Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any academy advice (women specific) is appreciated.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any academy advice (women specific) is appreciated.

Hello everyone!

I am very excited to announce that I will be starting pre academy in a week. Woot woot!

Does anyone have any advice? Specifically, for a female? Is there anything that you wish someone would have told YOU before you went into academy?

Should I cut my long hair to more of a mid-length level, or does it not matter?

Also, should I purchase an extra academy uniform (or two) so that I will have 3-4 in total, instead of the issued two?

Also, how often did you have to dry clean your uniform? I live in Southern California and the dry cleaner I found charges $8 per uniform (pressing included); is that a good price?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and respond.

I would appreciate ANY input.

Originally posted by rarecrystal View Post
    Hello everyone!

I am very excited to announce that I will be starting pre academy in a week. Woot woot!

Does anyone have any advice? Specifically, for a female? Is there anything that you wish someone would have told YOU before you went into academy?

Should I cut my long hair to more of a mid-length level, or does it not matter?

Also, should I purchase an extra academy uniform (or two) so that I will have 3-4 in total, instead of the issued two?

Also, how often did you have to dry clean your uniform? I live in Southern California and the dry cleaner I found charges $8 per uniform (pressing included); is that a good price?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and respond.

I would appreciate ANY input.
    www.bpspouses.com has info you can look up that will help.

Comment

also congrats...

Comment

The academy I am in now, started off with six women. Down to five (during the academy was charged with a felony). The class procedure for women's hair was it cannot touch the ears, pulled back, and into a bun. Also, it does not matter for females or males, physical requirements were the same (was to help you pass the POPAT). Other than those two all procedures were the same through out.

Comment

Its cheaper and you can get almost the same quality of a dry cleaner if you do it yourself, Just get a can of starch and make it happen. I personally think that women's hair in uniform should be pulled back tight in a bun like the marine corps has its females do their hair. Don't be the girl that flirts with all the guys and you should be fine.
          "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

I appreciate the fact that NC's academies have the same standards for men and women. It should be that way. If you are a single female, don't date anyone in the academy. No need to cut your hair as it's going to be up in a bun either way. Unless the service taught you how to do a bun, buy yourself one of those hair thingys (not the real name....LOL) that keeps your bun tight and use barrettes or pins to keep straglers out of your face. Don't wear excessive jewelry and you might as well get used to that. I wear my wedding band only because i'm not breaking or losing my diamond. Keep your nails short and neat. Minimal makeup if you wear it. I do, but you might want to grab some sport type foundation (Clinique has a great one) and waterproof mascara.

If you run into 'that' guy that doesn't like women in LE or the concept of it, ignore it...he's indicative of others you'll run into. Feeding it does no good. Kick *** and the rest falls in line. You gain respect by doing it, not talking about it.

I never had my uniforms dry cleaned in the academy. I did them myself. If it's common practice there to have someone do your uniform, that's up to you.
            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
              I appreciate the fact that NC's academies have the same standards for men and women. It should be that way. If you are a single female, don't date anyone in the academy. No need to cut your hair as it's going to be up in a bun either way. Unless the service taught you how to do a bun, buy yourself one of those hair thingys (not the real name....LOL) that keeps your bun tight and use barrettes or pins to keep straglers out of your face. Don't wear excessive jewelry and you might as well get used to that. I wear my wedding band only because i'm not breaking or losing my diamond. Keep your nails short and neat. Minimal makeup if you wear it. I do, but you might want to grab some sport type foundation (Clinique has a great one) and waterproof mascara.

If you run into 'that' guy that doesn't like women in LE or the concept of it, ignore it...he's indicative of others you'll run into. Feeding it does no good. Kick *** and the rest falls in line. You gain respect by doing it, not talking about it.

I never had my uniforms dry cleaned in the academy. I did them myself. If it's common practice there to have someone do your uniform, that's up to you.
              + 1 Read this multiple times--good advice for rookies and vets. Def going to look at Clinique.

Work hard on your upper body strength. Push-ups, pull-ups, and more push-ups. I've always tried to maintain my physical condition based on the Army's Pt standard for a male of my age. (though I'm female).
              Don't get involved in the drama that will occur among your classmates. It's natural that a group of people, placed in a mentally and physical stressful situation will blow off steam. You'll be with these people 8 hrs a day. Treat every day like it's a job interview. Think before you speak. You will have areas that you're strong in and areas that you're weak in. Help those that are struggling....academics, running, sit ups, whatever.

Ignore the doof(s) that believe women can't be LEOs. They're typically very insecure about their masculinity. Comical how someone that has never policed thinks that they know who should/can police and who shouldn't/can't.
              Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Congrats...

Ive only been in academy for about a month...but I dont take my uniform to the cleaners, I do it at home. I have 4 sets, because you never know. I have hair down to the middle of my back, I wear it in a tightly wrapped bun daily, it not only LOOKS more professional, but it keeps all this hair out of my face when we are doing PT and hands on.
                I agree with the other poster, ignore those who do not think that females cant hang...Im top of my class right now in academics and holding my own physically. Work on upper body strength FOR SURE, I have NONE, but its something I work on too!
                And as a previous poster said, stay away from the drama!! After a few short weeks we have already had a few out bursts and high school drama incidents...its not worth it, so just dont get involved!
                Stay true to yourself and do your best, and you will do great!

Comment

Thank you all so much for the advice. I just took three hours to finish my first remediation memorandum! :/ It was only 150 words! Did your first memo take you so long as well? I ran out of memo paper.. doh!

Welp, good night all. Looks like I will be sleep deprived tomorrow. Let the madness begin...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4700 users online. 344 members and 4356 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X