Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting the academy next month. A few questions.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting the academy next month. A few questions.

I start the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy next month. I have a few questions those who have completed their training. If you are struggling with a certain aspect of training, such as defensive driving, what will be the result? Will you just fail? Will they give you further instruction? More practice?

I had some struggles with driving. But you just have to tough through it. You get a few more practice runs through whatever course you are running. Eventually you get through it. They wont let you fail.
    This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

Thanks for the response.

Comment

The high liability stuff is easy (driving, firearms) It's the bookwork stuff like Legal that will git ya. Good luck
        I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
        - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyDiver View Post
          The high liability stuff is easy (driving, firearms) It's the bookwork stuff like Legal that will git ya. Good luck
          Luckily I have a girlfriend that won't let me slack off on the book work.

Comment

Good luck with your academy. Listen to your instructors, surround yourself with good peers and you should be fine.

Comment

Good luck bud. The academy shouldn't be difficult for you if you are responsible and take pride in what you do. Keep an open mind, and do what your instructors say.

Comment

I am starting Montgomery County Academy in less than two weeks, I am excited! anyone who has attended this facility please chime in with your experiences - good or bad and is it true you need a small suit case on wheels??? since the 3 inch binder will not be big enough to hold all info - also how often is PT and is it usually after lunch? and as a female at 5'2" my main concern is keeping up with the 6'0 guys during the run lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Jolloveslaw2009 View Post
                  I am starting Montgomery County Academy in less than two weeks, I am excited! anyone who has attended this facility please chime in with your experiences - good or bad and is it true you need a small suit case on wheels??? since the 3 inch binder will not be big enough to hold all info - also how often is PT and is it usually after lunch? and as a female at 5'2" my main concern is keeping up with the 6'0 guys during the run lol!
                  Not sure about the particular academy you're asking about and your luggage requirements but as far as the run goes, most of your runs will be formation runs. That means, they run at the pace of the slowest individual. Unless you have a rather large class and split into ability groups, you will probably be a pace setter. They'll push you to increase the pace if needed. Our pace setters are both extreme opposites. We have a 5'5 heavyset guy and a 6'4 heavyset guy. Height doesn't mean a whole lot. Some of the fastest people in my academy are under 6' tall. Hell, I'm 6'3 and run like a freight train. Just do your best and don't quit.
                  I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
                  - Mark Twain

Comment

Comment

Despite what the instructors tell you, they dont want people to fail. If you are lazy, or stupid, or a turd in general, you will fail on your own. If you are having trouble with a particular skill, they will do all they can to get you to pass. Like others have said work hard and you will be fine. In any area of training, instructors want to see heart and effort. The recruit who puts his all in to running an 10 minute mile will be looked upon more favorably that the one who slacks off and runs one in 7 minutes when they are capable of doing it in 5, or the one who quits and starts walking.
                      Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum
                      To err is human, but to persist is diabolical

Comment

Push yourself on the runs. Out here we do trail running and if someone falls behind we form into a circle and then get into plank positions until back up arrives (the slowest runner). Try not to be that person/s. Do lots of endurance type of work outs. That is what we do, very little heavy weight type of activities. And biggest thing, learn to control your breathing.
                        Sworn - 9/16/11

Comment

I won't say you can't fail because some people simply can't adapt and aren't cut out for this job. However, the instructors job is to get you through it. You do 100% and they will, too. If you don't grasp something in the academy here, they make you put in time afterhours to get it right.
                          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

In my academy class we had an individual who could not qualify on the range. Just plain couldn't do it------he could come close, but never made the grade.

On the last qualification day............two of our best shooters lined up next to him. He passed qualifications on the last round

The instructors saw through the assist-----------and dismissed the rest of us from the range. They and the officer came off the range about an hour later smiling.

The next morning in class we got a stern lecture about "cheating", however it was given with a smile and some mention of teamwork.

The moral of the story is --------------as long as a cadet doesn't alienate himself from his peers, they will assist each other with getting through the rough parts. The instructors are also watching and know who they need to push, assist, or ignore.
                            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3058 users online. 165 members and 2893 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X