300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer killed in Chesapeake

Just heard on breaking news. An officer of Chesapeake, VA was killed in a bank robbery. Supposedly the officer, the bank robber, and a by-stander were shot. The first 2 were killed in the incident. No name has been released yet.

http://www.wtkr.com/Global/story.asp?S=3954127

I think VASteve is on with that department. Stay safe everyone.

Originally posted by YJ95
    Just heard on breaking news. An officer of Chesapeake, VA was killed in a bank robbery. Supposedly the officer, the bank robber, and a by-stander were shot. The first 2 were killed in the incident. No name has been released yet.

I'm at such a loss for words, I graduated with this Officer ealry this summer......The pain is unbearable.

I'll try to post some public details tommorrow.

GOD DAMNIT

Comment

Originally posted by chespd2be
      I'm at such a loss for words, I graduated with this Officer ealry this summer......The pain is unbearable.

I'll try to post some public details tommorrow.

GOD DAMNIT
      So sorry for your loss. I will keep you in my prayers.

Comment

Ches, sorry for your loss brother.

Comment

Originally posted by YJ95

yes i got the call this morning and had to place the phone down for a second and think about how and why...
          not to mention, the scene was about 4 miles from my house... un freaking real!!

Comment

Condolences

Words can't convey our sense of loss at these times but we have to try... if only to prove to ourselves that what we do is all really worth it at the end of the Day.

May God rest his soul and look over his family.

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss, Ches and VASteve. You, your department and the officer's family are in my prayers.
              Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Sincere condolences to the friends, family, work colleagues, to the Department and all who knew him.

Comment

My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends & colleagues at this trying time.

Comment

News links don't last very long on some media sites, so I am going to post this.....

For his second career, Michael Kevin Saffran wanted to be a police officer, just like his dad.

So after 20 years with the Navy, the retired petty officer first class signed up for the police academy. He became a member of the Chesapeake Police Department in November .

Less than a year into the job, Saffran, 45, was gunned down Saturday by a bank robbery suspect on Old George Washington Highway. He died at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital a short time later.

He leaves behind two children and his wife of 14 years. Chesapeake police declined to give their names, saying they wanted privacy. A woman who answered the phone at the Saffran home said his wife did not want to comment.

A native of Baltimore, Saffran came to Hampton Roads in 1991 with the Navy. His late father served on the Baltimore force.

The family was still making funeral arrangements Sunday night.

Meanwhile, Chesapeake police are investigating the robbery and shooting.

Police shot the bank robbery suspect, Larry D. Blount, 43, of the 3500 block of Raytee Drive, and he died at the scene.

The shootout between Blount and police started shortly after an alarm was triggered at the Bank of Hampton Roads at 852 N. George Washington Highway in Chesapeake Saturday morning, a few minutes before 10. Police said the suspect sped away from the bank with at least one hostage in a car belonging to one of the bank?s tellers.

Police followed the car, which crashed into a guardrail at the tight corner of Old George Washington Highway and Yadkin Road. Blount emerged from the car with a hostage. He began shooting, and police officers shot back, killing him.

One hostage was shot in the leg but was treated and released from the hospital later in the day.

While Chesapeake police will not say how many hostages were in the car with Blount, one witness said he saw three.

Jason McGee, 29, pastor of New Beginnings Worship Center in Chesapeake, was driving down George Washington Highway Saturday morning when he saw a car crumpled against the guardrail.

"I thought it was an accident and I needed to jump out and help," McGee said.

He stopped his car about 20 feet from the accident scene, he said, but before he could get out he noticed a police car parked farther up the road. As he watched, a man got out of the wrecked car, pulling a passenger with him. McGee said it looked as if the man had the passenger in a chokehold, leading him to believe the man was perhaps an off-duty police officer arresting someone.

Then the man's hand dropped, and McGee saw the gun he was holding.

"He started shooting toward the police car," McGee said. "Boom! Boom! Boom!" McGee watched as the man released the passenger, then run back to the car and grab another person, a woman. McGee said the man put a gun to the woman's head and advanced on the police car. Then he started shooting again.

At that point, McGee said, he put his car in reverse and started backing up as quickly as he could. While he was backing up, McGee said he saw a third passenger emerge from the car.

"He was shooting all over the place," McGee said. "I just knew everyone was dead."

Another witness, Joe Dockery, who was cleaning his gutters, watched the scene from his roof about 20 yards away. He said he saw three people in the car when it crashed into the guardrail.
                    Last edited by SHERIFF; 10-10-2005, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Sheriff.

I appreciate the many PM's with your thoughs and prayers A few of you have asked for donation info, etc...I'll post it along with the Memorial Service details later.

Thanks again for your notes, Michael was a good man!

Comment

Thanks, Sheriff.

I appreciate the many PM's with your thoughs and prayers A few of you have asked for donation info, etc...I'll post it along with the Memorial Service details later.

Thanks again for your notes, Michael was a good man!
                        the memorial service info was passed on today, however we didnt get all of the details... so Ches, if you have the details, post them up...

Comment

Originally posted by VAsteve20
                          the memorial service info was passed on today, however we didnt get all of the details... so Ches, if you have the details, post them up...
                          Steve,

The Service is Thursday at 1100 on Cedar Road. I'm positive you guys will be there. I'll grab the exact details this evening when I head in.

Comment

Steve,

The Service is Thursday at 1100 on Cedar Road. I'm positive you guys will be there. I'll grab the exact details this evening when I head in.
                            I'm working 1700-0300, but I'll be there. 1 Hr drive for me.
                            What is it about, "Thou shalt not.....", do some people not understand?
                            Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Comment

Service Details:
                              Thursday at 11:00 a.m.
                              Prince of Peace Catholic Church
                              621 Cedar Road, Chesapeake, VA 23322

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4768 users online. 296 members and 4472 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X