300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rio Rancho, NM Officer Down

RIP Officer Gregg Benner. Thank you for your service to our community.

http://krqe.com/2015/05/26/rio-ranch...h-for-suspect/

RIO RANCHO, N.M. (KRQE) – Rio Rancho police say 49-year-old Officer Gregg Benner was shot and killed in front of the Ester Bone library Monday night after a traffic stop.

Tuesday morning, local police and federal agents were combing through the surrounding parking lots searching for evidence near the SUV the officer was driving with cones marking where he was shot.

Rio Rancho police say just after 8:00 p.m. Monday night an officer was trying to pull over an Dodge Durango at a nearby Arby’s for a traffic stop. Police say a man and a woman were in the car. At some point things turned violent and Benner was shot and killed.

Witnesses at the scene heard four shots.

Police still have the scene locked down, stretching about 100 yards from the library parking lot west to the Albertsons searching for clues.

KRQE News 13 has learned one suspect was arrested early Tuesday morning at a gas station at Rio Bravo and Broadway in the South Valley.

Benner has been with the department for four years.

“Well liked by everybody on the department and of course, losing him is going to have a great impact with the officers on the department, the civilian employees on the department and I’m sure, once we are able to identify the officer, the community will feel the loss as well,” said Captain Paul Rogers.

Police have not said if they’ve found the Dodge Durango yet or how they tracked that suspect down in the South Valley or who that suspect is.

Police were searching for a 1999 Dodge Durango with a New Mexico license plate. The license plate number is 331 RAT.

They say no suspects are at large.

Rio Rancho Mayor Greggory D. Hull released this statement Tuesday:

“Officer Gregg “Nigel” Benner was killed while in the line of duty. Officer Benner was a dedicated military veteran and law enforcement officer and his tragic death is deeply saddening to the tight-knit community of Rio Rancho. The City of Rio Rancho mourns his untimely death and I urge community members to keep Officer Benner’s family in their thoughts and prayers. Our police officers hold a special place in our hearts as they lay their lives on the line every day protecting our safety and this is a stark reminder of their sacrifice.”
    Mayor R.J. Berry released the following statment:

“I join the community of Rio Rancho as they grieve the loss of an officer in the line of duty. We are grateful to Officer Gregg Benner for his years of service in the military and for serving his community with honor and courage. We will hold him and his family in our thoughts and prayers.”
    RRPD is hosting a press conference at 2:00 p.m. KRQE News 13 will live stream the conference on KRQE News 13, the KRQE App and KRQE.com.

I will surely miss you Nigel. I'll never forget you going 54 in the "car park" at Walmart or answering dispatch with "cheers" or riding ATVs with you for the department. You were a good friend, good officer and amazing person! I can't believe you're gone bro... Rest In Peace 163 we have the watch!

Comment

Rest in Peace Officer Benner. We'll take the watch from here.

Comment

RIP Officer Benner.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7847 users online. 402 members and 7445 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X