Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The closest place to me that sponsors an academy is in a full-on 500k+, openly, proudly cop-hating city. There are other cities I'd rather work for under that social environment. So, need to figure out location still!
    In today's hiring climate, it's hard to imagine anywhere in the country that's so flush with wannabe-cops that every agency requires a POST (or equivalent) certification prior to application.

Make sure you talk to the hiring folks at several departments in your area (if you haven't done so already) to make sure you fully understand their hiring requirements. In my area, well over half of the people hired have no certification. Our department non-certified hirees to attend the academy (held at a local tech school) and the state reimburses us for their academy costs once the candidate successfully completes that initial training.

Don't let age deter you. I didn't make the shift to full-time cop until I was in my 50s.

Comment

In some states you can be hired and sworn with no training, actually working as an LEO, for one year before POST certification; scary and full of liability for sure.

It’s good for very small Depts. I guess, allowing them to actually gauge / FTO an LEO, before investing the money on an academy.

Comment

Originally posted by orangebottle View Post

In today's hiring climate, it's hard to imagine anywhere in the country that's so flush with wannabe-cops that every agency requires a POST (or equivalent) certification prior to application.

Make sure you talk to the hiring folks at several departments in your area (if you haven't done so already) to make sure you fully understand their hiring requirements. In my area, well over half of the people hired have no certification. Our department non-certified hirees to attend the academy (held at a local tech school) and the state reimburses us for their academy costs once the candidate successfully completes that initial training.

Don't let age deter you. I didn't make the shift to full-time cop until I was in my 50s.
        Haha, I like the way you phrased that.

Thank you for your tips!

Ours is more the problem of, we (SO) are so small and rural and the population is so against taxes, that they do not have the money to send wannabes to the academy. From what I understand, last two times we voted for those taxes it was a hard no. It is a desirable area to live and work in (and work is scarce!), so I guess it hasn't been a problem? I have more asking around to do.

The next town over, also very small, but triple our population, is an even more desirable place to live and work, and the PD there doesn't pay for the academy either! It's nuts.

Both places have Reserve Officers/Deputies that are sworn and POST certified and do it for free! Out of a non-transferrable reserve academy!

Per yours and others' advice I am expanding my local search and have been finding some real (apparent) gems that do some of what you're talking about, if not outright bring you in and put you on a trainee/academy salary.

Comes back to figuring out location.

Thanks again!

Comment

I would say, "You have done your share, why not get a REAL job, or just relax?!", but I started out young, comfortably retired at a great age, now am old, and have a Canadian sense of humour, so I just like to type!

Best wishes to you regarding whatever you choose to do with yourself.
          #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
          Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
          RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
          Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
          "Smile" - no!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4799 users online. 287 members and 4512 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X