Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from San Diego.

Hey everyone,

26 years old, currently active duty Navy. Looking to separate in the next 2 years and seeing if law enforcement is a possible career to have lined up prior to separating. I have a family so therefore, I cannot go long being unemployed, looking for work. I'm going to start taking classes in criminal justice and I am trying to get in with San Diego police department and volunteer some time. Main reason I am on here is to see if I can link up with someone that may have been in this situation. Please I don't want to hear people telling me to stay in or what ever. I'm looking for information on what I can do now to better my chances of getting hired, possibly applying in a location I do not currently live, and is there a way to get hired while still active duty. I really appreciate everyone's help. Thank you!

aarog,

Since this is the Introduction thread, I will go ahead and extend my welcome to you and thank you for your service to our great Country. I am way over on the right coast, and can't say what happens over on the other side. I can tell you, that it is possible to line up an academy when you separate, but of course that depends on if your separation date lines up with the academy start date. You can research when the agencies you are interested in conduct them each year. In my case, I separated from the Air Force and waited about a month before my academy started. I would also suggest you read other threads here about college degrees and decide what might be best for you.

Comment

Welcome aboard from a fellow Veteran. I was unemployed for a good bit after getting out, took some security gigs just to make some money, but ended up getting picked up by the state.
      USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
      "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
      DA Civilian Police Officer, APG MD

Comment

I ETS’d many years ago but was able to get a 90 day drop from my enlistment and then used about 60 days of terminal leave to make my academy. So for nearly 2 months of the academy I was also on terminal leave from the Army.
        “There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
        DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

I had 81 days saved up when I ETS'd, so my sep date was in September, but I outprocessed and went back home on Terminal Leave in July.
          USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
          "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
          DA Civilian Police Officer, APG MD

Comment

Hi Aarog,
            Wondering if you have had any luck with your search since you posted this. I was you 21 years ago, Navy, in SD. I hired on with the San Diego Sheriff's immediately after my EOAS. I then went to U.S. Customs and have been with them since. I would definitely consider going to usajobs.gov and putting in for either U.S. Border Patrol or Customs and Border Protection Officer asap. We are hiring veterans on their own announcements now, huge push for our type. You don not need a college degree due to you being a veteran. That is a major plus...now here is the downside. CBP/OFO is the guys at the ports of entry in blue uniforms. Not a high speed job in many locations to be honest. The south west border is hopping with narcotics and either OFO or BP have more action. The pay is very good, better than many local departments, and then sometimes not as much. I would definitely look into it and put as many pokers in the fire as you can. Best of luck to you. Contact me if you need help, or call the ports in San Diego and ask to speak with a recruiter.

Comment

Originally posted by FmrHammerMonkey View Post
              Hi Aarog,
              Wondering if you have had any luck with your search since you posted this. I was you 21 years ago, Navy, in SD. I hired on with the San Diego Sheriff's immediately after my EOAS. I then went to U.S. Customs and have been with them since. I would definitely consider going to usajobs.gov and putting in for either U.S. Border Patrol or Customs and Border Protection Officer asap. We are hiring veterans on their own announcements now, huge push for our type. You don not need a college degree due to you being a veteran. That is a major plus...now here is the downside. CBP/OFO is the guys at the ports of entry in blue uniforms. Not a high speed job in many locations to be honest. The south west border is hopping with narcotics and either OFO or BP have more action. The pay is very good, better than many local departments, and then sometimes not as much. I would definitely look into it and put as many pokers in the fire as you can. Best of luck to you. Contact me if you need help, or call the ports in San Diego and ask to speak with a recruiter.
              Besides corrections, where did you work for SDSO?
              Last edited by Pogue Mahone; 02-11-2018, 02:38 PM. Reason: Clarification
              This Space For Rent

Comment

El Cajon/ Downtown court services. No patrol, merger of county Marshal's in 99.

Comment

A bit off topic, BUT i LOVE SAN DIEGO.

Welcome Aarog, and best of luck!!
                  SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                  SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Any thoughts on SDPD and SDSO ?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10871 users online. 453 members and 10418 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X