• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong-way driver kills Bryan Co. GA deputy

RIP Corporal Robert Crapse

http://www.ajc.com/news/deputy-kille...g-1458597.html

Deputy killed in wrong-way crash

Police say a sheriff's deputy is dead after a head-on crash with a motorist who was driving the wrong way on I-95 near Savannah.

Savannah-Chatham County police said the crash happened around 2 a.m. Friday, soon after police received 911 calls reporting a driver with darkened headlights traveling southbound in the northbound lanes.

Authorities say the wrong-way driver smashed head-on into a sheriff's deputy from neighboring Bryan County, killing him. Police say the deputy was driving home after his shift. Sheriff Clyde Smith identified the deputy as Robert Crapse of Ellabell.

Police identified the other driver as a Richmond Hill woman and said she was taken with life-threatening injuries to a local hospital. No one else was injured.

The Georgia State Patrol is investigating the crash.

http://www2.wsav.com/news/2012/jun/1...nt-ar-3977067/

"Unbelievable": Bryan Co. Sheriff Describes Crash That Killed Corporal Crapse

Bryan County --
    A Bryan County Sheriff's Corporal was killed by a driver traveling the wrong way and with lights off on I-95 early Friday morning.

Savannah-Chatham Metro Police Spokeswoman Gena Sullivan says 23-year-old Patricia Ann Collins of Richmond hill was driving the car that struck 32-year-old Corporal Robert Crapse.

Collins was taken to the hospital by helicopter with what police call life-threatening injuries.

Sullivan told News 3 Savannah-Chatham Metro Police dispatch had actually received calls of a vehicle traveling the wrong way down the interstate with its lights off just before the call came in about the deadly crash.

Sullivan said police put out a BOLLO in Chatham County, but that Crapse would not have heard it. Law Enforcement in Bryan County has access to Chatham dispatch, but would have to manual switch the radio to hear it.

Bryan County Sheriff Clyde Smith says Corporal Robert "Bobby" Crapse will be "sorely missed" by everyone at the department.

Sheriff Smith says Crapse wanted a career in law enforcement and started working at the detention center in 1999, when he was just 19 or 20 years old. He said Crapse became a deputy in 2006 and was working in traffic enforcement and was the canine handler.

Sheriff Smith says his canine partner, Seppe was in the car when the accident occurred and "has some cuts and bruises" but will be all right. He says the dog will be retired and given to Crapse's family.

Sheriff Smith described the circumstances of the accident as almost unbelievable.

Deputy Randy Fields, who knew Crapes for more than a decade, said that "Crapse was a dedicated officer who took his job seriously and who would have given his mama a ticket if he had to."

Sheriff Smith says that Crapse had been working traffic enforcement early Friday with another deputy and that the two were on their way back into Bryan County to continue working when Crapse's car was struck.

According to Savannah-Chatham Metro Police, the impact spun both vehicles. Collins' car ended up facing northbound in the far left lane, and the deputies vehicle ended up in the ditch.

SCMPD also said that Pooler Fire had to extract Collins to be airlifted by Lifestar.

Georgia State Patrol is investigating the accident, that occurred in Pooler’s jurisdiction. Garden City PD, Richmond Hill PD, Southside fire and SCMPD officers were all on scene.

Officials also told News 3 that the deputy was married and had three children.

Flags can be seen flying at half-staff today in Pembroke. Pembroke Telephone Manager Stephanie Morrison said out of respect for Deputy Crapse and his family.

More tonight on News 3.

Go in peace Deputy Crapse.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Prayers to the Officers family and friends. R.I.P. Sir.
      There are certain crimes that are simply too cruel, too sadistic, too hideous to be forgiven.”
      ― John E. Douglas, Journey Into Darkness.

6 Things you don't mess with.
      MY FAITH

MY FAMILY

MY FLAG

MY COUNTRY

MY HONOR AND THE THIN BLUE LINE

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8080 users online. 322 members and 7758 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
      X