300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are K-9s really abused?

I've done a bit of my own research and mainly read about how K-9s that pass and don't pass their training courses are often mistreated by their handlers/trainers. I don't know how often this happen or if it still does but have read that their is another method of training that doesn't give dogs a just "bite and tear" mentality if that makes sense it's called the bark and hold from what I heard. Dunno if we use this method now but if we don't why can't we?

Since you aren’t LE, nor a Handler, what you’ve read has just confused you. There are several different techniques used to train. You’ve managed to morph them.

What abuse are you referring to?
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindful View Post
      I've done a bit of my own research and mainly read about how K-9s that pass and don't pass their training courses are often mistreated by their handlers/trainers. I don't know how often this happen or if it still does but have read that their is another method of training that doesn't give dogs a just "bite and tear" mentality if that makes sense it's called the bark and hold from what I heard. Dunno if we use this method now but if we don't why can't we?
      You have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about.

Reading about something is nothing like practical experience with the subject at hand.

EVERY K9 I have been around has been treated as a loyal partner by their handler........................anything else you have "read about" is an aberration, a lie, or an isolated incident in compared to the norm .

As far as their original training...........................well lets just say that much about police work is not pretty, although that part is often necessary
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Loved my K-9, my friend, my companion. Simply put, a K9 will search and do other trained things because it is fun and he enjoys it...think positive reinforcement. If you abuse a dog in training, it is no longer a fun enjoyable duty.....and the results show it. Once a dog does not enjoy something, good luck having him performed what you trained him for...his prey drive will shut down.

....as for "bite and tear"...you mean Bite and hold vs Bark and hold. Two different schools of thought on patrol K9's...both work well.

If a handler (or another officer) saw another handler intentionally abusing a K9...that's it, no longer a handler. PD's spend a lot of money on K9 units, they will not tolerate this kind of performance.
        Last edited by Kraut0783; 07-31-2019, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Here is what happens when a K9 is abused

https://www.kcci.com/article/k9-slam...-says/28574593
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4838 users online. 183 members and 4655 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X