300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Corrections officer starting in a few weeks

Hello all new member here and also starting in the corrections field on July 23rd at my local Correctional Institute.. Feeling excited about this career change. Any one have any tips to help a newbie out?
    Thanks All and looking forward to more interactions with all of the members here

Listen to the veterans and don't be a dick. Watch your back along with your colleagues

Comment

Welcome!

I’ve been in corrections for about two years now. So I’m passed the rookie phase and a regular, but there is still a lot to learn. Here are some tips off the top of my head:

You’re new. The inmates will know you are new, so they will test you first thing. Never take what an inmate says at face value. Sometimes what an inmate says is true and helpful, but if it sounds fishy and off just ask another CO.

Don’t be scared to say no. No will be the most important word you have.

Inmates will ask you a bunch of stupid questions. A majority of the time they’ll already know the answer. However, they want to see how you response. They want to see if you know or you’re trying to bull**** them. If you don’t know just say I don’t know and if you tell them that you’ll follow up on it, do it. All you have is your reputation and it will follow you through the entire facility.

Another thing is just be you. Each CO have their own way of running a unit. Some are more laid back and others stricter. So take advice for each CO. If you like a way one CO does something then add it to your playbook. If you don’t like the way he does something else then disregard it. That way you built yourself up to be you and not someone you aren’t.

The first few days are going to suck. You don’t know what the **** is really going on and it can be overwhelming. However, you get used to it. Corrections is pretty much trial by fire they can only teach you so much at the academy. You just have to do it to get better.

However, the most important thing is common sense. If you have good common sense you’ll be fine.

Comment

There is a lot of good information in the BIG HOUSE section of this forum.............look back in the older posts

Start HERE

https://forum.officer.com/forum/offi...ng-of-a-duck-1
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

One of the first thing you will find out, is that the inmates will test you. They will see how much you like to talk, they will try to find out your interest, such as sports, and they will remember this info. They will push you to see just how much they can get away with. Don't let them. You will have some that will want to give you info, they will want something in return. The best advice I can give you is to always be consistent, be firm and be fair. If you tell them you will do something, for example, see if they have a balance in their commissary. Do it. Most of all, never let yourself be put in a position where an inmate could hold something over you. If you do something stupid and compromise your position or authority, then your career as a CO will be over. Too many CO's start out good, then do something stupid and minor or an inmate, but it could still cost them their job. The first time you accept something from them, or do something you know you shouldn't, they will hold that over you. You will also find that not everyone is cut out to be a CO. It's a lot of stress, more form administration than from inmates believe it or not. Also, you will change. I started out as a young man fresh out of the marines, and I will admit I was kind of timid being inside locked in with the inmates in the block. Several years later when I decided to leave, I oversaw shift changes and the inmate lockup at 9pm. I was also the guy that was called, regardless of time or duty status, if there was a problem in the block. Believe me, if I showed up on a Saturday wearing my fishing boots, but was called in to take care of something, even the older inmates started getting people to lock in before I started locking them in. I'm currently a PA State Constable.

Comment

Welcome to the Jungle! (forums)

What state are you in? One my teammate was a correction officer in Michigan for 9 years.
            Be sure to smile for the cameras.....

Comment

Congratulations on your new career and Welcome. I suggest reading 'Downing of a Duck' if you can find it. Fascinating. I'm police, but a 'corrections wannabe'. Stay with extremely experienced types like Iowa. He's an endless supply of wisdom and experience.
              Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
                Congratulations on your new career and Welcome. I suggest reading 'Downing of a Duck' if you can find it. Fascinating. I'm police, but a 'corrections wannabe'. Stay with extremely experienced types like Iowa. He's an endless supply of wisdom and experience.
                Downing of a Duck is linked below

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by dkishton1486 View Post
                  Any one have any tips to help a newbie out?
                  I am going to make a suggestion for the future.........................

Watch your senior officers.................not the Sgt's, not the Lieutenants, but the Senior line staff. Find one or two that you can tell have the respect of the inmates AND other staff. Pay attention to how they handle things. Pick out things they do that you like and that you see works. Try to incorporate those skills into your day.
                  Find a way to have one of those "old dogs" mentor you. Listen to them, watch them, emulate them.

As a ROOKIE...............you really need to understand why a person has TWO Eyes, TWO Ears but only ONE mouth.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11703 users online. 400 members and 11303 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X