Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sgt. Paul Starzyck, Martinez (CA) P.D.

Martinez police sergeant, two others killed in shooting at hair salon

Bay Area News Group
    Article Launched: 09/06/2008 03:15:55 PM PDT

At least three people — including a Martinez police sergeant — were shot and killed today at a hair salon in Martinez in an apparent domestic dispute.
    The sergeant, whose name has not been released, was rushed to a hospital by helicopter.

Martinez Police Chief Tom Simonetti confirmed this afternoon that the officer died. Another man and a woman were killed in the shooting.

The shooting happened when the husband of the owner of Elegant Hair Designs at 3596 Pacheco Boulevard, identified by witnesses as Felix Sandoval, entered the business around 11:30 a.m. Brandishing a weapon, the man searched the premises for the owner and started shooting. At least one customer hid in a closet as others fled the building. The owner of the salon was not injured, according to witnesses.

More shots were then fired outside in the parking lot, when the suspect was confronted by one or more police officers.

"I heard two gunshots," said Kevin Almazan, a nearby resident. "People from the salon were outside screaming and crying. Police came in at 100 mph and popped their trunks with their rifles. Once the cops came, I heard more gunshots. They came out and grabbed an orange bag. One of the people from the salon said he (the gunman) was looking for his girlfriend."

He said police arrived less than five minutes after the initial gunshots.
    Police cordoned off Pacecho Boulevard for a block in each direction from Morello Avenue.

Sgt. Paul Starzyck
    Martinez PD
    EOW: September 6, 2008

At approximately 11:30 this morning, Martinez PD responded to a domestic dispute at a hair salon on Pacheco Blvd., in Martinez. The salon owner's estranged husband had entered the salon with a weapon looking for the woman. The suspect fired shots as he searched the salon.
    As responding officers arrived at the scene shots were exchanged with the suspect and Sergeant Paul Starzyck was struck. Sergeant Starzyck was flown to a local hospital where he succumbed to his wounds
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

R.I.P. sucks when they're ambushed.

Comment

I post on another LE forum and "know" a fellow poster over there who is a friend of a friend of Sgt Starzyck.

My condolences to the family friends and colleagues of the fallen.

What even sucks more is when they are ambushed and you know the officer who went down. See Sig Below.
      www.ldscops.com

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres PD.
      In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres PD.

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=17539

Comment

Though I have not spoken to either in several years I worked with Starzyk's wife who is also a LEO. They have 3 small children, the oldest is 6.

I have a link to memorial fund info if anyone is interested, PM me. I don't know if it is appropriate to post here.

RIP
        Last edited by kcr; 09-08-2008, 09:40 PM.

Comment

I read about this officer's death on Michaelsavage.com.
          Many lives were saved, thanks to his sacrifice.
          I believe there is a special place in Heaven for heroes such as he.
          Such a tragic death. My sympathy to his family and department...
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          In Memory of Staff Sgt. Matt Kimmell
          United States Army
          5th Special Forces Group
          Former Deputy Sheriff, Vanderburgh County
          Killed in Iraq October 11, 2005
          Sometimes I wonder, who you'd be today!!
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.tryfreemasonry.org

Real men wear aprons..

Comment

Why does every evil IDIOT that can't handle or accept life, get the self applied right to get a gun and ruin the lives of others? this animal should have done the "right thing" and did himself in- now he took the life of a protector , an innocent citizen,and traumatized others/I believe in heaven and hell- Sgt Starzyck is now up above,and POS Felix Sandoval is in the pit.......

http://www.cityofmartinez.org/depts/police/default.asp
            "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Update

An accounting of the incident froom the Chief of Police:

Sent: 9/7/2008 6:00:58 PM
              Subject: Sgt. Paul Starzyk-Martinez PD

I wanted to let you all know that I appreciate all of the calls &
              e-mails supporting both me & my Department during this difficult time.
              In particular the Office of the Sheriff, the California Highway Patrol,
              Pleasant Hill PD & Concord PD have all gone far & above anyone's
              expectations in rendering assistance to my employees & the citizens of
              Martinez.

I also wanted to take this opportunity to share with you the correct version of what occurred here on Saturday; as usual, preliminary information is rarely accurate.

MPD Dispatch received a 911 call @1135hrs of an ex-husband (HMA
              49yrs) who had arrived at his wife's place of employment on Pacheco Blvd
              near Morello Ave. Apparently as the HMA was exiting his vehicle, the
              ex-wife locked the front door due to his prior threats; additionally she
              had an active TRO against him.

As two (2) MPD officers were en-route, updated info was that the HMA had
              shattered the front window of the business & was displaying a handgun.
              Moments before the first officer arrived, the majority of the patrons
              fled out the back door into a parking lot; the ex-wife hid in a storage
              closet while the HMA followed the patrons into the rear parking lot.
              While in the parking lot, the HMA's teenaged daughter confronted him &
              pleaded with him to leave; the HMA told his daughter he intended to kill
              his ex-wife & the rest of his children.

The suspect then ran to an upstairs apartment adjacent to the parking
              lot as the first MPD unit (K9-1) arrived, two (2) minutes after the call
              was received. As that officer exited his vehicle with his MP-5, he
              immediately heard gunshots from the upstairs apartment. Sgt Starzyk
              arrived with 30 seconds of the first unit & deployed his AR-15 rifle,
              realizing that they had an active shooter situation. Sgt Starzyk & K9-1
              approached the upstairs apartment safely as there were no windows facing
              their approach; as they neared the apartment they encountered an "L"
              shaped intersection with two (2) facing apartment doors. At this time
              they heard small children & an adult female screaming from inside the
              apartment; as they got within ten (10) feet of the front door, the HMA
              extended his left arm out & around the front door & fired two (2) rounds
              from a .38 handgun, both of which struck Sgt Starzyk in the neck &
              shoulder areas above his vest. Both Sgt Starzyk & K9-1 engaged the HMA
              with .223 & .40 cal, after which Sgt Starzyk fell to the floor.

A second K9 unit (K9-2) arrived & as he attempted to remove Sgt
              Starzyk, the suspect again began firing from behind the partially closed
              front door. K9-1 again engaged the HMA, striking him multiple times
              through the door. At this point K9-2 sent his K9 into the apartment,
              locating the HMA inside the front door; the K9 bit the suspect & began
              dragging him out of the apartment. As K9-2 approached to view the HMA,
              he saw that the HMA was still armed and waving his handgun at the K9;
              K9-2 engaged the suspect with his handgun & ended the confrontation.

Inside the apartment three (3) small children were found hiding in a
              closet, along with a hysterical HFA; located in the kitchen was a
              deceased HFA & another WFA who was actually under the body of the HFA.
              The survivors were removed from the apartment while additional MPD &
              CCSO units arrived to assist Sgt Starzyk.

In closing, I wanted all of you to know that Sgt Starzyk's death is a
              tragedy but it was not in vain; five (5) people are alive today due his
              & his officer's actions. Please share this story with your respective
              departments.

Chief Tom J. Simonetti

Martinez Police Department
              525 Henrietta Street
              Martinez, CA
              94553-2394
              (925)372-3446
              (925)228-3753 FAX
              [email protected]
              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

True HERO!

R.I.P. Brother

Comment

R.I.P. Sarge

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3312 users online. 163 members and 3149 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X