300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here (indiana/NC)

Hello.. I found this site while researching academys and such. I am in Indiana now, moving to North Carolina. I am basically in pre-training. Im doing my personal training before I try to go to training. Want to get myself in shape and able to meet all the standards. So Ive had to research the requirements. I havent seen many women on here, but thats ok. Looking forward to meeting people and learning more, hearing about where others are at in the process and beyond.

Welcome to the site dory. There are some female LE here. I remember before I went to Air force I went nuts body building, areobics, etc. It made it so easy to get through basic. I know for all the other branches of service it was easy! But I know I could have went through the core training easily enough too. Many moons later I work as a CBP Officer. I like the job. Good luck on your career search.
    Reality is only a perception

Comment

Welcome to the forums, I myself am from IL and now living and working in Charlotte,NC

Comment

Ty

Thanks for the welcome. yeah Im going crazy right now with going to the gym, strength training, running, the whole deal. I have a ways to go but Im willing to do whatever it takes.. and thats what it takes. Good for you making through the air force training.. Im sure that was the test of a lifetime. The cool thing about that, is surpassing what pushes you the most!

Originally posted by GGw/edge View Post
        Welcome to the site dory. There are some female LE here. I remember before I went to Air force I went nuts body building, areobics, etc. It made it so easy to get through basic. I know for all the other branches of service it was easy! But I know I could have went through the core training easily enough too. Many moons later I work as a CBP Officer. I like the job. Good luck on your career search.

Comment

Nc

really? thats pretty cool!! We are moving to Fort Bragg, NC because my husband is in the Army... so that states standards are what I am going by. We will be there within a month. I heard the police corps academy is one of the best. Where did you go for training? And what do you think of NC?

Originally posted by FortDrumPolice View Post
          Welcome to the forums, I myself am from IL and now living and working in Charlotte,NC

Comment

I was a military police officer stationed up at Fort Drum,NY I am going thru training right now with the CMPD here in Charlotte, NC I have been to Fort Bragg and that is where I will be drilling at Bragg so once a month I make the 2 1/2 hour drive.

Comment

Fort Bragg

hey thats cool.. is that for a day or weekend or longer or what? good drive to get there. We may run into ya sometime there then! I cant wait to get there, I hate getting ready to move, ready for it now. My husband, joey, wanted to be an MP but he is a bit undecided I think.. right now he is going for Airborne Ranger.

I was a military police officer stationed up at Fort Drum,NY I am going thru training right now with the CMPD here in Charlotte, NC I have been to Fort Bragg and that is where I will be drilling at Bragg so once a month I make the 2 1/2 hour drive.

Comment

Which ever he picks is good, for me I dont want to jump out of airplanes I will ride them but that is about as far as I go. Bragg is really big but it is different than Drum up at Drum they are building alot because of all the people that are coming there. Tell him to stay safe and good luck

Comment

ty

Thank you.. I will tell him you said that and I know he'd appreciate it! So drum isnt all that big? Ive heard that bragg is big and perfect for families... so we'll see. I agree with you, I dont think I could jump out of a plane at all. But its what he is doing now down at Ft. Benning, he enjoys it.

Which ever he picks is good, for me I dont want to jump out of airplanes I will ride them but that is about as far as I go. Bragg is really big but it is different than Drum up at Drum they are building alot because of all the people that are coming there. Tell him to stay safe and good luck

Comment

Originally posted by dory View Post
                    Thanks for the welcome. yeah Im going crazy right now with going to the gym, strength training, running, the whole deal. I have a ways to go but Im willing to do whatever it takes.. and thats what it takes. Good for you making through the air force training.. Im sure that was the test of a lifetime. The cool thing about that, is surpassing what pushes you the most!
                    Actually dory the Air force was like a walk in the park. When I joined there was a lot of Commercial military recruitment movies (Top Gun etc) and Ayatollah Khomeini (spelling whatever) stuff. I was young, invincible and in peak condition. In tech school the guys used to comment I had a "hard body" cause of my body building. When I left the Air force cause I was given a surprise in my belly (I couldn’t in my head reconcile being 100% Airman and 100% mom). Figuring 6 years service some college and I was full of awards I should be able to find a civilian job easily. Didn’t work that way. I had to go finish my degree and felt extremely fortunate to get back in federal after trying to work in corporate America (yuck). I found the INS academy more stressful. I now was a mom and felt more pressure to provide for my family. My job initially took me to Canada and was a real sweet deal. I knew if I didn’t make it through the academy that my family and I would have to move back to the hood. I was older. The physical didn’t bother me but the mental did. The thought of losing the opportunity. The book work was intense. There was so much law to learn and memorize. After tests you would go on break return and see people with notes on their desks to see the chief. They were done just like that. Plus 4 months away from my 6 year old was hard. In part of the training we were shown very graphic films. I was fine until they showed one of a small boy that was dead. All intact, looked like he was sleeping. That one brought water to my eyes. Ahead of that students were leaving class passing out looking at the brains etc. I think we all have thresholds male or female and they are different for each.

Comment

images

well at least the physical part was easy... Im the opposite Im worried about that but not the other.. I went to college for psych and social work and was shown everything imaginable.. plus what Ive seen at other jobs. Its really sad I think when you get to the point that things like that dont disturb you as much, you just look and do what needs to be done without blinking. It seems so cold.. but I guess its a necessity.
                      Any physical advice you have? I am lucky in one way, that being 30 makes your expectations lower on what they expect with push ups and sit ups and the timed run. I just hope age isnt a factor in any other way!
                      Yeah I have 3 kids, but they are older, 14,10,8.. that I will have to leave for 6 months with where I want to go. But it will only be a couple hours away from where we will be stationed. But because of the kids, I have to wait for my husband to get back form deployment, which will be hard because he will b e gone so long then I will be gone. But I am looking forward to the intense challenge of the police corp.

Originally posted by GGw/edge View Post
                      Actually dory the Air force was like a walk in the park. When I joined there was a lot of Commercial military recruitment movies (Top Gun etc) and Ayatollah Khomeini (spelling whatever) stuff. I was young, invincible and in peak condition. In tech school the guys used to comment I had a "hard body" cause of my body building. When I left the Air force cause I was given a surprise in my belly (I couldn’t in my head reconcile being 100% Airman and 100% mom). Figuring 6 years service some college and I was full of awards I should be able to find a civilian job easily. Didn’t work that way. I had to go finish my degree and felt extremely fortunate to get back in federal after trying to work in corporate America (yuck). I found the INS academy more stressful. I now was a mom and felt more pressure to provide for my family. My job initially took me to Canada and was a real sweet deal. I knew if I didn’t make it through the academy that my family and I would have to move back to the hood. I was older. The physical didn’t bother me but the mental did. The thought of losing the opportunity. The book work was intense. There was so much law to learn and memorize. After tests you would go on break return and see people with notes on their desks to see the chief. They were done just like that. Plus 4 months away from my 6 year old was hard. In part of the training we were shown very graphic films. I was fine until they showed one of a small boy that was dead. All intact, looked like he was sleeping. That one brought water to my eyes. Ahead of that students were leaving class passing out looking at the brains etc. I think we all have thresholds male or female and they are different for each.

Comment

Originally posted by dory View Post
                        well at least the physical part was easy... Im the opposite Im worried about that but not the other.. I went to college for psych and social work and was shown everything imaginable.. plus what Ive seen at other jobs. Its really sad I think when you get to the point that things like that dont disturb you as much, you just look and do what needs to be done without blinking. It seems so cold.. but I guess its a necessity.
                        Any physical advice you have? I am lucky in one way, that being 30 makes your expectations lower on what they expect with push ups and sit ups and the timed run. I just hope age isnt a factor in any other way!
                        Yeah I have 3 kids, but they are older, 14,10,8.. that I will have to leave for 6 months with where I want to go. But it will only be a couple hours away from where we will be stationed. But because of the kids, I have to wait for my husband to get back form deployment, which will be hard because he will b e gone so long then I will be gone. But I am looking forward to the intense challenge of the police corp.
                        Dory I think that being able to see and still be able to do what needs to be done makes us eligible to do this kinda work for a living. As for physical advice. Before i went to the AF I did areobics 30 mins everyday and went to the gym and circuit trained 3x's a week at least 1 1/2 hrs each time. I also played soccer on a team. That proved to be way over kill. I was approx 30 when I started with INS the physical part was rather light. I was still playing soccer on a team, arobics, and lots of speed walking. Last year I went to a course that had a physical component at 41 it was a little tougher. So I know some advice. Good sneakers , broken in first, Moleskin just in case, thermacare heat wraps are your freind(unless its a new injury then you need ice). Drink lots of water before you get there so you are well lubed inside. If you do red man and you are holding the asp pad for a guy who is built like a mack truck and they are going 80% DONOT brace your foot against the brick wall(Its better to fall on the matt!!). Start stretching every muscle you can isolate now before you go. Do not volunteer when they need a volunteer for pressure point demonstrations. I found at the last training age isnt a factor (at least not yet) some of these kids really are pathetic. Ohh yeah I dont know if you ever wore a gear belt. In the beginning it does effect your balance some. Well at least mine took some getting used too. I also beleive it is beneficial to play hard in training. You dont want the first time you feel pain to be when your in the real deal. Last training I was covered with black and blue. But dont play so hard you get knocked out of the training due to an injury. I am so happy for You. Just stretch and start excercising now. Can you get a copy of the acadamies physical requirements now? If so get on it and start working on the ones you cant meet yet.

Comment

Welcome to the forum and to your future home in NC. My PD is in Southeastern NC. Love it at the College level. Not quite to hectic as on the roads but then again I'm not 20 anymore LOL. I went to BLET(Basic Law Enforcement Trainng) at night (worked during the day). The course is 624 Hrs. For night school that translates into 7 months.

Good Luck with a well wishes
                          If you can't be honest with yourself who can you be honest with.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4466 users online. 269 members and 4197 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X