Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New USMS Prospect

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New USMS Prospect

    Hello from Alpine, TX.

    I have been considering law enforcement for several years now, and I finally set my sights on becoming a US Marshal Deputy.

    I served in the Marine Corps from 2005 to 2009. I finished my Bachelors of Science in 2016. And I am about to start on a Masters of Criminal Justice.

    I have no law enforcement background and I have been working in the Ag industry since I left the Marines. After talking to a US Marshal friend of mine (who is also the recruiter for the Alpine, TX area) I have decided to start on my Masters, keep improving my fitness and wait on a job posting to hit.

    Any advice or guidance is appreciated as I mark time until my chance to apply comes around. This is a great forum filled with a lot of information. Thanks to all of you that take the time to contribute.

  • #2
    Advice (I applied for USMS this year).

    The hiring process for them is all over the place, if you do apply act like you never applied.

    Comment


    • #3
      That’s what I’ve heard. It seems some of the process is kept a mystery.

      I’m waiting to apply for Region 7, hoping to get a spot in Alpine if possible.

      Comment


      • #4
        Study something besides CRJ. Make yourself more marketable

        Keep a tab on USAjobs and don't put all your eggs in one basket

        Comment


        • #5
          Marketable to the federal law enforcement community in general? Or the USMS?

          With my lack of experience/knowledge in law enforcement and the justice system, I thought a MCJ would give me a small foundation of knowledge in a career field I am pursuing.

          I have considered the Masters of Business Administration program as well and was told that would also be marketable. That would definitely supplement my private sector endeavors should I not succeed in getting into the Marshals.

          As for the private sector, I have a Bachelors in Science, I hold a license from the Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners and I am about to complete my rotary wing private license. I have been successful in my private sector (agriculture industry) endeavors the last decade, but do not feel fulfilled. If I don’t succeed in attaining a Federal 1811 job, I have a foundation in place that I can go back to. My point here is I am marketable in the private sector career field I enjoy, but not for any 1811 job (other than having 4 years in the Marines and a Bachelors.)

          With that said, do you think a MCJ makes sense at this point? I’m 32 so I have 4 1/2 years to get on in an 1811 capacity.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ShortRound87 View Post
            Marketable to the federal law enforcement community in general? Or the USMS?

            With my lack of experience/knowledge in law enforcement and the justice system, I thought a MCJ would give me a small foundation of knowledge in a career field I am pursuing.

            I have considered the Masters of Business Administration program as well and was told that would also be marketable. That would definitely supplement my private sector endeavors should I not succeed in getting into the Marshals.

            As for the private sector, I have a Bachelors in Science, I hold a license from the Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners and I am about to complete my rotary wing private license. I have been successful in my private sector (agriculture industry) endeavors the last decade, but do not feel fulfilled. If I don’t succeed in attaining a Federal 1811 job, I have a foundation in place that I can go back to. My point here is I am marketable in the private sector career field I enjoy, but not for any 1811 job (other than having 4 years in the Marines and a Bachelors.)

            With that said, do you think a MCJ makes sense at this point? I’m 32 so I have 4 1/2 years to get on in an 1811 capacity.
            Study something that YOU excel in. There are people on here who will tell you to major in Accounting, Finance, or something technical. I respectfully disagree with that advice, because if you don't study something you enjoy your education experience /GPA will be miserable. Since you're a veteran the 37 cut off is waived for your situation. Apply for other 1811 jobs you see on USA jobs in case USMS doesn't come through. Just going by my experience with USMS, I interviewed in July and haven't heard a peep since then. Best thing in your situation to do would be to apply/get another Fed job, and apply to USMS as a secondary course of action. Im not sure when they are supposed to be opening hiring again, but there's a good chance they'll just continue with Schedule B instead of USA jobs.
            Last edited by Levithane; 11-23-2019, 05:51 PM. Reason: Grammar

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Levithane View Post

              Study something that YOU excel in. There are people on here who will tell you to major in Accounting, Finance, or something technical. I respectfully disagree with that advice, because if you don't study something you enjoy your education experience /GPA will be miserable. Since you're a veteran the 37 cut off is waived for your situation. Apply for other 1811 jobs you see on USA jobs in case USMS doesn't come through. Just going by my experience with USMS, I interviewed in July and haven't heard a peep since then. Best thing in your situation to do would be to apply/get another Fed job, and apply to USMS as a secondary course of action. Im not sure when they are supposed to be opening hiring again, but there's a good chance they'll just continue with Schedule B instead of USA jobs.
              Great advice. Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

              Comment


              • #8
                My bachelors degree is in Criminal Justice and I have zero regrets. I loved my classes and love this line of work. I will say don’t wait until your masters degree is finished to apply. Apply for the next job posting. The process will take a while. You should already qualify based on your military experience and bachelors degree.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Michael Scarn View Post
                  My bachelors degree is in Criminal Justice and I have zero regrets. I loved my classes and love this line of work. I will say don’t wait until your masters degree is finished to apply. Apply for the next job posting. The process will take a while. You should already qualify based on your military experience and bachelors degree.
                  Agreed. I am very excited to start my CJ graduate degree. Law enforcement in general has always interested me.

                  I will definitely apply the first chance I get. I had my resume done by a professional who deals with federal LEO prospects and let me tell you, that was money well spent. I intend to intern with the local Marshal office during my Masters as well.

                  I understand it takes a long time to get through the hiring process if selected. Thanks for the advice.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    ShortRound87 work through your local recruiter in Alpine. They can give you the best guidance on future hirings and ways to make yourself more marketable.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ShortRound87 View Post

                      Agreed. I am very excited to start my CJ graduate degree. Law enforcement in general has always interested me.

                      I will definitely apply the first chance I get. I had my resume done by a professional who deals with federal LEO prospects and let me tell you, that was money well spent. I intend to intern with the local Marshal office during my Masters as well.

                      I understand it takes a long time to get through the hiring process if selected. Thanks for the advice.
                      Change your major. CRJ degrees are worthless

                      Comment


                      • Levithane
                        Levithane commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Its ultimately up to him. A Master's degree is just something that just gets checked off the list in an application.

                    MR300x250 Tablet

                    Collapse

                    What's Going On

                    Collapse

                    There are currently 12314 users online. 440 members and 11874 guests.

                    Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                    Welcome Ad

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X