Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about qualifications and college.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about qualifications and college.

Hello guys, i am just starting the academy, finally i got the courage to join , it was difficult since i have a family, and not a great income, i have been working since i graduated from high school, to support my wife and daughter. So i never got around to spare some time to go to school and become what i wanted to be a police officer, so now at 27 I'm joining the academy i already passed the Florida BAT test, and the physical ability test, and ready to start classes.
    i never got around to do two years of college , i was wondering if this is going to be a problem when i graduate from the academy, or if i have good chances of landing a job even without the two years of college, also i will finish the academy when I'm 28, is this a alright age to start?

I apreciate your commenrs and answers thank you.
    Last edited by cgarvich; 04-22-2011, 10:47 AM.

Obviosly, I'm not from Florida...

But my $.2: You'll need at least a 2 year degree to be compete. Any age under 40 is a good age to start.

Good Luck!

Comment

In my months of searching different Departments in Central/South Florida, a lot of them want a two year degree or higher OR 3+ years of Active Duty Military experience.

Comment

You should probably do some practical research prior to spending 5 grand or so on a "academy certificate".

Those schools will take your money gladly----------------but if you don't meet the minimum qualifications for the job---the minimums published by the local departments---------------------you can't get hired.

Look around before you spend a lot of money---------------------spend some time on the phone calling area departments to see what their hiring guidelines are if you can't find the information on the net.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Like Michigan, I'm not from Florida either... I agree with his advice. I was told a few years ago that self sponsoring myself through academy and trying to get hired by an agency afterward, with limited college education (I had 57 credits at the time), would likely result in no job offers and me having to retake the academy at a later time. In Ohio, OPOTC certificates are only valid for one year, after which, if you have not been hired, you must re-certify (i.e. retake the academy), you might want to check how long a Florida certification is valid, before they require you to re-certify. Keep in mind, the hiring process usually takes a minimum of 6-8 months, that doesn't leave you with a whole lot of time if your Florida certification is only valid for a year or two. Long story short, I went back to school to finish up a 4 year degree and I'm starting the academy this fall, this time with a job waiting at the other end.

Many agencies have a minimum standard of a 2 year associates degree, although some do not. However, with the influx of individuals applying for limited positions, most agencies have will have many candidates who surpass the minimum qualifications for that hiring agency. Getting hired by an agency with no experience or limited education in today's market is very rare. It would be unfortunate for you, to pay for the academy, not get hired and then have to start from square one again. My thoughts, go get your education now... it will only help you in the long run. Best of luck.
          R.I.P. #2083, You will never be forgotten.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. Matt. 5:9

Inmates seem really into counting the number of officers it took to take them down. If only their love of math had blossomed earlier.

Comment

I feel bad for you. Thankfully my academy came with a paycheck, and I was already hired.

Comment

I just called the Florida department of law enforcement, and they told me the certification lasts four years.

and also i looked in my local county sheriff's office website ( http://www.claysheriff.com/06_01_0oppotrol.asp ) And they say
              Minimum Qualifications: Completion of approved law enforcement training and certification in compliance with the requirements of the state of Florida. Possession of a valid Florida driver's license, high school diploma or GED, citizen of the United States, at least twenty-one (21) years of age, no felony convictions, no misdemeanor convictions involving perjury or false statements, be of good moral character, must pass a drug and physical examination.
              Last edited by cgarvich; 04-22-2011, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Keep in mind minimum qualifications are just that: minimum. Sometimes you need something to seperate yourself from the pack. Say a degree, or prior military service. Those are very broad guidelines that I'm sure many people fit into, so you have to stand out in some fashion.

Comment

Per the FDLE's website
                  http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/...99ed/test.aspx

Here you can see everything for Police Departments and Sheriffs Office. Mininmum Requirement, Base salary and so on.

Comment

The fact that it's valid for 4 years is a plus... I'd think strongly about starting your education in the mean time though... Like I said, some agencies don't have a minimum requirement for education, but that doesn't mean they won't use educational background as a way to filter out candidates. Like the above post states, you have to stand out from the others, in order to have a shot these days. Having no college credit will definitely make you stand out, but not in the way we are suggesting you want to. I'm not saying it's not possible... You're just taking a very big, EXPENSIVE risk. Like I said, best of luck and I hope it works out well for ya.

Inmates seem really into counting the number of officers it took to take them down. If only their love of math had blossomed earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by vaticanassassin View Post
                      Per the FDLE's website
                      http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/...99ed/test.aspx

Here you can see everything for Police Departments and Sheriffs Office. Mininmum Requirement, Base salary and so on.
                      I already found a few pieces of information that are outdated/incorrect. Overall though, good information. Didn't know the FDLE website had that.

Comment

In a lot of places the Academy is worth credit hours towards an Associates Degree. In Ill. it's worth anywhere from 18 to 24 credit hours, which is almost a year of college. Check into that.

Comment

^ +1 That's a great point. It's true for Ohio academies as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                            In a lot of places the Academy is worth credit hours towards an Associates Degree. In Ill. it's worth anywhere from 18 to 24 credit hours, which is almost a year of college. Check into that.
                            Indeed. The Criminal Justice Academy here gives you 12 credit hours in partnership with the State College of Florida.

Comment

That would be great i will check on that , thank you very much.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4470 users online. 213 members and 4257 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X