300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with "that guy"

We are at a loss as to how to deal with "that guy" in our academy (It's actually 2 people). We're in the 5th week. It's not a live-in so we all go home and have to act like adults and remember to bring all of our gear in the morning. Well these 2 people cannot EVER remember to bring all of their stuff. And I'm not talking about something like a traffic vest or something that we use once in a blue moon. I'm talking about watches, pens, hats, etc. Stuff that is apart of our uniform. And if 1 person forgets it, we all can't wear it to stay uniform.

This has been an ongoing problem with these 2, and we've tried talking to them nicely, someone sends out an e-mail EVERY night reminding people of what we're doing the next day, what gear we're wearing, and to bring everything we need. Short of going to their house in the morning and packing their gear for them, we have no idea what to do with the forgetfulness issue.

And then to top it all off, 1 of them is incredibly disrespectful to all the instructors. This particular recruit has already been yelled at for rolling their eyes at an instructor during inspection. Today though was the icing on the cake. We're doing EVOC training this week, and we were performing rolling roadblocks. Well beforehand they specifically reminded the trailing car to trail at a safe distance and to NOT hit the "bad guy". Well first time through this particular recruit smashes into the "bad guy" denting his bumper, and destroying his own headlight, as well as damaging the quarter panel. Normally one would expect someone to be incredibly apologetic/terrified afterward. This recruit starts to LAUGH, and then start saying how he wasn't even going that fast, and generally just saying the instructors were all wrong. And that was before lunch.

After lunch certain recruits were given training aids to help them out. If you don't shuffle steer, you get to carry a steering wheel around with you. This same recruit had been given a wheel the day before. The instructor went around the class asking those with training aids if they thought they deserved them. Everyone else says, "Yes ma'am." She gets to this recruit and he says, "No ma'am" and then begins to tell her how he's better when he does it his own way.

This has completely pushed most of the class off the edge, and we're sick of looking like idiots because of these 2 people who just cannot get their stuff together. We've tried behind closed doors talks where we don't single people out (but it's plainly obvious who we're talking about), but just kind of remind everyone what we should be doing, and how we should be acting. We send out e-mails every night explaining everything anyone needs to know. I guess we could call people every morning, but at what point do people just need to start acting like adults? I hate to give up on someone, but if after over a month they still haven't gotten their act together, will they ever? And it's not like these recruits don't have any friends in the academy, because they do. They have people trying to help them, but I don't know if they're just incapable of acting responsibly/respectfully or what. How did you guys deal with "that guy" in your academy?

Problems like that usually end up fixing themselves.....
    Originally posted by kontemplerande
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

^^^^ Yep^^^^^^

The instructors know who are the screw-ups....they are not going to ding those of you who are being respectful and following directions. Oh don't worry-----the instructors will still mess with ALL class members............but they know the score.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Who ordered the code red on Santiago...
        Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

Don’t worry your instructors have a handle on what is going on, do what you have to do and worry about that. Trying to “fix” the problem by any other means that what you are doing will only result in your demise. F them, soon enough they will be “that” guy in the unemployment line.
          It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Originally posted by DACP View Post
            Don’t worry your instructors have a handle on what is going on, do what you have to do and worry about that. Trying to “fix” the problem by any other means that what you are doing will only result in your demise. F them, soon enough they will be “that” guy in the unemployment line.
            Remember this-----------throughout your career. You can only really help people that want your help. You can't fix anything for anyone -----
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

As SRT said, those problems fix themselves. The instructors know that you guys have tried to talk to these 2 and tried different methods to get them to fall in line. The instructors also know that these 2 are THEIR problem now and are on a short fuse...

Good Luck to you in the School...

Comment

Don't waste any more time trying to help these idiots. The cadre at your academy know who these ******bags are. You are there to start a new career not carry these assclowns along. Let em' go hang themselves. Hopefully they will not graduate.
                Rangers Lead The Way. " Crooks are people who don't want real jobs". " Those ain't my pants officer but the money in the pockets is mine".

Comment

Originally posted by Buffaloboy View Post
                  Who ordered the code red on Santiago...
                  ^^^^This
                  "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
                  I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow.

Your guy sounds EXACTLY like my guy. Are his initials JM?

Another member here PM’d me about a similar post I left, and what I described mirrors almost EXACTLY what you left, and he asked if my guy was his guy, and I’m wondering if my guy is YOUR guy :-)

Long story short my guy basically did many things like you mention and the instructors had their crosshairs on him. Once they had an opportunity they pounced.

He was the first one removed from the academy, and for conduct unbecoming. So he’s done, he’ll never be a cop in California so long as his record is on file with my academy and so long as they check his previous enrollments.

All others that didn’t graduate washed out, my guy was KICKED out.

1) Always late,
                    2) Rolling eyes to class president when being talked too
                    3) Had to have a special gun very different from all others
                    4) Professed to be USAF para rescue, but only spent 6 months in the USAF.
                    5) Had to miss a day of class once to deal with a DUI hearing.
                    6) Would actually FAIL report writing tests (and have to take them over). No one else failed, not even those with English problems.
                    7) He tried to sue me personally because I was class treasurer and when he was kicked out I didn’t give him his class dues back.
                    8) Wore sweatbands to PT. He looked like something out of Flash Dance.

When he was kicked out we were informed just before our PT run. It was an awesome run. There was a positive energy in our cadence, it was like we were all given a huge reprieve.

I very much like the fact he was kicked out first. At least those that didn’t make it to the end in my class made it longer than he did.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
                    - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

This is a great learning opportunity for you, because one you are on with a department, you will find something out......EVERY dept seems to also have "one of those guys."
                      Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Comment

The only thing you can do is make sure that you're squared away and doing things the right way, everytime. He's a grown man, who is soon to be trusted with a gun and a department vehicle full of city/county/state gas. If he can't remember his hat, he'll lose his a** sooner rather than later, and be out of a job.

I liked these people at my academy, they diverted attention away from my shenanigans and made me look better by comparison. Not a single one of "those guys" in my academy are still in police work.
                        Originally posted by K40
                        To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                        ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

We had demerit cards, forget to bring anything you mentioned and it was a demerit. 5 demerits and you were separated. Our "special" boy showed up on his last day 2 weeks in hung over, late (we were a live in academy forgot to mention that), with no pants belt, wearing tennis shoes (boots required with shine *surprise* I know sarcasm), with out the demerit card you were required to carry in case you earn a demerit. He was separated that day. Apparently its a record still spoken of to new basic's 7 years later, the only guy to get 5 demerits in one day. And no he wasn't retarded, his "daddy" was some high priced attorney that was sending him through self sponsored.

Oh but the guy that drove me nuts? The "what if" guy. 15 minutes before being released on friday for the weekend the "what if" guy HAD TO BRING UP QUESTIONS HE HAD FROM ALLLLLLL THEEEEE DAAAAYYYYYSSSS BEFORE!!!! SHUT UP!!!! I WANT TO GET THE F- OUT OF HERE SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP!!!!!!
                          Last edited by Redders; 03-05-2011, 02:40 AM.
                          Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
                          I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
                          Originally posted by weinerdog2000
                          as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by PtlCop View Post
                            The only thing you can do is make sure that you're squared away and doing things the right way, everytime. He's a grown man, who is soon to be trusted with a gun and a department vehicle full of city/county/state gas. If he can't remember his hat, he'll lose his a** sooner rather than later, and be out of a job.
                            +1, and to be honest the chances of these people getting hired will be slim to none. Most departments will contact the academy director and sometimes staff to see what they are all about. People know people in Law Enforcement and if you are not taking your academy seriously, departments looking at you wont take you seriously.
                            Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. - Matthew 5:9

Welcome to the greatest show on earth......

Comment

Is this an agency academy where everryone is hired, or is is it a college acadmy where you have non sponser cadets?

Either way I think this guy needs to stop having friends in the academy. If everyone really feeels as you do it is time to freeze them out. No contact no help. Let them feel alone.
                              Originally posted by FJDave
                              GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
                              "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4210 users online. 224 members and 3986 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X