300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from North Florida. :)

Hello everyone, Im not new to reading the forums, but just now getting to post to them-

I work as a part time dispatcher for a small town (30,000pop) PD- and graduated from my BLE academy back in August of 2006.

My current goals are to keep in the part time position, go to college for the next year (on a $2,500 grant), and to reserve work somewhere {ive started an app for reserve officer with Florida Fish and Wildlife}. See how this combination goes for me (things I plan rarely go as planned though).

Ive put in several applications- 80% of them droped me after the first interview- and I think, or rather I know its because I dont have previous experiance NOR do I have a military background- I think those two things hurt me a BUNCH- my only way to help counteract those is to finish my spanish I, II, and III classes come this next year at the college- and have a boost there over some people- I think it would help anyhow.

Im a PADI certified diver, love the outdoors, and swimming, on the computer a bunch. And for once in my life, (doing dispatch) I feel happy with the work Im doing- its not being an officer on the streets yet- but Im most of the way to that goal- and at least im in the enviroment I want to be in now. Its not wally-world or fry-shoveling. and my city is part of the FRS. So I get an early start on that before Im even an officer.

I hope to post on here alot more- I visit officer.com at least twice a day, its too helpful for me between my emails, the forums, and the 'help wanted' sections.

Hope to talk to all of you more! - Jarod
    Updated on: 12/28/09

Good to meet you. Good luck on your job search. You mentioned Spanish classes being the way in. I was wondering what type of degree You are working toward?
    Reality is only a perception

Comment

right now, an AA degree- and Ill take general classes as electives (crazy eh?)

Spanish (9 credit hours), chemistry, physics, trig, precalc, calc1, a second speaking class, technical writing.. I'm considering all these as my electives for my AA. I got 21 credits down- thing is until this grant came about this year, Ive never had a golden opportunity for college- paying for it piece by piece over the past 5 years. working around full time work. but now that I got a job that pays me enough per hour that I can keep it part time, and the grant- I'm excited at the opportunity.
      Updated on: 12/28/09

Comment

Welcome to the site

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5016 users online. 339 members and 4677 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X