Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transitioning Handler

What’s up everyone,

I figured I’d take the time to make an introduction post. I’m currently a K9 Handler in the USAF and have been in for approximately 5 years. With the deployment tempo and the amount of wreckening on my body, it isn’t worth staying enlisted 20 years for a crappy retirement check. I got my bachelors degree to try and become an Officer but thats like winning the lottery. In the works of going federal at the moment... just trying to see which agency is going to pick me up.

TSA is hiring EDD Handlers. Start there, get in, then find someplace to land...if you want K9.

No agency will “pick you up”. You have to apply and pass all the steps, each time. You WON’T go into a K9 slot until you earn it. Seems there is still this false expectation that Vets get to bypass everything and just show up for a job.

Start applying so that when you ETS, you are ready to go.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      TSA is hiring EDD Handlers. Start there, get in, then find someplace to land...if you want K9.

No agency will “pick you up”. You have to apply and pass all the steps, each time. You WON’T go into a K9 slot until you earn it. Seems there is still this false expectation that Vets get to bypass everything and just show up for a job.

Start applying so that when you ETS, you are ready to go.
      Already halfway through the process with SS and CBP, I just said that as in which agency I can make it all the way through with. Thanks for the info though!

Comment

I was Air Force Security Forces as well, but never K9... you'll probably start at the bottom and have to work up to handler, but the above mentioned are good choices, plus DoD has a few civie K9 handlers too.
        USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
        "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
        DA Civilian Police Officer, APG MD

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaligator View Post
          What’s up everyone,

I figured I’d take the time to make an introduction post. I’m currently a K9 Handler in the USAF and have been in for approximately 5 years. With the deployment tempo and the amount of wreckening on my body, it isn’t worth staying enlisted 20 years for a crappy retirement check. I got my bachelors degree to try and become an Officer but thats like winning the lottery. In the works of going federal at the moment... just trying to see which agency is going to pick me up.
          Good luck on the job hunt.

- Stay away from TSA unless you are in need of a short term job until something better comes along. You already have the experience/education needed to land something better.

- CBP (OFO) and BP would be good options that offer good pay and the option of getting a dog again. The bad is that duty locations are somewhat limited.

- If you prefer a more prestigious badge/investigative duties and higher pay then an 1811 gig is the way to go. The bad is that there are few entry level openings.

Once you are picked up make sure that you buy your military time back as soon as possible.
          “There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
          DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

• TheMaligator
            TheMaligator commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the insight! I actually put in for an 1811 position and submitted initial paperwork for Schedule B, but I'm hearing that making it all the way through is like winning the lottery. I have about 12 months left until I separate from the military and applied in May, maybe i'll get lucky.

• Exbpa340
            Exbpa340 commented
            Editing a comment
            I was in your shoes many years ago. I was offered a position when I had 5 months left on my enlistment. I was able to get a 90 day drop and then took just under 60 days of terminal leave to make my academy date.

I am currently working on the military buyback
          USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
          "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
          DA Civilian Police Officer, APG MD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13697 users online. 497 members and 13200 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X