Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello From The Pacific Northwest

Hello everyone,

I've been thinking for a couple years about making the change to law enforcement. I've been an assistant DA now for a few years, and one of my favorite parts of the job is working with officers in trial and during investigations. I'm really dismayed with how society is treating law enforcement, and it makes me want to become an officer. I feel more drawn to it than ever, and I know it's not a great time to be in law enforcement. I've applied for probation jobs, city police positions, and sheriff deputy spots, but haven't heard back yet. I'm scheduled to take the NTN and PAT next month. Any advice would be appreciated. I don't have any prior law enforcement experience but I am hoping that my prosecutor experience will make me competitive. Thanks.

I am also in the Pacific Northwest. This is a second career for me, and I also had no law enforcement experience when I started. I do know someone who went from being a prosecutor to a police officer though. Feel free to reach out with any questions.
    "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

PNW here as well. Private sector fraud investigator looking to move over to federal law enforcement.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
        Winter_Patriot commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice. Are you trying to stay in the area, or open to relocating? I've seen very few vacancies with locations in the pacific northwest so far. I realized I would probably need to be open-minded about location, and the exact type of federal law enforcement job (uniformed/1801/1802/BoP/etc.). I ended up applying for federal positions all over the country. I only really got traction in the midwest, south, and DC. I have a tentative offer for a US Probation Officer position now.

• DM206
        DM206 commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely open to relocation. There's not much specifically here in the NW, that would be open to the public, it seems. The recent FAMS posting had a spot in Renton, WA...I've been told that there's an Education OIG posting coming up with a spot in Sacramento. But I'm happy to consider mobility agreements...the uncertainty is stressful but it can also be part of the opportunity.

• Winter_Patriot
        Winter_Patriot commented
        Editing a comment
        It's been a long process for me. I've been looking for about two years. I applied to a few announcements with Seattle area openings -- DEA diversion investigator, USSS background investigator, and BoP correctional officer at the SeaTac FDC. I did testing for the DEA position and had an interview invite with the BOP. The BOP position was the only 6c covered job of the three. Not really a lot of options here for people who aren't already federal employees. I occasionally see 1811 openings but they're always for current 1811s or competitive service employees. I was told that HSI does direct hiring, and I left a message but never heard back. I applied for the DOE OIG job last time around, but they canceled the announcement.

I'd probably be waiting years if I looked at western Washington, unfortunately. Eventually I decided that getting a covered federal position was more important to me than the location. I had the most success with federal probation. If you're open to that, it may be a good way to get your foot in the door, especially if age is an issue. I'm 34 now and have been keeping an eye on the clock. From my application date to my probation start date will only be about 3.5 to 4 months. I always see openings. BoP can also hire very quickly, within a few weeks to few months I've heard.
        Last edited by Winter_Patriot; 11-10-2020, 01:01 AM.

• DM206
        DM206 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good luck with the probation gig. We'll see where I land...I've got a few applications out there. Worst case, my current job isn't LE but it's interesting work and it pays well.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3942 users online. 239 members and 3703 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X