300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaving

I have a question. I am an African American male and if you did not know sometimes shaving can be a huge issue. I am in search of a police job but when I shave it tears my face up. Will agency's allow me to have a stubble via a waiver or if I can't shave I'm screwed? I am seeking a dermatologist to help with the razor bumps but they are really bad.

Check with HR. I've seen many that would. Have you tried an electric razor? I have sensitive skin and have been using an electric razor for the last few weeks to see how it woks out. So far, so good. Not as close as a blade, gotta shave daily, but a lot less razor burn and discomfort.
    Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Not sure where you are located in the US, but some agencies allow facial hair anyway. Try checking around. In the meantime, your dermatologist may give you treatment options that will suffice for agencies that require facial grooming.

Comment

Definitely go with an electric razor. I'm also African American and using regular razors in the Army always made me break out. A decent pair of clippers and attention to detail when shaving should do it.

Comment

MANY departments allow religious or medical exemptions for facial hair. In my opinion it would be unreasonable for a department not to allow a medical exemption. It's a very minor thing that has virtually zero effect on the job.

Comment

Totally dependent on the department. I use an electric razor Tues/Wed/Thurs/Fri, then let it grow out & shave with a blade Monday morning. I get burn too, shaving with a blade if the hair is not long enough.
            REINSTATE THE TRIG
            Originally posted by Iowa #1603
            Your logic defies logic
            Originally posted by Rudy8116
            Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
            Originally posted by Michigan
            Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
            Originally posted by TheTick
            A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
            Originally posted by TheTick
            This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
            Originally posted by 02paul09
            Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

Comment

Facial hair is becoming an acceptable trend in law enforcement and I think a medical exemption wouldn't be out of line in any case, though not every agency is going to grant it. If the one you're applying to doesn't bite, I wouldn't waste time arguing with them. In any case, have you tried shaving with a good straight or safety razor and using a brush with a high-quality shaving soap? It made a world of difference for me. Even swapping out your razor more often might help, those store bought razors aren't really meant for more than 3-4 shaves max.

Comment

Let me know if it works... I need to use that complaint.

Comment

Originally posted by DepTroop View Post
                  In any case, have you tried shaving with a good straight or safety razor and using a brush with a high-quality shaving soap? It made a world of difference for me. Even swapping out your razor more often might help, those store bought razors aren't really meant for more than 3-4 shaves max.
                  I am an OCD shaver! I'm also a fan of the DE razor, although I switched out of protest for paying 30 bucks for a pack of razors that constantly "upgraded". Once I went to DE razors and a nice shave soap or real cream, I will never go back to multi blades and canned goop. Although I will say the learning curve can be a little steep and it took some trial and error to learn blade/razor/soap combinations that work for me.
                  I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• DepTroop
                    DepTroop commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Definitely a learning curve, but I feel so much more sophisticated, ha! It turned shaving from a chore into an enjoyable ritual.

Originally posted by BiteThePullet View Post
                  Totally dependent on the department. I use an electric razor Tues/Wed/Thurs/Fri, then let it grow out & shave with a blade Monday morning. I get burn too, shaving with a blade if the hair is not long enough.
                  +1. Grow it out on days off, blade shave the beginning of the week then electric after that. The army handed out shaving profiles like candy, too. Department may work with you with medical paperwork.

Comment

I have a question. Why did you start this thread in this forum?
                    OFFICER.COM FORUM RULES & GUIDELINES
                    Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
                    In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
                    Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
                    Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

I am AA use an electric razor that's get close. I was in the military for 5 years and had a no shave chit. I choose not to shave in country because I was going to be filthy mess. Electric razors work just as good if not better than an actually razor

Comment

My department requires all male officers to be clean shaven, with the exception of a mustache (unless you're on an undercover assignment). I've been using electric razors since I was 18, hate manual razors.
                        The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                        that we are all that stands between
                        the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6436 users online. 205 members and 6231 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X