300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgia sounding off here.

I'm new to the board, and though I should introduce myself.

My name is Gene Langston, I'm Chief Deputy of Oconee County, Georgia, and have been for about 12 years now. We're a full service Sheriff's Office, being the leading LE agency in the county. The city of Watkinsville has a small force, but other than that, we're it.

We have about 40 Deputies, including those who work the Court system, serve papers and warrants, etc. We have about 100 employees, including jail and dispatchers.

My county is very safe, and has been voted two years in a row as one of the "Best Counties to Live" by Progressive Farmer magazine, which keeps tabs of non-urban counties. We have a relatively low crime rate, a very highly educated population (we're close to the University of Georgia and a lot of their personnel live here). It's an expensive county to live in for Georgia, and a prosperous one.

I've been in LE in on form or another since 1972, with an 8 year hiatus.

I'm glad to be part of this board. There are a few other boards I visit, mostly to do with shooting and guns, and find a startling amount of anti-Police bias. Some of it is ridiculous. Recently, one poster started a thread that ran something like "20 year old naked boy executed by Police." The kid was TASED, probably junked up, and died, and there sure was a lot of venom there from people who didn't know the first thing about the case. I got myself off that thread quickly.

There is a lot of objections to the TASER, the main one being it makes getting "compliance too easy." And a complete misunderstanding of LEOs and what they should do in such a situation, where you've obviously got a mental case. Most felt the deputies should wrestle him to the ground, but my take is anyone who wrestles with a naked 21 year old boy is asking for AIDS.

Anyway, glad to be here.
    "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Welcome to the Forum Chief. I haven't been here very long myself, but I've been really impressed by the diversity of opinions, experience and backgrounds of those participating. It's good to find a chief who still likes to mingle with the troops, as well as management and non-LE!
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Welcome to the site from the great state of NC

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3201 users online. 169 members and 3032 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X