X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from SoCal!

Hi everyone!
    So this is my 1st post.

I'm going to be working in an administrative, support (civilian) role for a LE agency after background.

It's all very new to me and I'm trying to learn as much as possible in advance. I thought it might be nice to meet some who do the same line of work and officers/deputies to get more knowledge about the field in general.

I appreciate any advice you may have, and if you have more specific questions, maybe PM might be better.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by LE_Secretary; 11-13-2017, 11:19 PM.

Hi,
    Is your overall goal to be an officer or are you sticking with the civilian post?

Comment

Originally posted by TMS216 View Post
      Hi,
      Is your overall goal to be an officer or are you sticking with the civilian post?
      Hi there,
      Thankfully there is a lot of room for mobility within the civilian portion of this department. So my goal is to grow in a support role.

Do you have advice? What is your experience?

Comment

Welcome to O.com, and I'm happy you are getting your foot in the door in a great line of work. Your ambitions will no doubt change some over time. By seeing the job from a little different, yet closer vantage point than most people do, you will decide if you should venture that way or not. My advice is to just get ready for a wide range of people's (officers) sense of humor. Even in that role, you will need tough skin.

Comment

Originally posted by DeaconSteve View Post
          Welcome to O.com, and I'm happy you are getting your foot in the door in a great line of work. Your ambitions will no doubt change some over time. . . My advice is to just get ready for a wide range of people's (officers) sense of humor. Even in that role, you will need tough skin.
          Thanks so much! I agree. I intend to keep myself open to whatever opportunities might arise.

I've had the opportunity to do a little volunteering. I'm kind of a bleeding ♡ , so thank you for that; I will use this time to prepare emotionally.

Comment

Welcome to the O and good luck.

Advice? Stay out of the gossip mill ...... both as a participant and as a subject.
            Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
            “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
            “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
            "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
            ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

Originally posted by Langford PR View Post
              Welcome to the O and good luck.

Advice? Stay out of the gossip mill ...... both as a participant and as a subject.
              Thank you.
              I needed that.

Comment

Originally posted by LE_Secretary View Post

Hi there,
                Thankfully there is a lot of room for mobility within the civilian portion of this department. So my goal is to grow in a support role.

Do you have advice? What is your experience?
                I have only worked as an officer (not counting non LE agency employers). What I have found though is I much more enjoy working for government be it state, city, county as opposed to private sector which I spent more years than I care to count in.
                The best advice I can give you though is to absorb information and find the way that works best for you. But remember since you are working for a law enforcement agency you still have a responsibility to represent that agency to the best. The media and public judge the agency as a whole from the Chief of Police all the way to the graveyard janitor.

Comment

Best advice? Don’t post on here in the LE only restricted forums.

Comment

• LE_Secretary
                    LE_Secretary commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ((Gasp*)) I would never!
                    No identity crisis.

welcome, what part of so cal?

Comment

• LE_Secretary
                    LE_Secretary commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you sir. As for part B...

Originally posted by TMS216 View Post
                  I much more enjoy working for government be it state, city, county as opposed to private sector... The best advice I can give you though is to absorb information and find the way that works best for you. But remember since you are working for a law enforcement agency you still have a responsibility to represent that agency to the best. The media and public judge the agency as a whole from the Chief of Police all the way to the graveyard janitor.
                  Yes, thank you. I love working in the public sector. It truly feels like a way to give back. I really appreciate that advice, and will definitely apply it.

I specifically chose to work in this sector because I appreciate those high standards and want to do my utmost to maintain them, both on and off the shift. That is how I strive to live my life in general, and my personal values are in sync with the department's. I'm very passionate about the department and both hope and pray (and plan) for a great career ahead. I hope the same for you and your family!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10061 users online. 436 members and 9625 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X