Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighting for a spot in the academy (Ohio)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting for a spot in the academy (Ohio)

Stumbled upon this part of the forum so I figured I'd introduce myself. Name is Bauer, I'm 30 years old and I'm trying to earn a spot into the Toledo Police Academy in Ohio. I took the civil service test back in November, did really well on it and now have my fitness test and background check coming up in a couple of weeks. I've had one job in my adult life which I am still currently at. It started as a full time temp job (first full time job for me) and ended up turning into a career over the last 10 years as I've gotten promotions. I've always looked up to good LE and it's something I've wanted to do since I was a kid. Once my wife and I started a family, it was basically a pipe dream or a fantasy...I figured the ship had sailed because there was no way I could go take the academy at the local CC and not take a salary for 6 months. (+ the time it would take to be hired in somewhere)

I've never felt like I'm doing what I'm suppose to be doing. I've always felt like I should have been in LE..so in October I just happened to get onto the local PD website and see they were accepting applications to take the civil service test for a shot at the academy. So here I am at 30 finally chasing the dream. I don't know that I've ever wanted something so badly, so I'm hopeful it works out. Wife and kids are very excited and support it 100% and I know this is what I was meant to do...this is what's going to give me the fulfillment I've been missing in my career. I believe the academy is set to begin in June.

(sorry for the long winded intro. lol)
    The loudest one in the room is the weakest.

Originally posted by Bauer View Post
    Stumbled upon this part of the forum so I figured I'd introduce myself. Name is Bauer, I'm 30 years old and I'm trying to earn a spot into the Toledo Police Academy in Ohio. I took the civil service test back in November, did really well on it and now have my fitness test and background check coming up in a couple of weeks. I've had one job in my adult life which I am still currently at. It started as a full time temp job (first full time job for me) and ended up turning into a career over the last 10 years as I've gotten promotions. I've always looked up to good LE and it's something I've wanted to do since I was a kid. Once my wife and I started a family, it was basically a pipe dream or a fantasy...I figured the ship had sailed because there was no way I could go take the academy at the local CC and not take a salary for 6 months. (+ the time it would take to be hired in somewhere)

I've never felt like I'm doing what I'm suppose to be doing. I've always felt like I should have been in LE..so in October I just happened to get onto the local PD website and see they were accepting applications to take the civil service test for a shot at the academy. So here I am at 30 finally chasing the dream. I don't know that I've ever wanted something so badly, so I'm hopeful it works out. Wife and kids are very excited and support it 100% and I know this is what I was meant to do...this is what's going to give me the fulfillment I've been missing in my career. I believe the academy is set to begin in June.

(sorry for the long winded intro. lol)

Good luck in your endeavors!

Let's hope that lifelong dream of yours won't turn out to be a nightmare. Keep your expectations in check.

Comment

You mean as far as getting in and graduating or as far as what I think the job will be like?

I'm definitely keeping my expectations in check as far as getting in... as far as the job itself, I don't anticipate something glorious and fun..or that I'll be some sort of super hero that will go home smiling and loving my life everyday after work, so I'm good there. lol

Comment

Best wishes Bauer, and welcome to the forums. Keep us updated on your progress.

Comment

Thanks man, I'm hoping to be able to use this as an avenue to get some "real life" tips for the job should I get it. Seems to me, learning from people who do the job everyday is about as good as you could hope for. While I'm sure the academy will hold value to someone who's never been involved in law enforcement, like anything else I'd imagine live experiences are tough to simulate.

Comment

Originally posted by Bauer View Post
            You mean as far as getting in and graduating or as far as what I think the job will be like?

I'm definitely keeping my expectations in check as far as getting in... as far as the job itself, I don't anticipate something glorious and fun..or that I'll be some sort of super hero that will go home smiling and loving my life everyday after work, so I'm good there. lol
            I meant as far as the job itself and finding "fulfillment" doing it.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all from pursuing this career. I would just caution you not to go into it with unrealistic expectations. You sound like you've got your head on straight though.

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

I meant as far as the job itself and finding "fulfillment" doing it.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all from pursuing this career. I would just caution you not to go into it with unrealistic expectations. You sound like you've got your head on straight though.
              No doubt man. I just get no sense of purpose being a desk jockey in a corporate setting. I'd rather be doing something like LO for sure. But I AM definitely anticipating getting at least some type of personal gratification for having a career that I feel matters instead of one to just simply pay the bills. I guess that's where I'm at with that. I'd be proud to be a LEO.

Comment

But as I said before..I'm not going into thinking it'll be rainbows and sunshine with theme music playing in the background. lol

Comment

Welcome to the forums Bauer.

Best of luck in achieving this endeavor. I myself live in Lorain Ohio and am hoping to get in with the State Highway Patrol in a few years.

Maybe we'll cross paths some day.

Comment

Well, after the interview process, I turned out to be the 20th alternate for the class.....out of 20. lol However, the fitness test was given again today at different time slots and The Psych test was yesterday. Just in my sessions alone, there were a total of 3 no shows and a failed fitness test. (Psych results won't be for a couple of weeks. At minimum I am up to #16 right now. I was told that the previous class had 19 alternates get in.

So here's to some failed fitness/psych.medical tests and possibly a couple of shocked individuals quitting the academy after a few days if that's what it takes for me to get in.

I'm just sticking with the mindset of controlling what I can control.

Comment

And that’s ALL you can do. Well done. You WILL get there.
                      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Thanks man.

Just got news from someone in another session that they had 1 person not show as well.

Up to #15.

Comment

Bauer

Here is another "good luck in your endeavors"

NOW, just sit back and see what happens........................You need to understand that very few people get hired on during their FIRST attempt. Yes it does happen but when it does it is unusual. MOST new officers will have up to 10 application processes before they get hired.

Now that doesn't mean anything other than the competition is really tough.

Be prepared to reapply and or find another agency if neecssary.

Again Good luck
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Congrats on making it this far in the process! You've given it your all. Now it's just a numbers game. Hopefully you'll get in this time around. If not, keep your head up and keep applying. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8567 users online. 434 members and 8133 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X