Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from GA

Hello all,

I'm excited to finally have been activated.

I am currently in the hiring process at two departments here in GA. One department is a small town department with few officers and little crime and low pay. The other is somewhat larger with the things that come with a larger city, more crime and more goodies (IE taser, laptops and $$$). The smaller department is in my hometown and the chief was my father's FTO thirty years ago.

So, I have a little quandary as to which department I want to work at because one has offered conditional employment and the other's offer will come as soon as I pass their Poly.

That is a little background about me; I'm just glad to be apart of O.com now.

Take care y'all,

southga

Originally posted by southga View Post
    Hello all,

I'm excited to finally have been activated.

I am currently in the hiring process at two departments here in GA. One department is a small town department with few officers and little crime and low pay. The other is somewhat larger with the things that come with a larger city, more crime and more goodies (IE taser, laptops and $$$). The smaller department is in my hometown and the chief was my father's FTO thirty years ago.

So, I have a little quandary as to which department I want to work at because one has offered conditional employment and the other's offer will come as soon as I pass their Poly.

That is a little background about me; I'm just glad to be apart of O.com now.

Take care y'all,

southga
    Oh dude! What to do. I am a new member but merely a private citizen, yet was born in Los Angeles and raised in Hollywood. I've seen the worst of large cities. My family and I moved to GA in 1978 and I have been living in the southeast ever since. I love it! Hollywood always portrays the South in such a bad light. Anyway, I now live in Ellijay, Ga which is a small town in north Georgia.

But let me tell you about the local police departments here. First, there is Ellijay and East Ellijay, separated by the small river running through the middle of town. I have no idea about the original feud which created the separate townships, but the two police departments do work very well together. East Ellijay has a city police department whereas Ellijay relies on the Gilmer County Sheriff's Department for its police work in addition to the entire county. Both work together very well and work with the North GA Drug Task Force or whatever it is called. Its pretty neat to see the chiefs, GBI and NGADTF all sitting around the table together for photos in the local paper. They are really trying to work extremely well together to curb the current drug epidemic around here.

So, as a citizen of this small community for over five years, I have met many of the local LEOs and have noted how well they interact with the local community. They all are a great bunch of people and I would guess they are also a very tightly knit group of LEOs as well.

Lord, living in a small and peaceful town really is a paradise compared to living in Atlanta or Los Angeles. Me, I am self employed. I design and build robotic telescopes for colleges and universities. I love my work because it is what I have a passion for and it is what I want to do. Sure, there are other jobs which I am qualified for which would pay more, yet I go with what is the most emotionally rewarding to me. Hint, hint?

I guess your situation boils down to:

--How much do you love your community which you grew up in? Do you want to help it grow? If so, be involved not just by being a LEO but also by participating in city council meetings and in the local chamber of commerce in order to inject your ideas about how to help your community to grow. My brother does this in the town where he now lives.

--If you are itching for much more excitement and pay than what your hometown's police services regularly experiences, then I guess you will have to look elsewhere as in your job number 2.

Anyway, I am not quite sure what I am trying to say except that I now love the small town where I live. I actually enjoy watching the local LEOs direct traffic when school lets out and always wave to them. Regardless, I always wave to them when passing them on the road and they always wave back at me. It is a lot like the Andy Griffith Show except that this is the actual real world here in Ellijay, GA.

And yet the local police departments have grown significantly over the last few years due to revenue from DUIs and drug busts. This has translated into higher salaries, new hires, and brand spanking new patrol cars which were sorely needed. On the other hand all of the LEOs (including the newly hired ones) are simply the best because they really care about the community. They all will go out of their way for a law abiding citizen in a heartbeat.

I guess that I am hoping is that you choose to serve your local hometown at least for a while since, from what I have seen, it is the dedication of our local LEOs which helps to make my adopted home town a really neat place to live. You did decide to become a LEO because you want to make a difference, didn't you?

Just a citizen's two cents worth, for what its worth,

--Michael

Comment

Welcome to the site

Comment

I'm from N. GA, like Mem Tek. I don't know which cities you are applying for, but if you're young and like a lot of action, go with the bigger city. If you're old and laid back go with the smaller city.

I'm from Oconee County, where we have a relatively small force, but are very well equipped and very well Sheriffed. We have TASERs, patrol rifles, shotguns, and just about all the stuff except computers for cars, and we're slowly getting them.

Luckily, my county is well off, and can afford it. We just finished a new jail, and right now, all is peachy. Pay is not nearly what it is in nearby Athens, but crime is VERY low and the people are a pleasure to deal with.
        "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

Hello from Indiana and welcome to the forum.
          Get Local Coupons
          Fried Wires Internet Marketing Blog - My personal blog for reviewing internet marketing products.

Comment

I appreciate all of the replies guys. I accepted a job with my Hometown Department today. I've still got to take my psychological next Monday but, I'm Hired! I start July 1 and will go to the first available academy which could unfortunately be a while, like up to six months. At least I will still be able to work and ride with my FTO until then.

Comment

Welcome southga! If you know to many people in your hometown it can be an advantage or a disadvantage think of which you want it to be.
              LET IT RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hi and welcome. good luck

Comment

Hello from England.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4226 users online. 257 members and 3969 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X