Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Hartford County Deputies Murdered in a "gun free zone"

RIP Brothers....

Two Harford County sheriff’s deputies have died after a shooting both inside and near a restaurant in Abingdon late Wednesday morning, the head of the department said.

Sheriff Jeffrey Gahler didn't immediately identifiy the officers, and asked for "respect and patience during this difficult time for our agency."

He said the officers were veterans of the force, and said the department's prayers are with their families.

"There are no words to describe what they're going through right now," Gahler said at a 5:15 p.m. press briefing.

Two additional officers fired weapons at the scene and have been placed on administrative leave, Gahler said outside the Panera Bread restaurant at the Boulevard at Box Hill. It was there, where he said earlier in the day, "We fully suspect that both deputies were shot by the same suspect."

The suspect was identified as David Brian Evans, 67. There were two warrants for Evans' arrest, Gahler said, one in Florida for assaulting a police officer and fleeing and eluding, and a civil warrant in Harford County.

One deputy was taken to University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Medical Center in Bel Air. The other was flown to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.

"Both deputies have succomed to their injuries," Gahler said at the evening press briefing.

One deputy, with the court services division, was with the Sheriff's Office for 30 years; the other, with the agency for 16 years, was with the community services division.

"Both were two outstanding deputies who served the citizens of this county faithfully for 16 and 30 years, respectively," Gahler said.

The sheriff said he believes the deputy was targeted, saying "the suspect took that action because he was in a police uniform. He certainly targeting them."

Gahler said he met with both families at both hospitals.

Harford County Executive Barry Glassman said Wednesday was a "traumatic day" for the county.

"But we give thanks to the deputies who made the ultimate sacrifice for our citizens," Glassman said, asking Harford residents to life them up and protect their families as they go forward.

"We stand with the sheriff's office and give thanks for their service," he said.

Glassman told The Sun, “We’re just praying for the deputies and their families. I can’t say much more … It’s too soon. I think later this afternoon or in the morning we’ll have a clearer picture.”

Around 11:46 a.m., a deputy encountered a man in the Panera restaurant in the 3400 block of Merchant Boulevard. The man shot at and hit the deputy inside the restaurant and the suspect fled, Gahler said.

He said he was unsure of the nature of the call for the suspect, whether it was disorderly or “it was specific to him.”

Witnesses were able to provide information about where the suspect fled, toward Parkview Apartments, Gahler said, and a responding deputy found him at the bottom of the hill, by Box Hill South Parkway.

“A second deputy was hit by gunfire,” the sheriff said. “The suspect was shot by Harford County sheriff’s deputies and is deceased.

He said the entire incident evolved over about 15 minutes, but added the investigation is in the preliminary stages.

Other customers were in Panera, he said, and fortunately no one else was injured. Those customers were still being interviewed.

There is no danger to the community, the sheriff said.

“We are not looking at anyone else. We believe it’s an individual who’s no longer a threat to the community,” he said.

Gov. Larry Hogan said in a tweet Wednesday afternoon the Maryland State Police are assisting with the investigation.

“I am heartbroken to learn of the violence,” he said. “The First Lady and I send our sincere prayers to all the law enforcement and first responders involved.”

Baltimore Police Commissioner Kevin Davis went to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center on Wednesday to offer his support for the Harford sheriff’s deputies, a city police spokesman said.

Panera's corporate office released a statement Wednesday afternoon saying, "The Panera Family is heartbroken over today’s incident at our Abingdon bakery-cafe. Our thoughts and actions now are directed towards the victims and their families. This location will remain closed as we work with law enforcement to investigate."

Cecilia Weaver, 23, from Bel Air, a Spanish teacher at Joppatowne High School, was with a friend and working on “school stuff” inside the restaurant when she heard what sounded like a shot.

Everyone ran out the front door, said Weaver, who added that she didn’t see the incident herself.

"It is one of those things you hear about happening on the news you don't expect it down the street – I was doing normal human things," she said.

Lynn Faulkner, from Fallston, was in Panera with her daughter, who was taking CPR training in the area.

"We were having brunch and went into Panera” since the kids were off from school, Faulkner said.

She said they saw a guy who looked like he's homeless, disheveled. She said he’s seen him in there before.

To her, it looked like the cop was talking to the man and then shooting started, Faulkner said.

"It’s just not what we expected," she said as her daughter, visibly emotional, talked to a crowd of media. "We were going to do a pancake supper tonight at the church and I'm not sure what we're going to do about that."

Sophia Faulkner, 15, said she thought the sound she heard was glass breaking. She turned around, she said, and saw the deputy shot in the head. She froze when she first saw the deputy bleeding as she tried to process what was happening.

"There were all these little kids running around and screaming," she told reporters at the shopping center. "I really didn't know what to do."

The Fallston High School student and her mother got out of the restaurant unhurt, and she watched people perform CPR on the deputy.

Rod Solle, of Bel Air, was driving along Route 924 when he got a text message about the shooting from his sister. He said he was concerned because his daughter previously worked there.

"I was coming this way anyway, so I pulled in," Solle said, while watching deputies and Maryland State Police troopers investigating the scene.

The Panera and next-door O.C. Brewing Company were cordoned off with yelow crime scene tape. Sheriff's Office and Havre de Grace Police Department vehicles were blocking traffic along the driveways and traffic circles leading to the scene of the first shooting.

"Normally, this side of the county, you don't see too many shootings, that I'm aware of," he said. "It's interesting that things are turning that way these days, especially when it's out in public, restaurants and things like that."

Sara Collins, a manager at the nearby Ocean City Brewing Co., said the restaurant was open at the time of the shooting and lunch guests were dining there. Others took refuge in the building.

“We had people that left on foot from Panera, people that fled the scene safely that were with us,” Collins said, adding those guests stayed in the building until they were allowed to retrieve their belongings from Panera.

Ocean City Brewing Co. closed after the shooting and sent staff home. As of 1:50 p.m. the parking lot at the shopping center was still closed. Collins said the restaurant could reopen later if the parking lot becomes accessible.

“It’s not something you expect on a Wednesday afternoon,” Collins said.

Nearby Wegmans tweeted around 1:30 p.m. that the shooting did not happen inside the grocery store, and issued the following statement: "Our hearts go out to those involved in shooting on property near our Abingdon MD store."
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

RIP Brothers, may you find peace with St Michael watching over you and your families.

Comment

I personally knew both Deputies.

This is a sad day for my county, Harford County.
      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
      that we are all that stands between
      the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SmallCityCop View Post

I'm sorry brother and we're here for you if needed
        Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none - William Shakespeare
        Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.- James Mattis
        It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. - Lt. Gen. George S. Patton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cFL80PN3wA&sns=em

Comment

My thoughts and prayers.
          I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that.

We've had a few that lateraled there.

Comment

Sorry for your loss and I apologize for the misspelling.
              September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

RIP Brothers and I'll be praying for the families

Comment

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2016/0...n-in-maryland/
                  The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

I also read somewhere that up until now the last known LODD was 1887 for Harford.

Sickening...
                    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.- James Mattis
                    It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. - Lt. Gen. George S. Patton

Comment

The last due to gunfire. A few have passed since then (car crashes, cardiac issues).

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

The last due to gunfire. A few have passed since then (car crashes, cardiac issues).
                        Roger that

Comment

LODD's in our Harford:

1899-Dep, Bateman (gunfire)
                          2006- DFC Beebe (heart attack)
                          2009 (I think)- DFC Testerman (heart attack)
                          2012- Cpl Licato (car crash)
                          2012- Sgt Loughran (heart attack)
                          2016- Sr/Dep Daily and Logsdon (gunfire)

This week has sucked major donkey balls.

Comment

Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
                            LODD's in our Harford:

1899-Dep, Bateman (gunfire)
                            2006- DFC Beebe (heart attack)
                            2009 (I think)- DFC Testerman (heart attack)
                            2012- Cpl Licato (car crash)
                            2012- Sgt Loughran (heart attack)
                            2016- Sr/Dep Daily and Logsdon (gunfire)

This week has sucked major donkey balls.
                            I hear that.

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

RIP. Thoughts and prayers go out to the family

It's been a very bad week...its sickening. Stay safe out there everyone.
                              "The greatest substitute for intelligence is silence"

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9400 users online. 521 members and 8879 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X