300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hARRIS CO SO DEPUTY KILLS HC PCT 6 DEPUTY

HARRIS CO SO DEPUTIES WERE INVOLVED HIGH SPEED CHASE. CROOK CRASHED FOOT PURSUIT INSUED AN OFF DUTY PCT 6 CONSTABLE WORKING XTRA JOB ASSISTED DREW HIS WEAPON & TOOK CHASE THE HARRIS COUNTY SO DEPUTY FIRED AT HIM MISTAKEN HIM FOR THE CROOK & FIRED 14 SHOTS-4 ROUNDS HITTING THE DEPUTY IN THE BACK .........D.O.S. I.A.D. INVESTIGATIONS IS ONGOING WILL KEEP YOU GUYS UPDATED ...STAY SAFE
    Last edited by sgtjtaylor; 07-31-2005, 01:15 AM.
    "DROP IT" .........lights out! crook cooked!

Any more info on this?

Comment

The constable was working his second job, doing apartment security. The deputy was chasing a 17 year old (who got away, but later turned himself in). The constable and the deputy both were in on the chase,as the juveline ran throught the complex. The deputy mistook the constable for the juvenile. The constable was wearing jeans, black tshirt and had his badge on a chain around his neck, but for whatever reason, did not stop or acknowledge the deputy. The deputy shot the constable in the back 4 times.
      Nothing new since, the constable was buried about a month ago-I assume the deputy is on whatever leave/suspension is given during situation like this.

Brings up the problem of whether LEOs working extra jobs should be in some short of uniform maybe??

Comment

Our agency has a policy on uniforms being worn on off duty details, even for the plainclothes detectives. They still have to wear the uniform on details.

Comment

Shot in the back? What was his cause for shooting him? I don't get it, even if he is running with a weapon drawn, LEO's aren't allowed to fire unless the man is actually trying to shoot them right? I admit I don't know the situation or anything the deputy went through but why fire your weapon at a suspect running from you?

Comment

Don't jump to conclusions just because he was shot in the back. Reaction time plays a big factor in things and he may have been facing him when his mind said "pull trigger." By the time it reached his finger he could have been turned. I don't have any inside info here, we just don't want to jump this officer before need be.
            "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

That is very true! Sorry.

Comment

The off-duty LEO was a courtesy officer at the complex...so he probably didn't have time to get into a proper uniform. The saddest thing about this case is that the deceased constable was only a reserve, waiting to get picked up full-time. He wasn't supposed to have any off-duty gigs. It wasn't authorized or legal.

Comment

Shooting a fleeing traffic violator is bull ****. To many innocent people are killed because of some overzealous trigger happy dumbass. Gives all cops a bad name. I will blow a mf away in a heartbeat but I damn sure will be in fear of my life or the life of another. Not because some ****-willy made me mad for running from me. THis bs should not happen.

Comment

The fleeing suspect was NOT shot-he got away, but later turned himself in. 17 year old in a, I think, stolen car....

Nothing new as of yet about this shooting...

Comment

I totally agree with AK-47. Because the offense was a traffic violation (stolen auto), the only reason that I can see for the officer firing was because he saw the off duty LEO with his gun out and mistook him for the suspect. However, I find it very unlikely that the shooting was justified. I'm sure that the off duty LEO wouldn't have pointed his gun at a uniformed officer and the deputy should have never shot at the back of the suspect, even if he did have a gun. He shot 14 TIMES at someones back. I don't care what anyone says about reaction times, you don't empty your gun at someones back in a situation as minor as a fleeing stolen auto suspect. In my opinion, there is no way that he can justify that. Whether Harris County does anything with his dumb *** or not is still to be seen, however, the deputy will have to live the rest of his life knowing he shot another cop IN THE BACK and killed him. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not sure I could live with myself after that.

Comment

It is a sad case-and no ruling has been made yet as to the deputy's accountability for this action.
                        The thing that has us wondering here is, why didn't the constable identify himself? Especially since he wasn't in uniform? Guess we'll never know and things obviously happened very quickly that night...

Comment

There is some speculation as to why the Constable was working an extra job as an officer. It is against regulations for reserve officers to work extra security jobs. This is a true tragity, but what the deputy saw was someone not in uniform dressed in all black with a gun. The responding deputies were shouting to drop the gun, and it was a very sad outcome.

Comment

Shot in the back ??????????????????????????? Even shooting a felon in the back is a no no and likely will end in an indictment. Anyway it goes the least this Deputy has to worry about is his career. He could face a long term lock up.

This is exactly why off duty you make a tough call to get involved.

Plus the "Constable" was a part timer and not authorized off duty.

Comment

There was an incident in Louisville, KY where a local officer was involved in an undercover drug deal-he ended up shooting the 18 year old suspect when the suspect reached for a weapon hidden in his waistband. Somehow, the suspect was shot in the back and died.

The officer was fired and is still trying to get his job back, but was accused of several wrongdoings with the incident, one being, he was supposed to be taping any conversations and his mike was turned off.

Not to discount anyone's life, but the suspect's family raged about 'what a fine young man he was', this, despite the fact he was involved in a possible drug deal in the early morning hours and had a gun...why does an 18 year-old need a gun?!!

Don't know if it ever came out clearly as to how the suspect got shot in the back...
                              I would assume all the police training and scenarios in the world may not mean a thing during an actual incident...all you can do is pray that everything turns out ok in the end...
                              Last edited by lt93lover; 08-21-2005, 02:36 AM. Reason: didn't finish post...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3954 users online. 185 members and 3769 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X