Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really scared

Hi guys

I'm exited and scared at the same time. I have been dreaming of becoming a law enforcement officer. Finished my 2nd semester in CJ, and I decided to want to join Orlando police academy. Im quitting work, I have $1800 saved. Do you think thats enough money to get me through without working? the academy is 9 months long. Do I have to deal with math exams? I hate math.

Thanks a lot.

$1800 is plenty.....as long as you live at home with your parents.

Seriously you are putting the cart in front of the horse. Once you pass everything and get into the academy...then quit your job. Unless you are a self sponser...the dept should pay you the recruit salary.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post

Seriously you are putting the cart in front of the horse. Once you pass everything and get into the academy...then quit your job. Unless you are a self sponser...the dept should pay you the recruit salary.

And if you are self sponsored--------------it will cost you about 7-9,000 for tuition.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

You can make it on 200/month or did you mean 18,000 and not 1,800? How in the world are random people on the internet suppose to know what your finances are?
        sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
          How in the world are random people on the internet suppose to know what your finances are?
          He/she also is worried about math exams at the academy, and has 5 posts.

Troll.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
          - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

I had two grand saved up prior to my academy.

I moved back home and it was a short drive. I figured I could live off $2000 for six months, plus some odd jobs here and there. Oh I was very wrong. Flash forward a month and i was working a part time job.

If you are extremely disciplined and have *no* bills. Maybe $1800 could get you buy, but that is cutting it close.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post

A lot of FL academies are self funded. From what I've heard at my nephew's (FL) academy graduation, money was a an issue for a lot of recruits. So the OP will likely have to get a part time job or have some other source of income to get through the academy.

As for the math... I don't believe there is any math in the basic academy. There wasn't any in any of mine. Now if you get into accident investigations and some other specialties you will have to use some math skills.

Comment

Originally posted by SCV-Sop View Post
                He/she also is worried about math exams at the academy, and has 5 posts.

Troll.
                I don't know but he / she at least got the length (9 months) of the academy right for FL.

Comment

Originally posted by wntbeacop View Post
                  Hi guys

I'm exited and scared at the same time. I have been dreaming of becoming a law enforcement officer. Finished my 2nd semester in CJ, and I decided to want to join Orlando police academy. Im quitting work, I have $1800 saved. Do you think thats enough money to get me through without working? the academy is 9 months long. Do I have to deal with math exams? I hate math.

Thanks a lot.
                  You're not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Comment

Good luck, but the way gas price is right now, your $1800 most likely be spent on your fuel. Save up some more money!

Comment

Why don't you do yourself a favor and stay in school, stay employed and not try to enter an already overcrowded career field?

Comment

No guys, I have $18.000 not $1800.

Comment

No guys, I have $18.000 not $1800.
                          So now it's eighteen dollars, and not even one thousand eight hundred?

A comma verses a period makes all the difference

I don’t know your finances. I personally burned through $25K in 9 months time (6 in the academy and 3 more before I landed a job). If I didn’t have a $2K mortgage it would have been a lot easier.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
                          - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Another question: Is it really true that I have to be a student at the college before I can enroll in there police academy? I thought that I could go straight to the police academy.

Comment

Another question: Is it really true that I have to be a student at the college before I can enroll in there police academy? I thought that I could go straight to the police academy.
                              ??? don't know about Florida but up in Michigan i was enrolled in a academy and never attended any class's at that college. also it was a Long ways back (1988)
                              it is What it is

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6903 users online. 361 members and 6542 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X