Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MA Trooper Paralyzed by 2003 DUI Crash Dies

REST IN PEACE, TROOPER

BOSTON -- Ellen Engelhardt, a Massachusetts State Police trooper who was paralyzed in a drunken driver crash in 2003, has died.

Engelhardt was severely injured and paralyzed when her parked cruiser was rear-ended by a drunken teenager who was going about 90 mph on Route 25 in Wareham on July 26, 2003.
    "Since suffering the tragic injuries inflicted upon her in the line of duty by a drunk driver, Trooper Engelhardt has been an inspiration to every member of this Department for the courage, grace and dignity with which she lived," the State Police said in a statement.
    William P. Senne, of Wayland, who was 18 at the time of the crash, was sentenced to 2 1/2 years in prison after pleading guilty to charges of drunken driving and driving to endanger in 2005.
    Engelhardt was a 23-year veteran of the state police at the time of the crash. She is survived by a daughter, Lora.

Read more: http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news...#ixzz1O3bfGjGY

Everybody counts or no one counts.
    -Harry Bosch

Some of you may remember that in my early days I was sort of a bleeding heart liberal. Then I became a man and put away childish things.
    -Ronald Reagan

Trooper Engelhardt

-Harry Bosch

Some of you may remember that in my early days I was sort of a bleeding heart liberal. Then I became a man and put away childish things.
    -Ronald Reagan

Comment

She was in a vegetative state and unable to communicate since the accident. Trooper Engelhardt may you now rest in peace.
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by redsox2010 View Post
        REST IN PEACE, TROOPER

BOSTON -- Ellen Engelhardt, a Massachusetts State Police trooper who was paralyzed in a drunken driver crash in 2003, has died.

Engelhardt was severely injured and paralyzed when her parked cruiser was rear-ended by a drunken teenager who was going about 90 mph on Route 25 in Wareham on July 26, 2003.
        "Since suffering the tragic injuries inflicted upon her in the line of duty by a drunk driver, Trooper Engelhardt has been an inspiration to every member of this Department for the courage, grace and dignity with which she lived," the State Police said in a statement.
        William P. Senne, of Wayland, who was 18 at the time of the crash, was sentenced to 2 1/2 years in prison after pleading guilty to charges of drunken driving and driving to endanger in 2005.
        Engelhardt was a 23-year veteran of the state police at the time of the crash. She is survived by a daughter, Lora.

Read more: http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news...#ixzz1O3bfGjGY

This is an absolute disgrace by the way. I can't stand this goddamn state sometime. The liberal courts coddle criminals.

-Harry Bosch

-Ronald Reagan

Comment

Here is her ODMP entry:

Trooper
          Ellen E. Engelhardt
          Massachusetts State Police

End of Watch: Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Trooper Ellen Engelhardt succumbed to injuries sustained eight years earlier when her patrol car was struck by a drunk driver on Route 25 in Wareham.

Trooper Engelhardt was parked on the shoulder of the road when the drunk driver struck the rear or her vehicle at nearly 100mph. Her injuries left her in a vegetative state and she was unable to speak or communicate.

The driver was sentenced to only 2 1/2 years in prison.

Trooper Engelhardt had served with the Massachusetts State Police for 23 years. She is survived by her daughter.

Agency Contact Information

Massachusetts State Police
          470 Worcester Road
          Framingham, MA 01702

Phone: (508) 820-2300
          -Harry Bosch

-Ronald Reagan

Comment

I looked up all of these articles and more. One was headlined "Trooper still unable to walk 8 months after accident" which was heartbreaking on its own, then I read the coverage of the court case and she's there in her chair in the courtroom in her obviously vegetative state struggling to breathe and I have tears in my eyes.

I know most of you respectfully disagree with my taking my rage to the level of advocating vigilante justice, but when I see those photos of her (the before and after) and read what she was to her family, her community and her police brothers and sisters.

Then, when I look him up to see what he's done the past eight years she's lived in agony, and all I can see is his big, goofy, carefree grin on his real estate company web site, along with evidence he was able to complete his previously stated plan of earning a degree from Boston College.

And I have found NOTHING so far of him doing any sort of public service anti-drunk driving education, or contributing a penny of his real estate wealth to her astronomical medical expenses, or funding an extra officer for DUI patrol, or talking to local schools, etc., I want to bash his smirking face in. As in, literally I could not punch him hard enough to expel the rage.

It doesn't help that all of the articles say he was sentenced to the already ludicrous 2 1/2 years; nothing I've found indicates how much time he actually served. (can any of you find that, and if so, is it legal and ethical for you to either post it or PM me?)

If hitting a parked car with flashing red and blue strobing lights all across the top, at 90 mph doesn't rate aggravated (I know that's the wrong word) circumstances, I don't know what does. And his job involves, guess what? Driving around all day, often with clients in the car.

Rest in peace at last, Officer Engelhardt
            "Snort-laughter is the best medicine"
            ----- Mussel Bound

Don't forget to laugh today. The more implausible it seems, the more you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by MargeGunderson View Post
              I looked up all of these articles and more. One was headlined "Trooper still unable to walk 8 months after accident" which was heartbreaking on its own, then I read the coverage of the court case and she's there in her chair in the courtroom in her obviously vegetative state struggling to breathe and I have tears in my eyes.
              Here is that picture you were talking about. This absolutely breaks my heart to see her like that. It also enrages me to think that this POS drunk driver is out living the good life now. Absolutely disgusting. I hate the MA court system.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...ed_ex_trooper/
              -Harry Bosch

-Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by MargeGunderson View Post
                It doesn't help that all of the articles say he was sentenced to the already ludicrous 2 1/2 years; nothing I've found indicates how much time he actually served. (can any of you find that, and if so, is it legal and ethical for you to either post it or PM me?)
                I heard that he only served 12 mos of the 2 1/2 yr sentence. Don't quote me on that b/c it may not be right but that's what the word is.
                -Harry Bosch

-Ronald Reagan

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2647 users online. 148 members and 2499 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X