300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applications

Hello All. I'm about to start the application process. Is there any advise you could give me as far as the application process goes? I'm applying to multiple different departments in my area.

I have never been in the military. I'm in decent shape, and have recently started working out and running again. From what I've been told the process could take up to a year before I get hired and then start the academy... So, we'll see what happens.

My advice is apply to as many places that are accepting applications that you are willing to go. Not sure how the political and financial climates are down in SC, but here in the Northeast it's a very tough time to become a cop; even tough for many that are already on the job who are getting laid off.

Comment

Not to be pessimistic, but assume that you won't be hired at the first place you apply to. Get on as a volunteer at an agency if possible. This will give you a good reference, show that you are serious, and possibly help you get a foot in the door. If you don't have a degree, start taking classes. It doesn't have to be criminal justice, but take one class at a time if you have to. It is not usually a "must have" in the south, but a degree often adds a little to your salary or helps with promotions later on.

Comment

USMC is sooo right about not nessassarily hiring on with the first place you apply. Many of us had to apply 3, 4, 8, or 9 times. You may not test high enough, You might fail an oral board, You agency might cancel academy due to lack of funds, Etc..... It's a hard, frustrating process. But you got to keep plugging away.
        My best advice is-
        1. Don't ever give up if you get a rejection letter. Try again or try another department/agency.
        2. Widen your job search to the local, state, and Federal level.
        3. Be willing to relocate out of state if needed.

Good luck.
        Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

Not to sound silly, but if the application says to type or write in with black ink, do it. If it says that if an answer is not applicable put DNA in the blank, do it. If it says supply 5 references, don't put down 3. If it says attach documents A,B,or C with the application do it. Aren't sure of the spelling of a word, check it before you write it on that app..Sounds stupid, but this is the very first impression anyone at that agency is going to get of you. Make it a good one right off the bat. I know it sounds stupid, but a lot of people don't FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. Don't start off in that category. It might get your app tossed in the circular file.

The above guys gave you excellent advice.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
            I know it sounds stupid, but a lot of people don't FOLLOW DIRECTIONS.
            Not stupid at all - and actually, pretty worthy piece of advice. One of departments here actually tosses applications if they are filled out with errors and general mess.

A clean, accurate, neat and thorough application shows your potential employer (not just LE!) that you are genuinely interested in their opening, and not just filling out 15 applications in a row quickly to get them over with.

Attention to detail is always important, especially in the career you're planning to get in to. Your background packet/application - long as it may be, is your first chance to show them you have that.

Good Luck. You and I are in the same boat.

Comment

Originally posted by AK_Alex View Post

Attention to detail is always important, especially in the career you're planning to get in to. Your background packet/application - long as it may be, is your first chance to show them you have that.
              +1

If they ask for a current credit report, pop for the ten bucks and pull a CURRENT one - even if you have one that's only a couple of months old.
              "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I know I am the broken record in the group but persevere, persevere, persevere. It's been a long road for me, but I know it's going to pay off soon. I've been through a lot of agencies and testing processes, but I trust God will take me where he wants me. Never give up.

Comment

Photocopy every background application you hand in. It will save you so much work/effort when you fill out the next 10. The first one you will have to scramble, all previous work histories addresses and phone numbers, relatives addresses and birthdays, work histories, driving records, social security earnings etc. Once you fill out one, as long as you copy it (I was never smart enough to do so) you have all the info right in front of you for the next one.

And like these guys said, take every test possible, but don't hang your hat on LE. Not with the way things are now (lay offs, nobody hiring etc). Work towards another career while testing and applying everywhere you can. Don't be the guy who's turning 30, with a bachelors in CJ who worked the last 5 years trying to get hired but it didn't work out and now has no other back up plan. Gotta keep your options open.

Comment

Application Process

Hey Guys,
                    I'm new to this website, and so far its been awesome reading through all the different posts. A question I have is in regards to waiting for a response from the PD I applied for. I turned in my application to the PD about two weeks ago and was told it would take up to 14 days to contact me because of the amount of applications they received. I have yet to hear from them and the 14 days are up. Should I contact them, or would that show lack of patience on my part and hurt my chances? I applied for the Austin PD, anybody else apply for it as well on here? Thanks for any advice!
                    Nate
                    Last edited by natejack12; 04-15-2011, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by natejack12 View Post
                      Hey Guys,
                      I'm new to this website, and so far its been awesome reading through all the different posts. A question I have is in regards to waiting for a response from the PD I applied for. I turned in my application to the PD about two weeks ago and was told it would take up to 14 days to contact me because of the amount of applications they received. I have yet to hear from them and the 14 days are up. Should I contact them, or would that show lack of patience on my part and hurt my chances? I applied for the Austin PD, anybody else apply for it as well on here? Thanks for any advice!
                      Nate
                      Be paitent, Grasshopper. The L.E. selection process takes several months, or is a few cases, YEARS to complete. You must play the waiting game. The timeline they told you was a general guidline, nothing more. Weeks or months on end will pass before you hear a peep. Then out of the blue: BAM! There's that letter or phone call or email; It's time for your oral exam, or PT test, or whatever......

Best advice: Make all your preparations for each upcoming step, then go on with your life.......It will be less painful if you stop looking at the calendar.
                      Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Don't get discouraged! Whatever you do don't let that happen. I did it when I was 21 and I ended up staying at a job I hated instead of trying to apply more places. Now 7 years later I'm trying again and actually self sponsoring myself in an academy. Keep your chin up if you don't get hired at the first place. Don't make the mistake of assuming that every department will feel the same way about your application... I know of people that have used narcotics throughout their college careers and are now on departments (not implying anything), but if they can do it... virtually anyone can.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2617 users online. 135 members and 2482 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X