300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resume help: first time applying to a department

Is there anything here you'd add to? Or get rid of?

Previous work experience:
    2007-Current - Night manager of college computer lab.
    2006-2007 - Shift manager of Long John Silvers.
    2005-2006 - Public Works Department associate.
    2005-2006 - Home Health caregiver

Additional training: CPR & First Aide certified, Motorcycle Endorsement, Eagle Scout, Forensic Science training, 20 logged hours of ride-alongs.

I'm also friends with a lot of guys that are Cops/Soldiers around the state, should I use them as references? If it would look better to have "Officer Mike" instead of just civilian citizens?

Somehow I want to add that I'll have an associates degree in Criminal Justice hand by December, and a Bachelors in Criminal Justice by 2011. How would I do that? And possibly listing some of the more important classes like Constitutional Rights, Substantive Law, etc.

Appreciate it guys!

As for your work experience, you should list your duties/responsibilities at each job. Also list any promotions or advancements. At Long John's, for instance, did you start off as shift manager? Even if you didn't get a pay raise, you can call any change in title or position a promotion.
    Have an education section, and if you are currently enrolled in the school, put the name of the school and expected graduation date and degree you will get. Also in the education section have a subheading, such as "relevant course work," where you can list those classes. If you have a good GPA (3.0 or higher), put it on your resume. If not, don't.
    For references, pick only the one's that know you best. Of course, it would be good to have a cop on there, if you know him/her well, but it probably wouldn't help to list 12 different cops or everyone you know.
    Usually, the references will be a part of a subsequent background investigation, so I don't know if you should really even put references on your resume. They probably won't call references until later in the process, but I guess every dept. does it differently.
    "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

First I have to ask, is the department you are applying for specifically asking for a resume, or did you decide on your own to add a resume to your application, to make yourself more attractive as a candidate?
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by adeutch View Post
        As for your work experience, you should list your duties/responsibilities at each job. Also list any promotions or advancements. At Long John's, for instance, did you start off as shift manager? Even if you didn't get a pay raise, you can call any change in title or position a promotion.
        Have an education section, and if you are currently enrolled in the school, put the name of the school and expected graduation date and degree you will get. Also in the education section have a subheading, such as "relevant course work," where you can list those classes. If you have a good GPA (3.0 or higher), put it on your resume. If not, don't.
        For references, pick only the one's that know you best. Of course, it would be good to have a cop on there, if you know him/her well, but it probably wouldn't help to list 12 different cops or everyone you know.
        Usually, the references will be a part of a subsequent background investigation, so I don't know if you should really even put references on your resume. They probably won't call references until later in the process, but I guess every dept. does it differently.
        Good points! Thanks!

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
        First I have to ask, is the department you are applying for specifically asking for a resume, or did you decide on your own to add a resume to your application, to make yourself more attractive as a candidate?
        They requested a resume.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11933 users online. 443 members and 11490 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X