300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fto

I’m currently in phase2 of fto but I’m struggling driving , radio & decision making. As for decision making I start doubting myself and don’t go after car because I feel I’ll be wrong and get dinged for it.. Fto training is almost over but I feel it’s too late to improve. My file has been sent to bosses to decide if I’m let go or continue fto I’d have to say this has been one of the most stressful times I’ve experienced because everything is critically looked at. If I’d ask my fto a question about something he’d mark me down as not knowing it for asking a question didn’t think that was fair but ..they criticized my driving but I have not crashed and I was allowed to drive in blinding rain and had no issues. Also I drive 100 miles to & from work and I’ve made it in one piece.If I’m such a liability why let me drive , not surprisingly I “failed” my latest driver evaluation. I may be wrong but feels to me like they are building their “case” to dismiss me. I have been in fto for about 35 days
    Last edited by leo1112; 01-30-2019, 10:58 PM.

You are second guessing yourself. You need to be assertive and self-confident, or you won't last long.
    Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
    USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
    "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
    Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

You seem pretty clear on the direction things are headed....

Sucks to have invested to all that time and energy into testing, going through all the hiring steps, leaving another job, spending months in the academy and family and friends come to see graduation, only to have it 'not work out'. It's a big club though- 30% of new hires don't make it to the one year mark.

So what's next? The sit down where they allow you to resign?

There's a bunch of cliches that apply: somethings just aren't meant to be... it is what it is.... nothing ventured, nothing gained.... such is life.....

The most appropriate one? "There's a lid for every pot."

The world is full of lawyers who failed out of medical school, carpenters who first tried to be plumbers, teachers who wanted to be authors, etc.

Hang in there.

One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

Breathe. In and out. Be assertive and confident. You don't have to be right, you have to be reasonable. If you end up being wrong and they had a front plate, thank them for their cooperation and let them go.

​​Geography wise, drive the area on your off hours. Buy a map and study it.

Comment

• themoj0
          themoj0 commented
          Editing a comment
          THIS RIGHT HERE. When I was Oho Hwy Patrol, I had 3 counties I had to know..and about 25 different court jurisdictions. I did this very thing. And it helped TRMENDOUSLY.

Originally posted by leo1112 View Post
        I’m currently in phase2 of fto but I’m struggling driving , radio & decision making. As for decision making I see a car go by that I THINK had tints or nofront plate and I start to question myself and don’t go after it because I feel I’ll be wrong and get dinged for it.. this affects my decision making score. I was given 4 days to better myself the 1st two didn’t go so well the last one was “ok” but not great then I go back to my primary fto. Fto training is almost over but I feel it’s too late to improve. If say my biggest issue is I’m not 100% confident in the infraction I just saw ( tints , plates @ night) so I say I THINK that car had tints or no front plate. I once went after a car going 71 in a 55 but fto said r u sure that was the one and not this suv I doubted myself for a minute but I said no it was this sedan and issues him his ticket . I fill expected fto to say no u messed up that was not the car but he didnt. I honestly feel I have too many low marks in knowledge of patrol area ( I won’t be stationed in this area after fto) and driving ( it’s VERY dark and I’m hesitant to go 100 mph on dark winding road cuz of I crash I’m ****ed as the new guy) I’m willing to work w/o pay as long as I’m not let go , smh but some thing tells me that where it’s headed...
        How's your report writing going?

Comment

• themoj0
          themoj0 commented
          Editing a comment
          I was kind of wondering the same thing.

Reports have been good more than half percent of the time ,they have all pertinent information but have to organize it better. I have taken templates of how others have done it and base mine off of theirs. So it has been getting better , spelling & grammar aren’t an issue.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10547 users online. 323 members and 10224 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X