Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Leandro, CA Officer Shot and Killed

http://www.kron4.com/Global/story.as...1&nav=5D7lcZih

SAN LEANDRO (KRON) -- Authorities have now discovered the car belonging to a Newark man suspected in the shooting death of a San Leandro Police Officer.

Investigators say the officer, whose identity has not been revealed, was a three year veteran of the East Bay department.

Witnesses say neighbors called police at 10:50 p.m. Friday to complain of young people loitering on Doolittle Drive. The officer arrived and started talking with a group of young adults.

That's when investigators say a car drove up and someone inside fired several shots hitting the policeman in the head. He was taken to a Castro Valley hospital where he died.

Investigators say they have evidence 22-year old Irving Ramirez of Newark was involved in the shooting. Officers are watching his house. If you've seen him, contact your local police department immediately.

Detectives found Ramirez's car just yards from the crime scene. They are now searching it for evidence.

Police officials in San Leandro say the officer's death is like a loss in the family.

(Copyright 2005, KRON 4, All rights reserved.)
    *Not a cop*

Hopefully they catch this waste of flesh before he makes it down to mexico.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Police officials in San Leandro say the officer's death is like a loss in the family.
      It is.

Be careful out there guys, it seems like this type of ambush cop killing is becoming popular. My prayers to that Officer's family, and that includes his dept.
      "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

I hate for this to be my first post. I've been lurking while testing with a department. But I had to post that I knew Dan.

He was a member in my rifle club that served for a time as our Treasurer. He also ran a defensive pistol club and was a hell of an instructor in tactics. Unfortunately tactics never came in to play as it appears he was ambushed. He was a hell of a nice guy, easy going and laid back and he will be sorely missed. Prayers for his wife and children and for justice for the miscreant that did this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean90GT
          I hate for this to be my first post. I've been lurking while testing with a department. But I had to post that I knew Dan.

He was a member in my rifle club that served for a time as our Treasurer. He also ran a defensive pistol club and was a hell of an instructor in tactics. Unfortunately tactics never came in to play as it appears he was ambushed. He was a hell of a nice guy, easy going and laid back and he will be sorely missed. Prayers for his wife and children and for justice for the miscreant that did this.

Sean, I'm sorry for your loss. Dan sounds like a helluva guy and a good officer.
          *Not a cop*

Comment

Suspect In San Leandro Police Officer Slaying Arrested

Thanks Officer Niemi.......we'll continue to patrol down here, please watch over us from up above.........God bless you!
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------

DALY CITY -- San Leandro police officials report that 23-year-old Irving Ramirez was arrested Tuesday afternoon in connection with the shooting death of officer Nels "Dan" Niemi.

San Leandro police said Ramirez was arrested in the 400 block of 88th Street in Daly City without incident at 4:20 p.m. today.

Lt. Mark Decouloud said officer Nels "Dan" Niemi, 42, was shot multiple times after he responded to a report of a disturbance in the 14700 block of Doolittle Drive about 11 p.m. Monday.

Decouloud identified the suspect in the shooting as 22-year-old Irving "Gotti" Ramirez of Newark. Decouloud said Ramirez was not among the group of people that caused the disturbance, which was reported by residents in the area, but he drove up to the scene after officer Niemi arrived.

Niemi and Ramirez engaged in a casual conversation and "there was no indication it would turn into a violent assault," Decouloud said.

But Ramirez then opened fire on Niemi then fled the scene, Decouloud said.

Police Chief Joe Kitchen said "there's a pall over the entire the city" because of Niemi's death, saying "there's a family atmosphere here."

Kitchen said the last time a San Leandro police officer was killed in the line of duty was nearly 40 years ago.

San Leandro Mayor Sheila Young described the incident as "a terrible, senseless crime" and said "it touches every one of us very deeply."

Kitchen said Niemi joined the Police Department three years ago after previously working in the computer industry.

He said Niemi "quietly went about his business" as an officer and said "when you think of your best friend from the seventh grade -- that's Dan Niemi."

Kitchen said Niemi is survived by his wife and a 13-year-old son a 6-year-old daughter.

Comment

Thank god they got him. R.I.P officer.

Comment

Cop Killer Faces Death Sentence!

HAYWARD -- Irving Ramirez was charged Thursday with murder and three special circumstances clauses that could bring him the death penalty if he is convicted in the shooting death of San Leandro police Officer Nels "Dan" Niemi.

Alameda County Deputy District Attorney Bob Hartman said the special circumstances he filed against Ramirez were murdering a police officer in the performance of his duties, lying in wait and murder to avoid arrest. Ramirez also was charged with using a firearm, Hartman said.

Ramirez, dressed in red jail clothing, looked at a large bank of television and still cameras as Alameda County Superior Court Judge Alfred Delucchi -- who presided over the Scott Peterson murder trial -- read the charges against him him this afternoon.

Ramirez, a 23-year-old Newark resident, is accused of shooting Niemi, 42, while the officer investigated a loitering and disturbance call involving juveniles on the western edge of San Leandro.

San Leandro police said the shooting was unprovoked.

Lt. Marc DeCoulode said police have interviewed a man who arrived at and left the shooting scene with Ramirez, but the man was not arrested because he is considered a witness, not a suspect.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3167 users online. 152 members and 3015 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X