300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Dad

I feel compelled to say something here. My apologies if this is uncomfortable or inappropriate:

My dad died last night. He was 85. He was like so many other retired cops from his generation - before he saved lives here for 30 years, he, along with a million other teenagers, saved the world, in World War 2.

In his case, it was Guadelcanal, Fiji, Tonga Islnds and other places. He was shot once by a strafing Zero and ultimately caught Malaria.

Once home, he suffered from what we now call Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and in that day, a man simply had to swallow it and carry on. He did, with the help of my mom, who found him sleeping off a drunken fog on the stoop of the drug store in which she worked. She, saved him from himself.

He sobered up, became a cop and the rest, produced myself and my brother and 30 years of honorable service.

My message here, is more than I will forever be thankful that he knew I loved him and that I knew he loved me. It is that he knew, because I told him, that he was not only my hero, but that the men of his generation were heroes to all of us - that his spilled blood, be it on the sand in the Pacific or the streets of Los Angeles, was not spilled in vane. That he and his comrades, will be remembered with reverence and humble respect forever.

Of course, when I told him that last part, he scoffed it off like so many of them do, and wanted none of it - no accolades, no recognition, other than to live in peace here in the nation they served and saved.

If you know someone like him - of his age - know they are dying by the thousands every day and soon, the last WW2 vet will be gone. In some way, find it in yourselves to thank them. To recognize what they gave us.

I have lived my life; I served as a cop, always trying to be some reflection of what my dad was. While I will never be as brave nor as strong, I will honor him by trying to be.

Just a thought to all who might read this.

Carry on...
    Last edited by 1042 Trooper; 03-24-2007, 01:16 PM.
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

I am sorry to hear of your loss and our loss of such a great man. I lost my father in 1982 and I still miss him dearly. You and your family will be in my prayers and thoughts. If there is anything I can do please let me know.

Comment

Very sorry to hear of your loss....
      Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss, but envy you your hero. God Bless.
        sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Please accept our condolenses on the loss of your father. Sounds like he was a good hard working man. Thank you also for reminding us that life is precious and you need to let your loved ones know what they mean to you.

Comment

Very beautifully written...my condolences to you and your family. I can see that your father lived a good, and long life, as a good man.

Comment

Im sorry to hear that trooper.
              sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

Trooper, I too am very sorry for your loss.

However, man! What a full life. A life well lived.

I can't remember and I don't want to search your previous posts, but was he LAPD?
                "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

My condolences to you as well. You and your family will be in my prayers.
                  Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

~~ Life's a garden, dig it ~~

Comment

What a wonderful tribute to a hero. My prayers are with you and your family in this time of grieve, now another can go rest high on that mountain his work here on earth is done.

Comment

Sorry for your pain.
                      It's been two years for me and my Dad is in my thoughts several times a day.
                      Only time will take the sting away.
                      Last edited by Sgt. Geezer; 03-25-2007, 09:05 AM.
                      Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
                      Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

Comment

My Prayers and condolences to you and your family.

Comment

Wow, I am speechless after reading that. I am sorry for your loss Trooper. Your father sounds like he was a smart man who raised an equally smart man. I don't really know what else to say except that you two were lucky to have had such a wonderful and close relationship and I hope that he didn't suffer.
                          R.I.P. Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Munden

You're service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Kieth M.
                          I once knew a guy who said, "I'll step over any nine to get to three threes!"

I knew at that precise moment that he and I would never get into a fistfight over a woman.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your dad, Trooper. My condolences to you and your family.

I was taught in school that if you choose the vocation of parenthood, you have the responsibility to bring up people equipped to live lives with integrity and respect. Sounds like your dad topped his class.

"And He will raise you up on eagle's wings, bear you on the breath of dawn, make you to shine like the sun, and hold you in the palm of His hand." On Eagle's Wings

Comment

I'm so sorry for you loss, you have my deepest condolences. Your father, as a WWII Vet, really was a hero. I'm Jewish and lost several family members to the Nazis, and as far as I'm concerned, anyone who fought the Axis (Japan included) is a true hero. By being a WWII Vet AND a police officer, he is truly in a class of his own.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5622 users online. 399 members and 5223 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X