300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off- Duty Qual & Purchase

Hows it going guys? I'm currently at the alittle more than the half-way mark in the Academy with my department and I start firearms in a week. The academy I attend is not owned by my dept and the recruit class is made up from people from all different depts here in NY.

So my question is should I purchase my off duty firearm while still in the academy (my dept has already issued me my creds/ID) so that I am able to qualify with it here at academy, and I won't have to come all the way back here after I graduate and do it? Any opinions will be appreciated guys? BE SAFE and THANK YOU!!
    Amtrak Police: NY/NJ

I would wait. A lot of departments will have certain requirments for your off duty weapon such as the cal. or semi auto vs. revolver ....that sort of thing.

I guess I'm not sure how it's run over there, but around here once you're out of the academy you don't go back to qualify with your gun or any other reason. Once you're hired in to a department, normally they take care of everyting including: qualifying with your weapon, defefensive tactics, training, etc, etc.

Comment

If you know what your duty gun will be, I would suggest using an off-duty gun that as closely as possible mirrors your duty gun. Same manual of arms, ya know. No confusion.
      When I went from a 1911 to a XD I caught myself trying to sweep the non-existant safety off. Not a critical error, just an ingrained muscle memory move developed from carrying 1911 for fifteen years. when I carried a 5" 1911, a 3" Defender was my off-duty gun. Now with a full-size XD, a subcompact is my off-duty.

There are compact and subcompact versions of most full-size duty guns for a reason; there's a market and a need
      Last edited by KenW.; 04-10-2011, 09:56 AM.
      I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

my duty is the glock 22 .40 and my off duty was going to be the glock 27 .40

thanks KenW. and Michigan
        Amtrak Police: NY/NJ

Comment

As long as you know it'll be within the dept regs for off-duty, I saw go for it. Save the time, and be sure to get the blue label price on the glock.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
          (")_(")
          Copy and paste Bunny into your
          signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Originally posted by KenW. View Post
            When I went from a 1911 to a XD I caught myself trying to sweep the non-existant safety off. Not a critical error, just an ingrained muscle memory move developed from carrying 1911 for fifteen years.
            I had the same problem when I was qualifying with the USVA Police. I was used to the Beretta 92F from being a miliary police, USVA Police use 92D or SigP229, neither with the thumb safety. Took a little bit, but finaly got out of the habit of sweeping for the thumb safety.
            GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

Streichers has awesome Police pricing on their Glocks!!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3345 users online. 221 members and 3124 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X