300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army to PD Transition

Hello everyone. I'm currently an MP at Fort Benning. I finally join the DD-214 club mid next year, and I'm planning to go back home to Ohio or neighboring Indiana. I think the Army has been a good stepping stone for me but that's just it... it's a stepping stone. Doing lots of ride alongs with PD's back home has spoiled me.

I have a lot of questions that I'm hoping I'll get answers to here. To my disappointment, I don't know any MP's personally who have actually transitioned successfully into civilian, non-DOD related law enforcement. Most MP's I've met have at least considered it but I think it is too risky for a lot of people, and some others just have a bad taste in their mouth about it. Well, I'm going to make the jump. Hopefully someone who has already made it can tell me about their experience.

I have already taken a couple of police exams. One I did very well on, and the other I failed. The first test I prepared for, and after having done so well on that one I did not prepare for the second one at all. I learned the hard way that it is definitely a good idea to review those free practice tests they give you! I was a little bit down about it but I've re-applied and plan to take it again in a couple of months.

If anyone has any questions about the military's version of law enforcement I'll be happy to answer them, though to be honest I am mostly just going to advise you to go civilian LE or pick a different MOS

Military LE is very different than Civilian LE, which you probably already know... the easiest transition is to DoD or Federal LE. The habits you picked up as an MP will more than likely go against what you will be taught as a civilian. With that said, be mindful that it may be a long process, but it is doable.
    USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
    "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
    DA Public Safety Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

I transition from a 31E to civilian LE. PM me any questions you may have.

Comment

Thanks scotty_appleton814, will do. And yes that is true J2H. I know it will be challenging, but I am also excited to see the differences and learn new things. I am a little bit nervous about the transition but am excited to do some good training and try mold myself to the particular department I go to.

Comment

I'm a former MP. Most of the people I hear say that military policing is nothing like civilian policing never was a MP.

Certainly the laws, policies and vernaculars are different between the 2. However the basic fundamentals are all the same.

My training and experience, in the military has helped me in this career. Like everything else it's how you apply what you've been taught, your maturity and competency.

Good luck.

Comment

Many years ago I was able ETS 3 months early to make a federa LE academy. I stayed federal and bought my military time back but it can be difficult to get both the federal LE position one wants in the preferred location. It’s usually one or the other.
            “There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
            DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

I was in the Security Police in the AF. Totally different in the real world. Our CO didn’t want to attract any negative attention he might have to explain to the base commander. When I went civilian, I actually got to write tickets and arrest people. It was great.

Comment

Originally posted by FireCop203 View Post
                I was in the Security Police in the AF. Totally different in the real world. Our CO didn’t want to attract any negative attention he might have to explain to the base commander. When I went civilian, I actually got to write tickets and arrest people. It was great.
                I suppose one way to lower the crime rate is to legalize everything. But I wouldn't care to live in such a world.

Comment

SW Ohio is struggling to find qualified applicants. Use your veteran's pref and your GI Bill to your advantage.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10947 users online. 403 members and 10544 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X