300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYSP academy

Hi All! Any NYSP here? Currently waiting for the academy to start. Just curious on some fitness tips.

Much better...

Comment

Originally posted by Tiffy_tiff View Post
      Hi All! Any NYSP here? Currently waiting for the academy to start. Just curious on some fitness tips.
      Run...

Comment

The NYSP fitness standards are listed on their web site, based upon age and gender, citing the 50th percentile and 70th percentile from the Cooper Institute charts.

For a 31 year old female, you would be required to do 32 situps in one minute, 18 pushups in one minute, and run 1.5 miles in 13:23.

What are your current performance abilities for correct pushups, correct situps, and the 1.5 mile run?

Keep in mind that the numbers listed are the absolute bare minimum required to keep from getting fired- they are the equivalent to scoring a D-minus on a test. Your actual goals should be MUCH higher. I scored off the charts, above the 99th percentile, and several of my classmates performed higher than I did.
        Last edited by Aidokea; 02-09-2020, 03:31 AM.

Comment

• Tiffy_tiff
          Tiffy_tiff commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for your response.

I passed the PT exam, completed my sit ups/pushups and my run time was 13.21 for my age the passing time is 14:34. (Not so bad but I need to improve)

I can currently do 20 correct push up, sit ups are my easiest performance (thankfully) but my run I’m only up to a steady 3 mi I need to get my speed up but I was told we run for “hours” straight in the academy that is why I’m working in my distance more then speed at the moments

I passed all the steps in the processing, medical, interview, polly ect. Now I’m waiting for the academy to start. Any recommendations/fitness tips/ or advice?

Side Nite: I do HIIT classes 3/5 days a week and two runs a week adding 5 minutes to run.

Thank you in advance.

I'm glad you passed the 50% percentile entry test, but as I understand it, you're gonna have to pass the 70% percentile (the numbers I quoted) by graduation day, just to keep from getting fired outright.

And again, keep in mind that these numbers represent the equivalent of a D-minus on a test, and they're looking for "A" students.

You're off to a good start with running 3 miles a day, but you are SLOW. This is important, because you will be running as a class, and the rest of the class will be punished with painful PT exercises until the slowest runner catches up, and academy is a team environment- you will need the rest of your class to be on your side in order to make it. They're not gonna be on your side if you are the cause of them being subjected to that. So you need to work HARD on your cardiovascular conditioning- I don't know anyone who has ever graduated by running at your current pace.

Comment

...and the same thing is true of the pushups and situps. I did 82 correct situps and 100 correct pushups, and I there were other students that did more than me. You've got a LOT of hard work ahead of you...
          Last edited by Aidokea; 02-09-2020, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• Tiffy_tiff
            Tiffy_tiff commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m 100% going to work harder from you’re telling me . I’m also going to buy a heavier weight vest. I wear mine every day when I work out but it’s only 40LBS.

Thank you!

• Aidokea
            Aidokea commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know about using a weight vest. One of the most common problems we saw, was knee problems, and those carrying any excess weight (overweight) were the first to have knee problems. Your knees were designed to carry a particular amount of weight, so I'd lose the weight vest.

I'd also recommend having your stride properly analyzed by a competent running shoe store (they film you running on a treadmill, and then play it back in slow-motion) and get yourself proper running shoes based upon your stride analysis.

In addition to getting the right shoes, you can also run on a rubberized track instead of pounding the pavement- it's much easier on your knees.

Comment

• Tiffy_tiff
            Tiffy_tiff commented
            Editing a comment
            I greatly appreciate all the tips and advice. I’m going to search for a place to get the proper running shoe. Thanks!

• Aidokea
            Aidokea commented
            Editing a comment
            Please let me know how that goes, with the stride analysis and the shoe selection.

Every academy is a little different, but you can count on doing a lot of running, and attrition during academy can be huge- our academy started with 22, and graduated with 6. Once the initially weeding-out process removed those unsuitable for law enforcement, I would say that physical injuries caused more attrition than anything else, and of the physical injuries, I would say that knee problems were the number-1 cause. Again, you're probably going to be running a lot.

Did you get shoes yet? I'd hate to see you develop knee problems as you ramp up your training...

Comment

• Tiffy_tiff
            Tiffy_tiff commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there !

I made an appointment which is next Saturday. There is only one highly recommended place here in city it’s call Jack Rabbit...

• Aidokea
            Aidokea commented
            Editing a comment
            Excellent. Looking forward to hearing back from you after you get your new running shoes.

BTW, save your running shoes for running- don't use them for casual street attire until AFTER they've been retired from being your running shoes.

• Aidokea
            Aidokea commented
            Editing a comment
            So show me your new shoes...

Are you doing Crossfit? I know that a lot of people are big fans of it, but the risk of injury appears to be MUCH greater when doing Crossfit, and you can't afford that- you may only get one shot at this.

Comment

• Tiffy_tiff
            Tiffy_tiff commented
            Editing a comment
            I don’t do cross fit for that exact reason. I heard to same about the Injuries. I do HIIT. Do you recommend I look into something else?

• Aidokea
            Aidokea commented
            Editing a comment
            Excellent.

I can help with some basic things based on my experience, but I think there are probably other people here that could advise you better than me.

There was a very smart young female officer that I worked with, that was a big fan of HIIT, and she had some very specific articulable reasons for her feelings on this. She had some very specific education (a college degree) in this area.
            Last edited by Aidokea; 02-14-2020, 09:20 PM.

Whats your rank? 49xx here for NYSP. Second medical March 7.

Comment

Yes! Passed everything, and now just waiting for the start of academy. I’ve been running distance, doing sprints, and doing hiit. I’m also strength training. Have you heard how academy is? I want to know what to expect in there, I’ll most likely start academy this coming October, and honestly I’m scared about the cold lol

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10080 users online. 313 members and 9767 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X