300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I too old and dreaming...

I'm a young 41 male 6' 220, starting the academy again in California...injured week one last year. Honestly wasn't ready physically - I will never be a long distance runner But I was solid on everything else - OK I could do a few more pull-ups too. But I feel I am ready now mentally as well as physically.

I have some college and with the academy credit I will most likely have enough for an AA. No military, and spent 20 years in finance. I fancy myself bright, tested top of class on written (not impressive I know), I'm motivated and have a family that helps me stay focused and motivated. I can bring a life of experience to the job if I am able to get hired. I am willing to be a reserve officer forever but I know that costs the department money just to train me. Been on ride alongs, seen the job, and if I am able to make it a career, well that's even better.

I know I want it, but is that really enough? I don't have a checkered past, no dueces, no arrests. I am honestly, don't laugh, trying to do something different where I can make a difference. I will most likely go through the academy anyway because I was devastated I didn't finish, or even get started, last time. I WILL finish this thing and prove to myself and my boys that I can do it.

For those of you in California, am I COMPLETELY dreaming??...or is there even a chance? I will take a one in a million as a chance, because I feel that given the opportunity to get in front of an intereview board they will see my passion, commitment to serve, and what my unique set of experiences can bring to the table. I have good contacts in the force and will leverage those as much as possible.

Has any of you ever seen a 42 year old rook?
    I'm not a LEO but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night!

Academy In! --- Out ;( --- In again??

You're not dreaming. I'm in the academy right now. We have a 51 year old recruit who's self sponsored. The only trouble he has is following direction, and not having an open mind. The trouble with older recruits is they have bad habits and sometimes stubborn. If you keep an open mind and stay away from bad habits and just do what you're told, it's possible.

Physical training is not that important as long as you put in as much effort as possible and can pass the wstb.
    Last edited by caideN; 05-09-2011, 12:08 AM.

Comment

I worked with many retired marines that are beginning their second career. They are around 39 or 40 when they go to the academy. NOT unusual.
      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

My husband has mentioned to me more than once how his academy class had a guy in his early 50s, who did fine.

Comment

It's never too late. I believe either in VT or NH that 50+ year old passed the academy.

Don't get discourage and just go out there and kick A**!

Good luck!

Comment

Naw...............read the above replies and listen to them.

Hint: You are going to have to physically work harder than the young kid fresh out of college or the military
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I can totally relate to you and your concerns. I'm in the same boat. My academy starts in July and I'm 35 y/o 6'2 240. I work out 6 days a week and recently completed my first triathalon with a respectable time. My physical accomplishments and improvements have really helped me overcome my fears of "Can I really do this?". I try to push myself to attain REASONABLE yet high goals. When I do this, it increases my confidence A LOT. Just wanting something isn't good enough. Look back at your accomplishments and KNOW that you can adapt and overcome.
              "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

Comment

If you were in NY I would say yes, since the age limit is 35. Since you're not, you're good to go!

Comment

I'm 38yo 6' 235 and start the Acadamey June 13th! I've been running and working out 5 days a week for the past 3 months and I'm surprised how quickly I got into shape. I'm sure not 18 anymore and probably won't be in the top 25% in the class physically but I sure wont be in the bottom 25% either.

Go for it, never look back and say "what if?"

Comment

Guys your age bring a lot of maturity and valuable life experience to departments. You are not too old to get in the game.

Comment

We had a guy graduate our academy, he turned 51 halfway through.

At 42.... if you stay in good stay shape, you can probably put in 20 years. I work with a guy who is 60 and still works patrol.He still kicks a** and takes names with the best of them.

Comment

My class's vice president is a 44 year old ex Marine ***-kickin' motherf-er. He is regularly one of the first few people to finish at PT, and he does well in all other areas. Another one of my class mates is 43, and he's doing just fine too. It can definitely be done, but as you know the older you get, the more likely you are to be injured and the slower you heal. So you're going to have to put more into preparation for the academy than somone 10 or 15 years younger than you. Even at 30, I feel more injury prone than I did when I was 23.
                        "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

You all made my night...

I honestly didn't expect that positive of a response...Fricking awesome.

Talk to you all in May next year!
                          I'm not a LEO but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night!

Academy In! --- Out ;( --- In again??

Comment

That's me with CPD. Good luck.

Comment

With your attitude, you're going to do fine. I was 53, 5ft 10, 140 when I went through the academy for corrections. Since then I have had to introduce 3 inmates to the floor. I tell them it's one thing to get your butt kicked but it's another thing to get your butt kicked by a skinny old man. It takes a postive attitude and you have it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3167 users online. 193 members and 2974 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X