Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louisiana Deputy

Lafourche deputy killed in Chackbay

Published: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 6:01 a.m.
    Last Modified: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 8:30 a.m.
    CHACKBAY – A 53-year-old Lafourche sheriff’s deputy died early this morning after she was run over by a car while investigating a burglary at a Chackbay convenience store.

Authorities say they have the man who killed her in custody, though his name has not been released.

Martha Woods Shareef, a 15-year veteran of the Sheriff’s Office, was dispatched to Nocko’s convenience store on La. 20 about 2:29 a.m. after an alarm went off at the store.

She confronted a suspect inside the building and dispatchers heard a loud scream over her mobile radio, according to a news release from the Sheriff’s Office.

A store employee’s voice came over the radio next, telling dispatchers Shareef had been injured and needed an ambulance. The deputy was later pronounced dead at Thibodaux Regional Medical Center.

The store employee gave authorities a “very good” description of the suspect’s vehicle and a manhunt ensued, with State Police, Lafourche deputies and Thibodaux Police all searching for the car.

The car was sighted and pursued until the car wrecked on La. 1 south of Thibodaux. The suspect swam across Bayou Lafourche and was spotted climbing up the opposite bank.

At 6:25 a.m., he was found hiding underneath a house on La. 308.

Shareef, who lived on School Street in Thibodaux, served as a patrol officer, school resource officer and a supervisor during her career with the Sheriff’s Office.

She was best known for her inspiring version of the Star Spangled Banner, which she sang at all graduations and formal functions of the Sheriff’s Office, according to the news release.

A press conference is scheduled for 3 p.m. today. Check back for updates.
    ‎"I'm angry. It's okay. I'll process my anger. I love myself. Whoosah.

Thougts and prayers from Gulfport PD. We know what you are going thru!
    Geaux Tigers

Comment

RIP Dy Shareef....Thougts and prayers coming from STPSO.
      sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

R.I.P. Sister..................

Comment

There aren't enough words to describe how good, loving, caring, dedicated, professional, and compassionate Martha was. When I found out it was Martha, my heart sank. I am still stunned. I don't work for that agency but I have always had the utmost respect for her. She was extremely involved in the community and never said no to working an event. She was one of those special kind of people who can make you feel good when you were having a bad day. I always looked forward to seeing her at different events. The world is worse off without her. If you knew her, you know what I am talking about. If you didn't know her, you missed out on one of the biggest rays of sunshine you could ever meet. Even as I'm typing this I can't believe I'm typing this about her. May she rest in peace.
          It's all fun and games 'till the cops show up!

Comment

Thoughts and prayers from H.C.S.D.
            We are losing too many good ones.

R.I.P. Deputy Shareef.
            "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4311 users online. 265 members and 4046 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X