300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Highway Patrol Trooper killed in Ocala

A trooper with the Florida Highway Patrol and a tow-truck driver were killed in a crash Saturday on Interstate 75 near Ocala.

The trooper arrived at the scene of a two-car crash on southbound I-75 at Mile Marker 341 at 1:40 p.m.

Twenty minutes later, as the trooper was talking with the tow-truck driver, a multi-vehicle crash occurred in the southbound lanes of I-75.

A southbound pickup truck traveled onto the east shoulder and struck the FHP patrol vehicle, the trooper, the tow-truck driver and another pedestrian as they stood on the shoulder of the road.

"The trooper and the tow truck driver were pronounced deceased on scene," FHP said in a media alert.

The pedestrian was transported in critical condition to Ocala Regional Hospital.

Northbound lanes of I-75 remain open.

Southbound lanes of I-75 have heavy delays due to the traffic homicide investigation.

Drivers should seek an alternate route.

No names were released.
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Trooper Chelsea Renee Richard, 30, of Ocala and tow truck driver John Dugan, 57, of Levy County were pronounced dead at the scene. Richard was a nine-year veteran of the FHP and had been with the Ocala District Office for about a year, troopers said. She is survived by her 4-year-old son, parents, a brother and grandparents.
    I work at an agency where I don't have to work accidents. I often overlook the great danger that comes with sitting on a wreck for hours. The way idiots drive on Florida highways, I'm just glad that more troopers aren't injured/killed. RIP Trooper Richard, hopefully the PBA and FOP can get on board with starting a memorial fund for her son.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4568 users online. 266 members and 4302 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X