paper towels.

Use whatever your instructors tell you to use and remember to take it easy and calm-down and understand you will get through it.

If weak, petite, young female Sailors can get through it - SO CAN YOU.

Last edited by FireControlman; 10-01-2011, 01:34 AM.

Comment

When my class did it, what worked best was immediately flush your eyes real well (not touching them w/ your hands). If there's a lot of excess OC on your face or forehead, a little baby shampoo might help just get off the excess. But after you flush, the best thing is to get your face and eyes to DRY. If you keep running back to the water (like I did) the stuff keeps reactivating. The best strategy I saw was a guy who washed his face, flushed his eyes, and then ran over and hugged a utility pole for 20 minutes.

Aside from that, there's no real strategy. Just have a good weekend and don't think about it.
        "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

I got oced for NYC corrections with them after you get sprayed you have four stations to complete baton,punching,kicking and last is they give you a plastic gun to put in your waist band and you can't let two officers grab it. With that said they had us wash our eyes and face then stand infront of a fan. Remember there are different potency for different oc spray it all depends on what your department issues. Everybody reacts differently I seen the big guys(tough) fall to thR ground but and yet 140lb female go through it. DONT take a warm shower the same day it reactivates it. Last some one said if it still burning after a few hours try washing your eyes with milk.

Comment

Excellent advice so far! I'd like to add by saying gravity is NOT your friend! Keep in mind that when you wash your face when you take a shower later in the evening, the OC will most likely "reactivate", meaning that it will burn like when you were originally sprayed. Gravity will pull the contaminated soap suds downwards. If you don't lean forward or take precautions, the contaminated suds will most likely end up in your sensitive area if you know what I mean.

Good luck!
            Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

I might add that my agency has been using OC since about 1995...............

I have been OC'ed on duty several times by my "partners"....as well as during on-going training every other year.(we really only have to get sprayed once---but I often attended new staff training as a supervisor---overspray happens)

The fan helps-----------------

Yes remember gravity
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thank you!!! I appreciate all your advice. Not knowing what to expect, or how I'll react is the worst. We are only allowed to use water after getting sprayed, so after I go through the stations, I'll use the water and
                just be in front of a fan for a long time. My skin is super sensitive, and I was more worried about having a breathing reaction than the pain, but I'll remind myself to stay calm and breathe. Only five weeks left at the academy, so I'm ready to get out and start. Thank you all and stay safe

Comment

Thank you!!! I appreciate all your advice. Not knowing what to expect, or how I'll react is the worst. We are only allowed to use water after getting sprayed, so after I go through the stations, I'll use the water and
                  just be in front of a fan for a long time. My skin is super sensitive, and I was more worried about having a breathing reaction than the pain, but I'll remind myself to stay calm and breathe. Only five weeks left at the academy, so I'm ready to get out and start. Thank you all and stay safe

Comment

I used these:
                    http://www.galls.com/uniformstyle?as...ecode=11950050

It helped a little during. Were it helped the most was taking a shower the next morning. On my face were I used the wipes, no more burn with water, however on my neck, were I didn't know I had been sprayed (until I saw the photos) it burned in the shower again.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
                    (")_(")
                    Copy and paste Bunny into your
                    signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

BTW also, I suggest just getting a bald cut. Makes washing the stuff out much easier.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
                      (")_(")
                      Copy and paste Bunny into your
                      signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

when you get sprayed, the most important thing is not to panic. It hurts like all hell and will make it difficult to breath, but if you can, get control and realize that even though it may not seem like it, you are breathing just fine. There's really no advice for not panicking, for when the pain sets in you will forget it all anyways. However, I can tell you, after decon, what helped me and alot of my fellow recruits was to jog around (we had a small field next to where we deconed) doing the best we could to keep our eyes open. The wind against your eyes while you're jogging provides alot of pain relief and the physical aspect of a brisk jog forces you to get your breathing under control and helps clear out your sinuses and lungs. Good luck man.

Comment

Two things:
                          - Man up, and don't panic. It sucks, but if you panic, it will be worse.
                          - Keep your eye lids open, and let it air out. It will take about 20-30 minutes for the major pain to go away, then about two hours for all the effects to subside. All the remedies don't work that well.
                          "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence to those who would do us harm." - George Orwell, April 4, 1942

Comment

Make sure you don't shave the morning of your exposure.
                            Do not touch your eyes or eyelids and especially do not try and force your eyelids open. You can do damage.

I am not sure how your instructors run things, but I am the lead instructor for our OC certification and our primary concern is keeping the individual calm. Depending on what brand/level, your first OC exposure can be pretty traumatic while you are going through it.
                            Just remember to BREATHE once you get most of it washed off your face. I remember I had to constantly remind myself to do something so simple.

For washing, the best way to do it is to have someone ELSE hold the hose straight up with about a 6 inch tall stream coming out. Make sure the person puts their hand over the end of the hose so you don't jab it into your eye. You can then direct their hands where you want the water. You will probably want to take short breaks from the water to catch your breath.

We use SABRE Decon and the stuff works great. The cleanse, you have someone squirt some into your hands and then you rub it in fairly vigorously on your face (NOT the eyes) and it really helps break down the oils in the spray. Dawn dish soap will suffice in a pinch.

For the eyes, it helps if you strobe your eyelids as fast as you can as much as you can. This gets your tear response working which is really the only way to flush the stuff out of your eyes. Do not touch your eyes or eyelids with your hands.
                            Like others have said though, as good as the water feels, you really do need to get away from it and let your face dry for things to get better. When you take a shower later that evening and the OC reactivates (it will), just don't forget to strobe your eyes if it's in your eyes and hunch over with your head low so it doesn't go anywhere that you don't want a burning sensation.

Good luck to you brother and don't stress out about it too much.

Comment

Make sure you have a change of underwear incase it goes down below. Happened to me and it was not very fun. After changing my sgt. laughed at me and said he had the same. It happens

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3391 users online. 257 members and 3134 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X